Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The all Darwyn Cooke thread (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The all Darwyn Cooke thread
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, the animated feature is pretty faithful. I had bought the NF series on eBay and the animated movie both last year. I had refrained from watching the movie until I'd read the series, so I just watched that last week, too. Oddly enough, they didn't show the Losers segment/LTTF segment but did allude to it. They also worked the big heroic moment of that story into the final battle and transferred it to another character to give that character a different death than he's originally had. Obviously, there were nips and tucks but the story and look were basically all Darwyn. Most of the very best moments were there.

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Lardy, you already mentioned the Losers & The War that Time Forgot. Just incredible. How about that depiction of a T-Rex though? Horrifying yet "I'm a 6 year old again" awesome.

Definitely eye-poppingly AWESOME! Oh, GAWD, yes!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I think they should do the Loser's segment as it's own movie. A little padding (extended story telling from Darwyn, and you could get a full feature out of it.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah! They could show us exactly what happened to Sarge! [Yes]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
You've inspired me to reread NF - again.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I checked up on Darwyn's dedications in New Frontier, which is very telling of his influences. NF stands completely on its own and parallels the spirit of the Silver Age--it contained many older concepts but was new. It went it's own way. That is pure Cooke.

Book One - Robert Kanigher and Joe Kubert, Harvey Kurtzman and Alex Toth

Book Two - Gardner Fox, Carmine Infatino, Johnny Craig, and Bernard Krigstein

Book Three - Bill Finger, Dick Sprang,Joe Simon, Jack Davis

Book Four - John Broome, Will Eisner,Frank Frazetta, Wally Wood.

Book Five - Julius Schwartz, Archie Goodwin,
Gil Kane, Russ Heath.

Book Six - Jack Kirby

(Very telling that Kirby has a book singly dedicated to him)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
More Cooke goodies: DC will be reissuing his Batman: Ego in June - from Comics Worth Reading

For more modern work with classic flavor, in June comes BATMAN: EGO AND OTHER TAILS (200 pages, $14.99). It’s mostly Darwyn Cooke work, but it also includes stories by Paul Grist and Tim Sale. It collects BATMAN: EGO, CATWOMAN: SELINA’S BIG SCORE, and stories from SOLO #1 and 5 and BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS #23 and 33.

I did read in some interview he gave that he was disappointed with Ego, one of his earlier works. Still, I'll probably pick this up even though I already have the Catwoman and Solo books.

Anyone else read Batman: Ego or Selina's Big Score? I remember the reviws for SBS being VERY enthusiastic in various trusted websites!

Also, did Spirit 1-13 plus the Batman/ Spirit one-shot comprise all of Darwyn's Sprit work?

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I just re-read the first four chapters of New Frontier!

It's amazing how you can tear up one minute with reading the fate of the Losers, then tear up a few pages later at the sight of Hal Jordan meeting Chuck Yeager!

Wonder Woman telling off Superman in Southeast Asia! And the only version of J'Onn J'Onzz that I've ever read that I've really loved! And Batman in the church scaring the kid!

I love this book so much!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, ENOUGH. I will now reread NF as well so I don't feel left out! [Big Grin]

Lardy, you are correct, those are the Cooke Spirit stories. They are also excellent and each one takes a solid 20+ minutes to read. It's really the only non-Eisner Spirit stuff that's ever been really good.

I've got to read Batman: Ego! Can't believe I've never done so before--and delighted there is undiscovered Cooke material out there!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

For the record, Parker: The Hunter = Ordered!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yay! Prepare to have your face melted by awesomeness!
Eryk Davis Ester

Looks like the next volume is coming out in October.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
For the record, Parker: The Hunter = Ordered!

FUCK YEAH!!!

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I reread V. 1 of New Frontier. The whole thing with the JSA and HUAC - was that the inspiration for Marvel's mutant registration story?

NF was even more awesome than I remembered. Wonderful the way all those classic characters were woven together, and how Cooke managed to distill their essence without the 50s hokiness. It's sort of like the Secret History of the DCU.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I reread V. 1 of New Frontier. The whole thing with the JSA and HUAC - was that the inspiration for Marvel's mutant registration story?

Dunno, but it's worth noting that Paul Levitz originally came up with the idea during his 70s JSA run.
Eryk Davis Ester

Guess what arrived in the mail today?
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.