Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » We have a serious problem! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: We have a serious problem!
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll need to close down this message board later tonight to fix some serious issues we are having. It's technical and too complicated to go into, sorry.

The Trophy Room is closed down until it can be repaired. Other forums may suffer the same fate until I can close down and rebuild this entire message board.

I don't have time for it now. Sorry.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Great. Jus'great...

This anything to do with the move to the new server?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes!

And the fact that Scott and I had to set up two MB's instead of one.

People are getting serious error messages and posts aren't being recorded because the program is confused as to where to put things. Frankly, I was surprised we lasted this long without more problems. I figured out how to fix each problem as it occurs, but now it's infected the entire Trophy Room forum.

I "fixed" the topics by deleting them and restoring them and forcing the MB to find it again. I'll need to do that for the Trophy Room.

But, more importantly, this problem will continue and become widespread unless I fix things tonight. Because after tonight I'll be gone or have very little time for Legion World until a week from Monday. Tomorrow my BF arrives and on Sunday I'll be going to New York until I work on Thursday. And of course work will prevent me from doing much of anything until that Monday.

Anyway...

I'll need to close down the enitre board later tonight. If you get any errors before then, PM me about it. If you get any errors after tonight, well... [Evil] They'll just have to wait. Sorry. [Frown]

Gary

[ October 14, 2003, 02:54 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
UGH!

The problem has not been solved. I've run out of time. I can't figure this out right now. I've restored things as best I could.

Su, sorry, but I deleted your Brainic 5 eBay post before I had a back up to restore it with. [Frown]

Otherwise, I've learned that posts that were made but don't show up are embedded within the files data. So later on I can restore them. When I've figured out this current configuration problem. That's about as much of an explanation as I can give you.

The error messages will still exist but the information is retained.

I'll have time to devote to the problem in a week and a half.

Gary

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Crap! Sorry that you have to put out yet another fire to keep this thing running.

I hope you have a jolly good time with the BF btw! You need some downtime from the problems of this place!

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Close the star gates! It's speading. [Eek!]

quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
I'll need to close down this message board later tonight to fix some serious issues we are having. It's technical and too complicated to go into, sorry.

Yeah, yeah, we know, we be toooo dumb. [Wink]
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
I just got this error message when I logged in
quote:
Can't open 'CachePath/ubb_files/summary/summary.html'.

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
Stale NFS file handle

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks. I need that info. I'll see what I can do without my computer.
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I believe I've actually fixed the problem this time. *crosses fingers*

Please post here if you get the infamous error message again. Thanks.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I didn't get the error the googoomuck got but I got this error just now when posting in the MMB. It seems to be the only place I get the error.

quote:
Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open 'CachePath/ubb_files/forums/Forum4/000562.cgi'.

Stale NFS file handle

» Please use your browser's back button to return.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
this just popped up for me guys, hope it aint too bad! I have total faith in your technomancy skills, Bxx

Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open 'CachePath/ubb_files/summary/summary.html'.

Stale NFS file handle

» Please use your browser's back button to return.

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
The problem is the cache for this site. It won't refresh unless you force it to. In fact, it wouldn't let me delete or move the cache for Forum 3 (the Trophy Room), I finally was able to rename that folder in order to get that forum back to "normal." It looks like my fix was for the symptom and not the cure.

It'll have to wait until Monday, though. My schedule is about to hit the ground running. Sorry.

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
The problem is the cache for this site. It won't refresh unless you force it to. In fact, it wouldn't let me delete or move the cache for Forum 3 (the Trophy Room), I finally was able to rename that folder in order to get that forum back to "normal." It looks like my fix was for the symptom and not the cure.

It'll have to wait until Monday, though. My schedule is about to hit the ground running. Sorry.

I'm sorry I haven't been able to be any more help Gary. You were supposed to be sharing some quality time with the BF and not worrying about us. We have another round of doctor appointments today and I have an all day meeting on Saturday but I'll do what I can on Sunday.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Guys, I don't think anyone here expects this board to be your main focus in life. Please don't feel obligated to spend time you don't have trying to fix things that really won't make or break us.

Do what you need to do in real life first, and then worry about the site. If the worst case scenario is that some of us find it too difficult to use the board for a few days, well... that really isn't that big a deal.

I love this board as much as the next person, but if I end up going without for a few days, I think I'll be able to manage somehow, and I'm sure everyone else can too [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Crujectra:
Guys, I don't think anyone here expects this board to be your main focus in life. Please don't feel obligated to spend time you don't have trying to fix things that really won't make or break us.

Do what you need to do in real life first, and then worry about the site. If the worst case scenario is that some of us find it too difficult to use the board for a few days, well... that really isn't that big a deal.

I love this board as much as the next person, but if I end up going without for a few days, I think I'll be able to manage somehow, and I'm sure everyone else can too [Smile]

Agreed, with the exception of that cringe-worthy word "Obligated". It's "OBLIGED" dammit...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.