Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » MadroX and X-Factor Investigations (Page 25)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
It's at the top of this PAD interview, which also includes him discussing it: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=22080

Incidentally, before my last post? I saw Set's post before Cobalt's, and actually thought of the Madrox/Layla kiss first. That gave me more (...think American...) squicks, considering that part of it was obviously trying to get us to stop thinking of her as a 11-year old kid now please.

quote:
Originally posted by Arachne:
I can't comment much on David's take, since I'm still behind on reading it, but I got the impression that Shatterstar initiated the kiss, which seems rather out of character regardless of sexual orientation.

He was half-passed out, having just snapped out of mind-control, and Rictor grabbed him.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#49-- Shatterstar now has some sort of teleport/transport power? Or alien technique? Or hidden tech?

Suddenly, his kissing habits (this issue, Val's on the receiving end) aren't the most interesting thing about him.

Sure hope that's not how he greets his rumored father, Longshot.

The Rictor/Guido conversation was fun-- laced with silly innuendo and real-seeming doubt.

I hope reunification happens with that big number next month-- the split storyline's not my favorite. Doom's been all kinds of fun, though, and probably makes it all worthwhile.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
No word on number 50?

I'm not a fan of Jamie or Layla, so the resolution to that story has been a long time coming. And with no Siryn or Ric, this issue had too many hurdles to overcome for my approval.

Not bad, but not interesting to me.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
While the plotline for #50 was kind of 'meh' to me, I'm pleased with the revelations about Layla.

Honestly, I'm more excited about the series going forward with #200 and what's in store. I'm glad to put these Detroit-centered issues behind us.

I'm down on this series yet, mainly because a PAD-written Madrox and Layla is enough to keep me going, but hopefully the series will return a little to what it was at the beginning in terms of 'spirit'.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So X-Factor is renumbered with #200 and another jumping on point arrives. And I say, good, because the title needed a little back to basics approach and thats exactly what it feels like here, with all of the drama and emotional baggage of before hanging over the characters heads and keeping me intrigued every step of the way.

The storyline "The Invisible Woman has Vanished!" isn't anything spectacular thus far in and of itself, but the "spirit" of X-Factor seems to have returned under PAD's pen with this issue and it was enjoyable. Thus far we have the beginning of what could be a nifty little detective yarn, and hopefully that's the case. More importantly, we've got Madrox & company back in NYC doing what they do best. Monet quickly rejoins the cast (as you'd expect) and by now I don't even mind that Darwin and Longshot are around. I just wish Wolvesbane still was.

Layla's story continues to interest me so I'm glad PAD isn't making us wait too long.

The Richtor/Shatterstar thing to me still feels contrived but I'll go with it and see if PAD can pull it off. More than anything, I just want Shatterstar to be 'awesome'; there is a little bit of that here with his fight with the Thing, but its not quite right yet. It might be his look. But Shatterstar is the guy who killed Masque and chopped off Reaper's hands. That should always be there in the background of his scenes.

Being a #200 issue, it had some extras. Most importantly was what I thought a great Siryn back-up with Reverend John Maddox, who is always a welcome addition here. I thought it was a solid moment for Terry to move her along to wherever she is going next. I felt it a little groan worthy that a return to a relationship with Deadpool was hinted at but I guess there's precedent (none of which I ever read). Its amusing to me that the numbering is at #200 because X-Factor is a rare Marvel title that is absent from our collection. We never collected the original title other than when I picked up the issues of X-Cutioner's Song, X-Tinction Agenda and Muir Island Saga a few years back. But I like when comics have a history to them, so I don't mind this at all.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked this issue, too. I like PAD's take on Shatterstar, although I think his hair's too short and the sword blades coming out of his sleeves are even dumber than the double bladed sword. I thought the fight with the Thing was well in character. I do agree that they should show his more ruthless side soon.

I just wish I liked Rictor more.:7

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm really waiting to see if PAD is going to do anything with a meeting / conversation between Longshot and Shatterstar, who are, ostensibly, father and son.

