Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » LEGIOPARDY! (an archive) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: LEGIOPARDY! (an archive)
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Exnihil

-
MOOD MUSIC

-
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

So that was Season 3... as I said, probably my favorite of the four, and definitely my favorite "Final LEGIOPARDY" clue.

I mentioned late in the game that I was going to the 2008 San Diego Comicon, and it was there that I first met the Legion World gang, an event that was to radically change my message board habits and eventually spell the end of my time at the DCMB. But that was still a couple months away after the end of the above game, and for the time being, I was still relatively satisfied there.

One piece of LEGIOPARDY ephemera that I do want to include at this point is something that didn't appear in the game thread itself, but in a different thread where the poster, Amarta (always a super-funny fellow) had made a remark about the celebrity career of "Ali-3 Bek" prior to hosting game shows. As you can tell by my current avatar, I'm a big fan of "Golden Age" entertainment, so I began to imagine "Ali-3" as having been a Vegas-style entertainer ala the 1950's Rat Pack.

I mocked up the below image and told a funny little story... now lost to the ages... about how Ali-3 used to hang with the big guns as part of the "Parakat Pack" back in the 2950's on Ventura. There was R. J. Brande, of course, the charismatic leader of the pack; Marla Latham, the "handsome 'gentleman friend' " of R.J., Prince Jonn (later King), that "dashing young prince of Pasnic", and Otto Orion, who later got into big-game hunting and tragically "went quite mad".

-

It's a goofy thing, but I was always happy with how little Photoshop tinkering (apart from trying to desaturate Sammy Davis Jr's hands - which never really worked to my satisfaction) that it actually took suggest Legion characters out of Frank, Dino, Sammy, Peter, and Joey.

Next up... the tragicomic tale of Season 4 and a farewell to the DCMBs.

--------------------

kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, those games were fun! [Smile]

Ex, thanks for re-posting these!

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil

No problem, ken, it's actually been a nice walk down memory lane to take a look at all this stuff.

It's so strange to think that five years have passed since you and I first "met". We have got to get you out to a convention one of these days, I think I've promised you a drink about 100 times by now. [Smile]

So... Spring 2008 turned to Summer 2008, and I headed out to San Diego for my first Comic Con. While there, I hung out with LEGIOPARDY regular, ultron7, and met a bunch of the guys from Legion World (who were still strangers to me at the time). Everyone seemed so friendly that, upon my return home, I started to check out the site (I had registered earlier that year, but had never really poked around much).

Coming from the DC boards, Legion World was just amazing. So many features that probably don't seem like that much to anyone who frequents other message boards were just not available at the DCMBs. Private messaging, avatars, the ability to edit posts beyond a 30 minute limit, the ability to actually include images in posts... all not available at DC. (The images you see in these archived threads were added in for posting here... originally they were just hyper linked urls pointing to the image files).

Anyway, these new features opened my eyes to the possibilities of the type of event I could design if I weren't limited by the archaic nature of the DC boards. Almost immediately the gears started spinning and, three months later, of all the things I've ever done online, the single project that I'm most proud was born: Survivor: Marzal.

I won't go into all the ins and out of S:M, as that thread is there for anyone who wants to check it out, but, suffice to say, I was in love with Legion World. I still popped back and forth between the two sites, but found myself frequenting the DCMBs less and less as time went on.

Another 7 or 8 months passed. I was now consulting for a company in the city of Philadelphia. I'm not sure why, but, sometime in late May 2009, I was struck by a wave of nostalgia for the old vibe of the DCMB and - almost on a lark - I decided to revisit my first online project, LEGIOPARDY. If I had been smart, I would have thought to host it here on Legion World, made it all slick, and lured all the old DC posters here to play - but, I wasn't thinking and, out of habit, I said to myself that LEGIOPARDY = DCMB.

Even before I kicked it off, though, I could feel myself losing the passion for it. If I didn't it preface it this way, an outside reader probably couldn't tell the difference. It seems like the same type thing as the previous three seasons - there is even a neat little element this time around where all of the categories are references to other game show titles or sayings, making it seem like I'm still being creative - but trust me, I can see that I was on auto pilot.

I delayed the start of the game because I hadn't written all the clues by my own deadline; gone are the fun little things like "meeting our contestants"; there is a huge drop off in the amount of images I included (and none of my own design); and once I got the game started you can see that I was rushing though it just to get it over with. I realized that I was trying to recapture something that had already ended a year prior.

Compounding the issue was the fact that - yet again - a certain poster was doing everything he could to be an annoyance to me. Refusing to become familiar with the simplest of guidelines that no one else seemed to have difficulty following; breaking the natural rhythm of the game by interjecting inanities; making ridiculous demands out of me to cater to his specific needs. Finally, I just snapped and told him, in public, exactly what I thought. Some might think that I was too harsh, but it was very soul crushing to have someone always disparaging something that you had worked so hard to make enjoyable. But, eh, whatever - it was all a long time ago.

In any case, for better or worse, LEGIOPARDY Season 4:

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

Exnihil

-
 -
 -
 -

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.