Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » UBB.LEGIONWORLD » Science Police Headquarters » Legionworld - a Blight on Legion Fanism? (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Legionworld - a Blight on Legion Fanism?
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know how many of you here even bother with Yahoo Groups anymore. Seems most of the Legion ones (with the exception of the LMBP and Legion 3004) are vast wastelands of nothing. Not that I have anything against them, I think Yahoo has come close to killing off the Groups. But I still subscribe to most digest wise.

One of the oldest ones that I'm aware of is Legion-List (established Oct. 1999). I really can't say that I've ever paticipated much except to maybe answer a question or two but I really don't think we've deserved the latest round of postings. Of course I could post counter-points to what I'll post here but I don't have the time nor do I feel like wasting what time I do have on this group any longer. Sort of the "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Anyone who believes that their group doesn't go off on a tangent or start heated arguments is deluded. Anyway, here is there latest. True or not?

quote:

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:46:20 -0000
Subject: Legionworld - a blight on Legion fanism?

Hi!

I guess the people that set the Legionworld site up thought they were doing the right thing but...has anyone that's had a look at it
recently thought it's just like one big clique?

Don't we all want to talk about how great Phantom Girl's flares are? That site's nuts. I don't get it.

Anyway, that's my contribution for the day! Glad to be here!

quote:

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 00:56:43 -0000
Subject: Re: Legionworld - a blight on Legion fanism?

Well I can't say that we haven't gone there and there are stranger places a group can go. Trust me, I've seen it (even helped cause a slight degree of strangeness [Smile] ). Jump right in over here with anything you want. It's quiet now but good lord do we post in bunches.

Terry

quote:

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:48:36 EST

I thought it was okay, but didn't join... it does seem a bit like a "clique."

Not that it's bad... just never felt like jumping into the threads there.

quote:

Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 06:34:13 -0800 (PST)

I posted regularly on the old DC Boards before they re-formatted them and ruined them. Initially, I didn't post at Legionworld because of technical problems. I registered at received a screen name and set my password, but I couldn't log in with it. By the time I got it working, I'd lost interest. I've pretty much dropped out of Legion fandom lately. I still read the book religiously (or will when the
new one comes out) but you can only discuss the same topics over and over so many times. What drove me crazy at both the boards and LW, especially over the last few years, is no one really talked about the book itself. Everyone was more interested in talking about which Legionnaire is the most powerful, who should be
gay, Legion vs. X-Men, JLA, etc, 101 uses for a dead Legionnaire, etc. Silly topics seem to rule, and even topics such as a gay Legionnaire that could be interesting, turn into flame wars or regress off topic. I've honestly seen posts about the book itself go virtually unanswered while topics like Tinya's bellbottoms go for pages and pages. Some of the more interesting posters with opinions that didn't agree with the DnA direction pretty much left the board because people got so nasty with them. After that, it just became such a clique that I lost interest.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
aliaslad is Andrew (CK) stirring up shit because he was kicked off LW for being a dick. What a jerk.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
That's what I was thinking. But I don't even pretend to know everyone's ALTs.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
You could almost say that any established site that you join can appear cliquish, simply because it's always tough to be the new kid in a group full of long-term friends. However, I think we go farther out of our way to make people feel welcome than most other places.

I think it's simply a matter of someone trying to stir up trouble.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
I love how someone can think that one place (LW) is a big clique, so they go somewhere else, another clique (Legion List), and talk about them.

This is a total "WHATEVER" in my opinion.

I've been part of lots of different online fan forums and can say for sure that a person is responsible for their own level of enjoyment. There are always going to be a group of people who know each other better than others. They see a lot of new people come and go. The ones who fit in are the ones who want to fit in.

LegionWorlders, don't let stuff like this get you down!!! We do like our silly stuff and we do discuss actual published appearances. We are open and inviting. We are a great resource for any Legion fan. LLL!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
I call bullshit! I just joined here a little over a month ago, and you guys went out of your way to make me feel welcome. Sure there are some "in-jokes" among the people who have been here from the beginning, but it's like that everywhere. LONG LIVE LEGION WORLD!!!
[Brainiac 5 - Re-Imagined]

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
legionworld is the second online site i've ever felt comfortable to take an active part in (WEF was the 1st)

i mean, outside of sex sites of course

lol

is it cliquish? i don't know
i do know there are so many different kinds of people and interests on legionworld that i felt like i could join up and take part

also, so many posters made me think or laugh and that's usually a good sign that i want to join the party

on legionworld, i've geeked out, met some cool people, talked about everything from Legion to comics to HIV to my own grad school troubles and been promoted to adviser of the polls section (probably a direct result of the geek-out moments i mentioned) -- this is a place where many of my worlds meet, not just legion

[ December 15, 2004, 11:56 AM: Message edited by: 235 - Andy S ]

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Everyone who is outside a group looking in will feel it is cliquish unless they make an effort to get involved. No site can be the "be all and end all" for everyone out there. I think we are much more open and welcoming here than any other website I have ever visited and that's really all you can ask for.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
aliaslad is Comet King (who has been recently dismissed due to insults and other rude behavior) and I see it as sour grapes.

wes posts here a lot. David Marshall is LSHJSA, member #159, who has yet to post. I think we spend a lot of time and energy discussing the issues themselves when they merit it or there is one. [Smile] But I take it that some of the responders would prefer that no one post a topic about anything until then?!? [Confused] Discuss what you want. Skip what you don't is my motto.

Nobody's putting a gun to anybody's head. (Shut up Pov! [Razz] )

[ December 15, 2004, 11:18 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This place, particularly the Legion forum, is one of the most open and inviting anyone will ever find on the web. ‘Nuff said.

That's just Comet King being Comet King. Thankfully, he's not doing it here anymore [Smile]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Bah! Legion World is Indie Rock!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I am a clique of one!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I am the clique consisting of all cliques that do not contain themselves as members.

(a li'l set theory in-joke there).

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Director Lad
aka Sudro Brown II

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Director Lad   Email Director Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
In my online life, I've participated in many different fan-forum message boards. I've posted on boards for bands, tv shows, movies, and comics. LegionWorld is the only board I check daily and have done so for more than a year now. I don't remember the last time I checked any of the myriad other boards I'm a member of. I consistently find that the level of debate, the maturity of the members, and the genuine love of the subject is higher here than any other board I've ever been on. Personal attacks generally don't happen and flame wars are (usually) extinguished before they can get going. This is such a welcoming atmosphere that we've welcomed several of the Legion's creators to this board for vigorous discussions about the series. There may be a lot of off-topic discussions, but more often, the silly posts are derived directly from our affection for the Legion (I'll admit I don't usually read those, but I recognize the spirit that spurs people to create them). As far as I can tell the only posters that have been asked to leave are those that can't treat everyone else here with respect, and in my experience that's only happened twice! That's gotta be some kind of record.

I usually don't connect strongly on a personal level with people that I "meet" online, but there are a lot of people on this board that I feel like I know. That has surprised, impressed, and pleased me in the last year or so.

Anyone who doesn't feel welcome here, probably isn't welcome here, not because we're cliquish, but because they didn't have the maturity to interact in an adult way with the other members of this board.

Wow, I just wrote a lot! I guess I feel more strongly about this than I'd realized!

From: Los Angeles, CA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally I don't know of anyway to make a message board be less cliquish than Legion World.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.