I'm not hugely impressed with the writing of late. PAD does really neat characterization, but his action / adventure bits fall flat for me, sometimes being resolved really anti-climactically, where there should have been, at some point, a 'crowning moment of awesome.'

I'm less interested in the Rictor / Shatterstar hookup than I am in Guido's reaction to it. Here we have a main character in the book who *isn't* reacting well, which I think is ten times more interesting than having the main cast shrug and / or give speeches about open-mindedness. It makes Guido feel more 'real,' to have him reacting adversely to Shatterstar's offer of a hand up.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
I'm really waiting to see if PAD is going to do anything with a meeting / conversation between Longshot and Shatterstar, who are, ostensibly, father and son.

They're ostensibly not - the sole source for that comes from an offhand suggestion (and joke on the writer's part) that Dazzler name their baby "Shatterstar". That in itself (and the reaction to it) played a big part in them THEN having Dazzler miscarry, such that Longshot now doesn't have a son.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I liked this issue, too. I like PAD's take on Shatterstar, although I think his hair's too short and the sword blades coming out of his sleeves are even dumber than the double bladed sword. I thought the fight with the Thing was well in character. I do agree that they should show his more ruthless side soon.

Where's the love for the earthmover? Ric and Star both played well off each other better than they ever did on their own. The original X-Force was where they came into their own, and since the AOA they haven't been the same.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I wish Ric'd get his powers back. That issue where he rhapsodized (eulogized?) over the way his abilities made him feel causes me to pity him more than anything.

I realize it's a somewhat unique place to spring from, from a writer's pov. Probably what attracts PAD to Rictor.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
whoa whoa...I am so much much behind those X-lore.....you saying that Rictor and Shatterstar are lovers and Rictor is dead? is that right? Guido's a homophobe ?? sorry that does not ring true to me because Guido has been working in the Enterntainment too long should know better that there are huge # of gays/lesbians working in the entertainment and rock music bands. I bet Lila Cheney would give him a lecture when she finds out that he's a bigot.

as simliar to Superboy giving a holler to Spark in Superboy and the Raver on Hero's homosexuality.

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Guido hasn't been a bigot at all in the series. He's made some odd remarks is all. One of his teammates - one he presumed straight based on interactions with Rahne and Monet- has shown a gay side. Guido is acting off balance, not homophobic. It's almost like he thinks his jabs are funny, but they aren't.

It's the sort of light hearted banter he'd have with Jamie back in the old days. With Jamie being all emo now, Guido has found a means of cracking wise with Ric and 'star.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

No, Rictor's not dead- he's just powerless. And Guido's as surprised by his reaction to Ric and Shatterstar as you are. Maybe it's because Rictor was involved with Rahne up until she left to become an assassin in X-FORCE and Rictor wasn't exactly forthcoming about his apparently on-again/off-again relationship with Shatterstar. (Well, except to Jamie Madrox, anyway...)
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
quote:

Where's the love for the earthmover? Ric and Star both played well off each other better than they ever did on their own. The original X-Force was where they came into their own, and since the AOA they haven't been the same.
I've just never liked Ric as much as I like Shatterstar. You're right about them not being the same after AOA. Loeb's messed up origin of Shatterstar kept them both out of comics for years.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

So there is X-Nation:X-Factor out this week. Our group of outsiders pay a visit to Utopia. Hilarity and philosophy ensue.

'Star and Ric meet some of their old teammates. Ric gets a bit jealous, Star gets a bit mouthy. But in a fun way.

Dazzler and Longshot bump into each other. Repeatedly. Lastingly?

Darwin has a chat with Xavier, and that brings out what little conflict this issue has. It's a little underwhelming and surprising in this new Utopia.

Jamie and Scott discuss their differences again. Jamie plays the mouth piece for anyone that's questioned the mutuant movement to the former Asteroid M. He asks all the questions I've been asking since I heard this story. Scott's/Jamie's rebuttal- what else can we do?

It's a nice bit, a fun read that does capture X-Factor. Hope it works for the sales of the on-going title.

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.