Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Nightwing (spoilers) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Nightwing (spoilers)
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#112's out...

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

spoilers

... though I don't like the general direction of Dick's continued disillusion (when's he going to catch up with the Nightwing who knows Donna's alive? That'll make a *huge* difference-- or it should), I found this a pretty fun issue. Deathstroke enlisting Dick to train Ravager is a plot turn I never would've guessed.

There's a bit too much of Dick breaking hearts (Ravager and the orphan mafia girl, here), but it does, at least, propel the plot forward.

If Dick's going to infiltrate the Secret Society, he'll be doing it with Deathstroke's cooperation? Interesting.

I still wish Dick would go on tour with a rebuilt Halley's Circus for a bit.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
just picked this up after a long time away from Nightwing (one of my fave heroes but I fell off before Dixon left)

Hester's artwork is great on this ... his motion is completely different from McDaniels' flow but it still works phenomenally

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm torn.

I dropped NIGHTWING after Dixon and McDaniel's Year One arc and swore I wouldn't touch it as long as Devin G was still "writing" the book... even at the expense of Hester and Park's great artwork.

But this storyline keeps pulling at me, daring me to check it out. I keep seeing the upcoming covers by H&P, with Dick in his Deathstroke outfit, and.... argh! [Frown]

I keep telling myself it's just Devin ripping off the "Red X" Robin idea from the TEEN TITANS GO! cartoon... it's working so far. [Razz] [LOL]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, Andy and Pov- Hester's work is great... but Devin's still doing everything she can to turn Dick as grim as Batman.

The Deathstroke/villain infiltration is a good story, though-- and will apparently lead to IC and postIC events.

Have you read rumors about what's supposed to happen in the Bat-family after IC? Given recent events here, I wonder if the rumor-starters got the characters involved reversed somehow...

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
I dropped NIGHTWING after Dixon and McDaniel's Year One arc and swore I wouldn't touch it as long as Devin G was still "writing" the book... even at the expense of Hester and Park's great artwork.

But this storyline keeps pulling at me, daring me to check it out. I keep seeing the upcoming covers by H&P, with Dick in his Deathstroke outfit, and.... argh! [Frown]

You can always just check it out in the store, and then if you must, get a copy of whatever quarter box these issues will inevitably find their way into.

That said, having seen a copy, I can say that this is the best issue Grayson has done for some time, which means it almost works its way up to being mediocre.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

NIGHTWING 114

spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space
spoiler
space

Loved the Oracle/Canary/Arsenal usage-- though it really *hurt* to see Dick Grayson clocking Roy Harper (again). I kind of like Ravager as a Nightwing protege whose bound to turn on him. Don't like the mafia princess at all. Actually, she's OK-- I just don't like the idea of her, I think.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Three more issues, and then I can start getting Nightwing again.

2006 is looking up.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with Miner.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
dit and to.

Phils artwork is fine. It really grew on me on GA before the hired winnick and i quit it, but i just cant stomach the writing on NW anymore until they change writers.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like the route their taking Nightwing. This is his Hell, his torment, more so than the Tarantula. When Dick sees how wrong he's been acting, how far he's lost his way, he will recove, and we'll get to see the great hero he is.

I am digging the art, but I liked them on Green Arrow, so no surprise there. Very few have the skill to show motion like Hester or McDaniel. And Nightwing is all about motion. Devon nailed that right in all her interiews about this guy.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Who the hell is Bruce Jones? Another writer with a name like a Batfamily character?

Uhhhh, this does not bode well.

So, any info on who this Bruce Jones is?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Jones is currently writing the Vigilante miniseries. It's been very good so far. That mini is playing out like a psychological crime drama.

If he writes NW like he's doing that series, it'll be fine.

Bruce Jones on Vigilante

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
So, any info on who this Bruce Jones is?

He's the guy who drove Hulk into the ground with a "mystery" that lasted four years without a payoff.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Bruce Jones also wrote a lot of great horror comics in the '70s and '80s. And he wrote Ka-Zar for Marvel in the '80s; (along with Moon Knight and Micronauts, the first direct market books), which I believe was Brent Anderson's first pro work.

I agree he lost direction a little on Hulk as it went on, but it really started strong the first 10 issues or so, imo. One thing to keep in mind when a title loses it's direction, is that it can happen for a number of reasons outside of the writer's control.

For example, I know a lot of people complained about the fact that about a half year went by on Hulk, where you almost never really saw the Hulk at all (personally, I liked that). Pressure can come down from a number of angles and force a writer to change course midstream.

I like Bruce Jones' work a lot.

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

I take it it's official then that Jones has the gig?

Better go have a look at Newsarama.

--------------------

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.