Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Nightwing (spoilers) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Nightwing (spoilers)
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
This is a train wreck. Ugh. Much worse than anything Devin Grayson could dream up. And the art, not so hot.

I agree with Mystery Lad about not recognizing Dick Grayson, and about too many look alike characters.

Yikes, this is the most disappointing of all OYL titles for me.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I disagree that it's worse then anything Devin has dreamed up. Jones, for example, has not had Dick raped at the hands of a Mary Sue character after completely failing in his mission to stop the book's main bad guy.

Is the book any good currently? Not really. But it isn't that good largely because Jones has picked up Nightwing from where Devin left it, instead of using Infinite Crisis and OYL as a basis to expand on the character.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Nightwing = the worst comic being produced by DC. I'd say Marvel too, but I'm not dumb enough to buy all those crappy X-spinoff titles [Big Grin]

I have issue #3 OYL in front of me right now...but I just can't bring myself to open it yet. I fear the inside content. I fear it.

(Devin Grayson's run, however, like OM says, is still hands down the worst run on traditionally great title since, jeez, ever?)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stratum           Edit/Delete Post     
I say have Gail write the book. She gets the Bat family so much better than the others on these books.

What I would like to see OYL, is Bruce giving Dick a serious dressing down and bring the guy back to his real roots and play off his strengths. If you want a second-rate Batman, bring Azrael back.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Gail's a possibility.

Geoff Johns has on more than one occasion (most recently at Bristol) expressed a desire to write the character.

Fabian Niceza seems to like Nightwing a lot too, and is having him guest-star in a Superman arc he's doing with Kurt Busiek.

I can't remember where, but I think Allan Heinberg also said he was a fan.

There are plenty of candidates.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

I love Geoff but I'm afraid that it would be too dark for the interpretation most would like to see.

Fabian would be good. He's one of those writers than can go from light to dark stories pretty easily.

Putting Heinberg on any project makes me nervous because of the delays. I wonder how long before WW gets a guest writer....

Busiek actually would be a good choice, as would Waid. I'd like to see a writer with a lot of clout take over though. A lot of people feel that Dick is getting the shaft after his initial setup in the first few issues of IC.

There's been some recent blogging going on about this very subject.
The Absorbacon

I'm very much inclined to agree with these folks.

Jamie

From: Wood River, IL | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I've dropped this again. For as long as DC continues to treat NIGHTWING like the redheaded stepchild of the Batbooks. We need a top writer, and an artist to go with him/her.

Heinberg's going to be too busy trying to get 6 issues each of YA and WW out a year. [LOL]

I'll have to check out Dick's guest-spot in Fabe and Busiek's Superman arc.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Jones isn't working here, much like his HULK wasn't working. He doesn't seem to have the character down, just some vague notions of his recent history. With the OYL gap, and what we know of his time with Bruce and Tim, it seems odd to continue themes from Devin's run.

Give Fabe the title. He could use some DC work, and he'd certainly lighten the title up a bit. Bring back McDaniel or Hester (he didn't get much time on the book.)

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Heinberg's going to be too busy trying to get 6 issues each of YA and WW out a year. [LOL]

Yeah, I think "Young Avengers Quarterly" would make me cry [Wink]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
Unfortunately, Hester/Parks are busy with the new Ant-man series.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Good news! At least it *could* be...

Follow this link and scroll down a little over halfway. Warning-- there may be spoilers about other DC titles before you get to the news item relevant to this thread.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/magazine/wizard/000764634.cfm

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
That news should have me jumping for joy at the prospect. Unfortunately I read the other spoilers and saw one regarding the Legion a few entries below the Nightwing one that has completely ruined my day.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not a fan of the upcoming writer. He's not bad, just hasn't impressed me with anything.

As for the current team- ugh! Given the intentions for Dick, this title should have been cancelled ala Flash and WW.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stratum
Booster Club President

Looks like this could be some potentially good news for us long-suffering Nightwing fans.

Marv Wolfman returns to write Nightwing!

Only for four issues but I have a feeling DC's skittish over committing to another writer for longer.

For me, what he has to say about what needs to be done with the character really echoes what most of us feel here.

Jamie

Nick Vinson
Libertarian

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nick Vinson   Email Nick Vinson         Edit/Delete Post     
i may start purchasing Nightwing monthly again. But at this point Id have to read the first issue before i make a decision. However I am more willing to read a Wolfman issue than any of the Jones stuff.

--------------------
-Nick-

Is Civil War over with yet?

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.