Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Queer Eye for the Super-Guy (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Queer Eye for the Super-Guy
snowsparkle
glacial

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowsparkle   Email snowsparkle         Edit/Delete Post     
Personally, I'll have to agree with them about Aquaman's hair, at least. Long hair + saltwater = nasty hair. *sigh* I miss the curls. But then, I love blond curls. *ahem*

--------------------
Action Transvestite! Running, jumping, climbing trees... and putting on make-up while you're up there!
-Eddie Izzard

From: the incandescent world of ice | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
There's actually a story behind that Aquaman outfit, and why Tempest's outfit resembles it so much.

The Aquaman costume was designed by editor Neil Pozner for the miniseries that cover is from. Neil and Phil Jimenez were in a relationship up to the time of his death from AIDS. Phil redesigned Garth as Tempest for his mini-series, and based his new look on Pozner's design for Aquaman.

It's much more touching to hear Phil tell it; check out the lettercols in the TEMPEST mini.

hey !!

thanks for the info, POV !!

you learn something new every day !!

i didn't know Phil and Neil had been together !! i remember seeing little tributes to Neil in Phil's work !! i thought it was something like, Neil had inspired Phil to draw, or he'd get Phil his first job, or something like that ......

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I had to dig this out; Made me bawl like a baby as I reread and typed it up... [Embarrassed] This is Phil's closing piece to the lettercol of TEMPEST #4:

And finally...

Has anyone out there noticed the similarity between Tempest's new costume and the one Aquaman wore in his first miniseries, almost 11 years ago? You should. Designed by Neal Pozner and drawn by Craig Hamilton, that blue and white costume of Aquaman's was another direct inspiration affecting this miniseries-- more than a decade after it first saw publication.

Some of you may have seen Neal's name a lot in the pages of DC Comics the past couple of years, creeping up in dedications like mine. Neal had an incredibly long history with DC Comics, starting as a youngster reading THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES with Paul Levitz
(YAY!--Pov [Big Grin] ) and ending as Senior Editor, Creative Services, until he passed away in 1994.

To me, Neal was many things, and often the first: He gave me my first pencilling job at DC Comics; I was his first new freelancer hire when he returned to DC Comics in 1991 after a sabbatical in advertising; he was the first man I ever asked out on a date; he was my first boyfriend; he was the first person I'd ever watched live with and die from complications from AIDS. His life and death moved a number of people-- I'm not sure if he could fathom or believe how many-- and every positive contribution I make to comics is inspired by and for him, whereever he is.

A quick story: Neal wasn't a particularly good swimmer. One of my many regrets is that I never had the chance to teach Neal how to be a better swimmer; I never had the chance to hold him as he practiced floating, secure in the knowledge that someone who truly loved him would support him if he started to sink, someone he could trust would catch him if anything should go wrong. While I think he knew I'd do anything in my very limited power to take care of him and to make his life as safe and as happy as possible(I was his carepartner until the day he died [and well beyond!]), it still makes me sad to think of all the opportunities we're not going to have together. It pretty much sucks that I can't tell him "I love you" to his face anymore, or hear him laugh, or teach him how to swim, or read old Legion of Super-Heroes stories with him.

The point of all this is, well-- I guess I'm asking you folks out there to take the time (especially now, around the holidays) to tell the people who matter to you "I love you", in whatever way you feel comfortable; to let them know that you can be trusted, and that you care about them and that you value them. In the end, it'll be worth it, because they'll feel better, you'll feel better, and it's good for your karma, anyway. It sounds cliched, I know, but we really don't know how long we have on this little planet of ours, and life's way to short to live with hate and regrets.

Phil Jimenez
--Feeling Pretty Damned Lucky

-----

And for the record, I [love] you, Legion World! [Smile]

[ December 05, 2003, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Pov ]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for posting that, Bri. [Smile]

I've met a lot of terrific people on the boards since the first day I joined the DCMBs back in spring of 2001. Just about every one of the people I've posted with has enriched my life in some way -- and continue to do so every day here on Legion World.

I've also had the incredible good luck to get to know a couple of folks better than just as electronic blips passing each other in the fathomless expanse of cyberspace.

And it's not that often that I say this, but here goes: I care about you, I value you, and you are an important part of my life. Friendship and comraderie can be easy, but trusting someone you've only known as a virtual word balloon on a message board -- that's a different story. So above all else, I'm profoundly grateful that you've placed your trust in me. Thank you.

That's all. [Smile]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks for sharing that Bri. I don't think I had ever heard that particular letter before. I knew of their relationship but not of Phil's declarations in the column.

And to you and Thomas both, I'm very glad to have gotten to know you, the little that I have, and am glad to consider you both friends. Maybe one day the Luck Lords will rule in our favor and we can all meet.

Take care of yourselves. [love]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the boy with UltraPowers
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the boy with UltraPowers   Author's Homepage   Email the boy with UltraPowers         Edit/Delete Post     
thank's for posting the actual letter, POV !!!

it was in deed, touching ..... and as STU has said, it is great to know you all, and i don't think i'd enjoy each day, without my visits to "LEGION WORLD" and interacting with all of you !!!

as SCOTT said, one day the "Luck Lords" may shine on us, and we will all meet up ......

here's hoping !!!

[love] [love] [love] to you all !!! from the boy with UltraPowers !!!

Matthew.

From: Manchester United Kingdom | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I would lke to volunteer for duty as well...

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks, Stu. [Smile]

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Luke Cage has always been a favorite of mine, especially from the days before he chanmged his name to POWER MAN. That said, even I thought his "costume" was silly, and even did a parody of it back during high school. (I love John Romita's art-- but his costume designs really leave a LOT to be desired.)

I hated the MAX design by Richard Corben. But I LIKE this new one. By the way-- that's NOT Sam Jackson-- that's Avery Brooks!!! (DS9)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leviathan6033

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leviathan6033   Email Leviathan6033         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed this article a lot. Some of the redesigns were silly but a lot of them were cool!

p.s.the boy with ultrapowers is CUTE!!

--------------------
Just what we all need, more lies about a world that never was and never will be

-Evanescence "Everybody's Fool"

From: Ca | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.