Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » We have a serious problem! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: We have a serious problem!
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sanity or Madness?:
quote:
Originally posted by Crujectra:
Guys, I don't think anyone here expects this board to be your main focus in life. Please don't feel obligated to spend time you don't have trying to fix things that really won't make or break us.

Agreed, with the exception of that cringe-worthy word "Obligated". It's "OBLIGED" dammit...
Both mean the same thing. Why do you cringe at "obligated"?

From Merriam-Websters:
Obligate:
Main Entry: 1ob·li·gate
Pronunciation: 'ä-bl&-"gAt
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -gat·ed; -gat·ing
Etymology: Latin obligatus, past participle of obligare
Date: 1533
1 : to bind legally or morally : CONSTRAIN

Oblige:
Main Entry: oblige
Pronunciation: &-'blIj
Function: verb
Inflected Form(s): obliged; oblig·ing
Etymology: Middle English, from Old French obliger, from Latin obligare, literally, to bind to, from ob- toward + ligare to bind -- more at LIGATURE
Date: 14th century
transitive senses
1 : to constrain by physical, moral, or legal force or by the exigencies of circumstance <obliged to find a job>
2 a : to put in one's debt by a favor or service <we are much obliged for your help> b : to do a favor for <always ready to oblige a friend>
intransitive senses : to do something as or as if a favor

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Agreed, with the exception of that cringe-worthy word "Obligated". It's "OBLIGED" dammit...

If you don't like the way I say it, make your own post, dear [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
For me, the two words have different connotations.

OBLIGED- has a more positive, slightly archaic feel to it. "Much obliged, stranger!" would be an example.

OBLIGATED- is more negative, like you're forced into doing something you don't want to do because of your responsibilities. "I'm obligated to go to this boring and stuffy fundraiser because I'm president of the club."

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
What the Princess said, more or less, the essence of it, you know....We love the Board but we love you more (ain't that sweet?). So take care of yourselves first; Legion World can just sit in orbit out there in M81. Ask Bode.
From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Crujectra:
quote:

If you don't like the way I say it, make your own post, dear [Wink]
Cru, well said!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It's "OBLIGED" dammit...

It's "damn it," not "dammit"... damn it! [Wink]
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

quote:
Originally posted by STU:
quote:
It's "OBLIGED" dammit...

It's "damn it," not "dammit"... damn it! [Wink]
[Laugh Out Loud] [Laugh Out Loud]

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sonnie
mere mortal

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sonnie   Email Sonnie         Edit/Delete Post     
This just popped up Nighty,

Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open 'CachePath/ubb_files/summary/summary.html'.

The exact error returned by the operating system is:
Stale NFS file handle

Hope it's nothing too major...

From: home sweet home... unless i'm posting from work | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Sonnie, I got that message too!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Damn! I was hoping, unrealistically I guess, that this had cleared up on its on. I'm not sure what we can do short of rebuilding the site again.

Gary, I've made a back up of the site as of about 8:30 tonight. Sans the Temp/Movies/Cache folders. Give me a holler when you have some time.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sonnie Bloke:
This just popped up Nighty,

Sorry, UBB has encountered an unexpected, fatal error. This error is extremely abnormal. Please contact the board administration. The error text is:

Can't open 'CachePath/ubb_files/summary/summary.html'.

Stale NFS file handle

Hope it's nothing too major...

When do you guys get this message? What part of the site are you at? The front/main page?

If so let me know if you get it now, I've tried something else and I'd like to know if it worked.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Nightcrawler:
When do you guys get this message? What part of the site are you at? The front/main page?

If so let me know if you get it now, I've tried something else and I'd like to know if it worked.

Just got it...

http://www.legionworld.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=000563&p=2#000018

quote:
FYI

Can't open 'CachePath/ubb_files/forums/Forum4/000563-2.cgi'.

Stale NFS file handle

» Please use your browser's back button to return.

Just after I'd posted (came straight after the redirect page)

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:

Partly because I've never actually heard anyone use it in real life, partly because it sounds like it was put through a meat grinder while someone came up with it (obli-gate - two harsh consonants in one two-syllable word), partly just because [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
quote:

Partly because I've never actually heard anyone use it in real life, partly because it sounds like it was put through a meat grinder while someone came up with it (obli-gate - two harsh consonants in one two-syllable word), partly just because [Smile]
I've never really heard anyone use "obliged" in real life [Smile]

To each his own

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
I've just tried to get onto the Mission Monitor Board and this popped up -

Member profile corrupt (blank): '13'

- is this a bad thing? (Well as it stopped me getting to the zaniest site in creation obviously it is, but what I mean is it isn't going to be a sign of things to come is it?)

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.