Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The all Darwyn Cooke thread (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The all Darwyn Cooke thread
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Living in Nova Scotia doesn't make him dead!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
just a little chili.

[ March 14, 2007, 05:44 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
More Cooke goodies: DC will be reissuing his Batman: Ego in June - from Comics Worth Reading

For more modern work with classic flavor, in June comes BATMAN: EGO AND OTHER TAILS (200 pages, $14.99). It’s mostly Darwyn Cooke work, but it also includes stories by Paul Grist and Tim Sale. It collects BATMAN: EGO, CATWOMAN: SELINA’S BIG SCORE, and stories from SOLO #1 and 5 and BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #23 and 33.

I did read in some interview he gave that he was disappointed with Ego, one of his earlier works. Still, I'll probably pick this up even though I already have the Catwoman and Solo books.

(Not Cooke news, but Johanna also mentions "The Amazing Transformations of Jimmy Olsen" Showcase volume in July - sure to please fans of the wacky.)

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
My store has a copy of Ego, and I got to check it out yesterday.

His art's fine, but the story is a bit pretentious for my tastes.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Cooke's back cover for the Toronto Comic Festival comic (Brian Lee O'Malley did the front cover):

-

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
You have no idea how excited it makes me to open up the board and see a post to the All Darwyn Cooke Thread!

Looks cool.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Nifty.

They've announced Cooke as a guest in San Diego this year.

I'd love to get another sketch from him, but I doubt lightning will strike twice in this case. He's way too popular.

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Just read Superman Confidential #4, and it was actually really cool. I think I need to go back and re-read the earlier issues.

The talking Kryptonite reminds me a lot of the villain from New Frontier, however.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walkwithcrowds
Skinny wee Scottish guy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for walkwithcrowds   Email walkwithcrowds         Edit/Delete Post     
I re-read First Frontier yesterday, for the first time since it was released.

BLOODY AMAZING!!!!

--------------------
Be lucky

From: Glasgow, Scotland | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Gets better with every read doesn't it?
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

A first look at New Frontier DVD...
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Excited and...reserved. I take issue with those complaining about the "complainers."

You only get one chance to do some things right and this is one of them. Frontier was epic. If 70 minutes can do "epic" then fine, but I find it hard to believe.

Just knowing there was thought of cutting the Wonder Women scenes is enough to put a fan of the work on edge. Who was making that decision? Certainly not someone who had any understanding of the purpose of the work. Cutting the Wonder Women and Lois scenes (though there were a couple Lois scenes I thought odd) would not only have turned the film into a testifest but would have taken away major exposition from Superman. Most of what he was in Frontier was seen I thought, through those two characters.

My biggest concern would be marketing making creative decisions. That bodes ill for minor characters and teams. Can you imagine Frontier having the same impact without the opening scenes?

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
Excited and...reserved. I take issue with those complaining about the "complainers."

I don't.

Most of the complainers have decided it won't be any good simply becasue of it's length. They aren't just having reservations: They are stating that it can't possibly be any good now, which they can't possibly know.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Cooke on leaving the Spirit, his plans for the future, and the bankruptcy of the direct market...
Eryk Davis Ester

By the way... Cooke writing a futuristic fairy tale with giant robots... I'm totally there!
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.