Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » SUPREME by Alan Moore and now Erik Larsen (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: SUPREME by Alan Moore and now Erik Larsen
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
UPDATE: I'm about 3/4 of the way through. Its the most enjoyable thing BY FAR that I've read in six months. Definately one of the best things of the last few years.

Every story is just unbelievable. Especially for readers (like me and most of you) who know comic book history so well. Moore has so many treats for the readers, and yet, tells such great stories at the same time!

The saddest/most horrifying moment had to be when Supreme shuts down S-1, and the robots for his parents and childhoood love. Heartbreaking!

I loved, loved, loved the 'three witches of the 1950's' being a metaphor for EC Comics and the shift in the industry from super-heroes of the 40's to the EC 50's. It was just *so* perfect, complete with nucleur anxiety, social worries, the sense that people can do evil things, and then the MAD Magazine homage. I like to think of myself as a psuedo-intellectual on EC Comics, so this was a pleasant surprise.

I've currently just finished the 'Allies' story where they free Professor Midnight and other 60's heroes from their prison. It possibly could be my favorite so far. There really is a sense that things are returning to the way they should be, even though this is a universe I hardly know. I can't help but the connection to DC at all times, but yet feel the creativity of this new universe constantly.

Was there ever an Allies comic? There should have been!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I know I saw some ads for "The Allies", but I believe it was going to be an updated version of the group, not the restored group from the 60s. If it ever saw light of day, Moore didn't write it.

Apparently there were at least a couple of more issues of Supreme that were never published either. [Frown] This makes me very sad.

The Judgment Day 3 part mini series was quite good, which rebuilt the entire Awesome universe (like when DC put out that "History of the DC Universe" right after Crisis to formally lay out their post-C world, but far better (IMHO).

After Supreme, I followed Moore to Tom Strong. Not quite as good, he was more of a Scientific Adventurer (had a bit of a Fantastic Four vibe to it, as he was surrounded by his unique family, etc.). Still had great art from Sprouse, so you can't beat that combo. [Smile] I also liked the Terra Obsura stuff (the two minis). Since a number of those characters are in the public domain, they will also be featured in Alex Ross' new "SuperPowers" book from Dynamite coming out next month. There's art by Sadowski too, so I can't wait for that!

I never followed Promethea or Top Ten, but I did buy the issue of TT that had a Dawnstar cameo (never stated outright, but it had to be her... how many winged women wear buckskin)...just the 'AR' Legion fan in me I suppose.

[ November 20, 2007, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Omni Craig ]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
So Cobie, I take it you are also going to buy "SUPREME-The Return"??

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I think those 2 TPBs collect the entire SUPREME run by Moore.

And yes, Cobie, please give your reviews!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Any more thoughts, Des? And did you buy "The Return"?

Thecrazy thing about those TPBs is that they feature Alex Ross redesigns of Supreme and other characters on the covers, but they never are used in the stories themselves! [Confused]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

ALERT FOR READERS:

Marvel has released "Age of the Sentry" a comic chronicling some of the Sentry's adventures during the Silver Age which have as of yet never been told to the reading public. Its very fun! Its *kinda* like the Moore Supreme issues in its premise, and I think many fans would enjoy them. I say *kinda* because I don't think the level of genius and quality is on par with Moore's Supreme, but the if anything, the level of fun and silliness is more apparent. Its kind of like Supreme meets Ambush Bug. 100% fun.

Just in case you're looking for something other than DC's latest mass killing/sexual assault of teenage superheroes.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - never did find 'the Return', but will look for it for Christmas, when I pick up my Walking Dead trades.
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
While reading through the AGE OF SENTRY, I realized that I never posted the other League of Infinity stories (and now see that Cobie made the connection as well).

Anyway, here's some of the other stand-alone stories/images about the group -

Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image

[ May 04, 2009, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Link to cover

Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image

[ May 09, 2009, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image
Click for fullsize image

Kid Charlemagne Kid Charlemagne has just turned 54
Frisky Perchlorate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Charlemagne   Email Kid Charlemagne         Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed Moore's run on SUPREME. I especially loved the homage to the comic-book MAD in #44, and the "return" [debut] of Suprema. [This was when DC still had no Kara Zor-El even in continuity. What galled me most about Kara's death in the Crisis was the wiping her out of continuity. I missed Barry Allen, too, but at least his sacrifice was remembered.]

Bloody Liberty, WHY didn't DC just have Byrne draw the rebooted Superman and let Moore write the stories? What could have been... [Frown]

--------------------
If your klordny lasts longer than 4 hours, seek medical attention.

From: Arkansas Province, Baaldur | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
"space-hillbillies"... *sigh* I miss Moore's SUPREME. I'm about due for a series re-read (along with his all too brief 3-issue YOUNGBLOOD stint).

Hopefully Nightcrawler's posting of these tales will encourage readers to seek out the SUPREME collections or hit the back-issue bins. It's worth it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
PS - never did find 'the Return', but will look for it for Christmas, when I pick up my Walking Dead trades.

Still haven't found "the Return". I also want those Youngblood issues!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So, I never have been able to find Supreme: the Return TPB after all this time and think I should probably actually put some effort in and look for it online (instead of my ‘searching’ consisting of browsing comic shops when I can remember, which is about 30% of the time). However, I did remember recently and instead found “Judgment Day”, the last of the Alan Moore / Extreme Studios stuff. Following his Supreme stuff, he did a miniseries / event with ALL of Rob Liefield’s creations, and then prepared to launch them all into new series. Apparently one of Rob’s financial backers pulled out at the last minute so most of the series never got off the ground (some having an issue or two). In this collection is the three issue miniseries, the Youngblood preview of the relaunch and then a one-shot previewing various titles written by Moore and drawn by Gil Kane! That last part is really awesome.

The story is about as good as anything I’ve read in awhile. Alan Moore continued his Supreme style and really gave a great story, and its something to behold. He basically explains away the entire grim n’ gritty era through the story, destroys it and prepares for a new era. It truly is his “apology” to comic book fans I’d read about in interviews.

I know almost nothing about Liefield’s characters outside of Moore’s work other than their names: Youngblood, Supreme, Glory, Brigade, Bloodstryke, etc. I was a pre-teen when they came out and collected all the #1’s and #2’s before my Dad realized Image was not what he wanted to collect and dropped everything but Spawn and Shadowhawk which I begged him to keep (long story). But here Moore actually makes me care about them and be interested in their histories and futures. It’s a great continuation of his Supreme stories where he introduced the Allies and Allied Supermen of America.

The preview stories by Moore and Gil Kane are something to behold. He takes Glory, Liefield’s TnA lady, and makes her potentially more interesting than Wonder Woman was in the 90’s. He take the New Men, yet another X-Force type rip-off, and makes them akin to the Challengers of the Unknown! Maximage, another TnA character, is suddenly a cross between Dr. Strange / Dr. Fate and his characters from Swamp Thing! Youngblood finally is like a Teen Titans comic you actually want to keep buying. I so wish somehow this universe had continued under Moore’s direction. Liefield has never been successful since this all feel through, which was over 10 years ago. That’s a long time. Part of me wonders if something cool could ever be done with these characters, but another part of me knows it will never be what could have been.

My favorite part was that Moore gave Liefield analogues for all the other era genres: Westerns, a Conan the Barbarian type, a Tarzan type, WWII, Pirates, a Camelot/Knight type, and he even turned Liefield’s Prophet (Cable / Bishop analogue) and made him the Extreme Studios version of Doc Savage.

If you know comic book history and know Rob Liefield and are reading this and thinking the above sounds crazy, I really think you should check this out!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.