Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » SUPREME by Alan Moore and now Erik Larsen (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: SUPREME by Alan Moore and now Erik Larsen
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
Reminder to self:

SUPREME 63 drops April 4th.

I looked into it, and apparently only ONE Moore script was on file, and it will be presented in issue 63.

I *am* curious to see what happens after that one script... kinda expecting a trainwreck, but we shall dee. I'll at least give it 2 post-63 issues...

TURDELLA! I *MUST* hit the CBS tomorrow! MUST!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

And I did... I DID! This issue has been purchased and the series added to my pull.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Same here! I actually went to the CBS on a Wednesday, something I do like 3 times a year, to make sure I got Danger Club #1, Supreme and Hell Yeah #1 & 2. I didn't want to have to hunt these suckers down!

I opted for the cool Eric Larsen Silver Age esque cover. My CBS actually ordered a healthy amount of these.

Interviews I've read with Larsen on his plans post-Moore don't exactly have me super-excited, but I'm willing to roll with it for a few issues and see. Regardless, this issue looks like its going to be the fucking TITS.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved this issue.

A bonus point was that, the two versions of Darius Dax and Diana Dane, Daxian and Dianax, are allusions to an old Superman imaginary story where Luthor is a pianist named "Lexo" who's also a criminal named "Lexo" (and apparently no one makes the connection), and Lois turns evil and becomes his bride, "Lola".

And I have that story!

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I thought the issue was really groovy too. Man, it made me want to reread those Alan Moore Supreme stories--which I intend to do ASAP! I also need to once and for all find "Supreme the Return", but damn if that isn't a difficult TPB to find. I guess I have to use ebay...which I don't like doing. (15 years later and the internet still scares me).

But back to the issue at hand, I love all the various Darius Dax's, and how they can be charming one minute and then brutal the next. On the flip side, I thought the Supreme / Diane date was enjoyable.

Larsen's art while inked by someone else was actually pretty good. His artwork is very hit or miss for me, unlike a lot of his fellow Image founders whose artwork I still love (namely McFarlane and Silvestri).

I really, really, really hope Supreme by Larsen sans Moore scripts is going to be good. But I'm trying not to get my expectations too high. Interviews with Larsen do not leave me feeling good, but Larsen is very much like Keith Giffen in interviews--abbrassive and rough around the edges; it's hard to tell if its a little tongue in cheek. I'll just wait and see what the final product is.

I'll say this though. Of the Extreme relaunch that is going on, two series not to be missed are Prophet, which is mind-blowingly good and Glory, which is also crazy fantastic. Both are really so good its hard to put into words. Both are also selling out like hotcakes and hard to find. If you can find them, whack them! (Kudos again to Sarky for the Glory rec, which was totally on the money).

I wish Moore could do an Allies series. Or someone in the same spirit of the Supreme stories.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I thoroughly enjoyed SUPERE 63 although I am concerned about where it will go next month when all hints of Alan Moore are gone.

Larsen's art surprised the heck out of me-- he was doing some really good imitations of Sprouse and a Liefeld-if Liefeld-was-GOOD in places.

64 is a given for me to purchase but if it goes straight into the crapper, I'm out.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

My concern over 64 was well-warranted after this issue's massacre.

I found it pretty sloppy and despite what Larsen says about wanting to play the hand he was dealt, he pretty much took the whole deck and set it on fire, then peed on it to put it out. It was ugly and it was unnecessary.

This is officially on the "1 more issue" bubble. If next issue continues in this manner, I'm out.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Has Larsen ever written anything good at all?? I mean, I guess the early Savage Dragon issues had a certain energy, but vaguely I recall it evaporating quickly. And isn't he the guy who said in the 90s something along the lines of, "Who needs writers or editors?"

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I personally liked Savage Dragon for a while. The spin offs (Freak Force, Vanguard, etc) were entertaining. Then for me, he lost it with the alternate Earth stuff...then the origin thing, which came out long after I dropped out.

But, as far as his mainstream stuff, some of it was fair at best...but most was meh to awful.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Reposted:

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
SAGA earns a spot on the pull after the terrific issues 2-3!

SUPREME 64 confirmed EVERY SINGLE ONE of my fears for a post-Moore version of this title. It is on the "1 more issue" bubble and if 65 follows the path 64 started, it will be the final issue I buy.

I had the same exact reaction when I read the latest Supreme. I was so angry, in fact, I started hunting online for interviews with Larsen and reviews. One interview calmed me down a *little*. Larsen confirmed the other Supremes will remain a part of the cast and that not many characters actually died other than walk-on Supremes and Daxes. His words were "I'm giving Alan Moore's Supreme his biggest challenge yet: Rob Liefield's Supreme." So it looks like psycho Supreme isn't the star but the villain.

So...I feel a little better. (At least not fuming with anger). But all that does is make me want to continue to give it a chance. I'm still very much on the fence.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I was fully prepared to drop SUPREME and expected issue 65 to be garbage. It wasn't, to my surprise, and has earned another issue out of me.

Things still look MUCH bleaker than they did pre-64, but there is definitely some rays of sunshine peeking though the clouds.

Well played, Larsen.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if the League of Infinity will have a role to play?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

That would be nice!!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So after reading it, I can say this issue definitely cements for me that Larsen "gets it". Not only is he keeping all the various Supreme's around, he did a few things to show this isn't going to be a 'early 90's grim 'n gritty fest'.

First, "mean Supreme" has thought bubbles that are so over the top they are almost funny. His disgust at the USA having a "muslim President" is so over the top (and reminiscient of a few idiot pundits) that it puts into focus his role as villain of this story-arc.

And second, the reapparance at the end of Darius Duck--done totally strait--was a welcome bit.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Things aren't looking good for Ethan Crane in this next issue. His reality's being slowly rebooted and Ethan's very aware of the changes.

It seems to be that this story is acting as a sort of take that towards Flashpoint and the DCnU. Ethan is aware of the changes going on yet he's not able to stop it, nor is he changing to fit the revisions.

Meanwhile, Liefeld's Supreme continues to be an ass and it looks like Suprema, who has somehow managed to escape the revisions for the time being, comes in to stop him.

Cue a guest appearance from another Image character.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.