Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The all Darwyn Cooke thread (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The all Darwyn Cooke thread
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
WARNING: I cuss using the F-word in the following post, because when somethin's THIS good, ya just gotta! Apologies!

As Edie and Cobie saw in my posts last week, I recently read DC : The New Frontier for the first time. Truthfully, I'm a bit at a loss for words! I mean it was so awesome, it's hard to distill my reaction other than to say I enjoyed every page! Here's a few random thoughts:

-I was surprised that New Frontier was an actual story from start to finish. I imagined from bits I'd heard that it was a reimagining/stripping down/revisitation of the Silver Age (and it certainly was), but I wasn't expecting a big storyline to run throughout for some reason. I was surprised asnd delighted, though.

-Favorite issue, bar none, was issue number one, especially the Losers/Land that Time Forgot portion. WHOA! That alone may have been one of the most exciting and well-crafted stories I've ever read in this medium. I really found myself wanting to read more stories by Darwin in this vein--a feeling I had several more times before the series ended!

-As I said elsewhere, Darwyn did for the Challengers of the Unknown what no other writer or creator has done for me before--make me absolutely LOVE them! I can't say I've read all that many Challs tales, but nothing has ever captured them in such a way as to make them interesting to me before. Gawd, I want a Challs series by Darwyn ASAP!!!

-DC's signature Silver Age heroes: Barry, Hal, J'onn...all perfectly captured by Darwyn in such a way that you can't help but wonder if even the most gifted writers like Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison could learn something from him. Wow! I always thought Darwyn was known for his artistic gifts, but the man can fucking write characters, man!

-Loved his take on the Big Three and even liked that they were mostly subordinate second-tier characters behind the others. Loved especially the more activist and subversive take on Wonder Woman. Heck, loved that she wasn't some tiny wisp of a thing, too!

-Gawd, the art was so gorgeous! There was a kind of Kirby influence throughout but this was still Darwyn thru and thru. The man can fuckin' DRAW in a style that is both retro and timeless at the same time. What a talent!

You know what? Darwyn needs to have his own DC series where he can tell any damn story he wants to wiuth any character he chooses, and I'd buy that puppy up in a red-hot minute! One issue a war storie, the next a western, the next a romance, then a Creeper story, a Phantom Stranger yarn--whatever the hell he wants to do! And it would be THE FUCKIN' BEST THING EVER!!!

Anyone who refuses to ever read New Frontier should be IMPRISONED FOR LIFE!!!! [Wink]

(Strangely enough, I think I STILL prefer his Parker GN slightly! [LOL] )

[ June 01, 2010, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Officer Taylor ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, yeah...btw, more DC Darwyn goodness to come. As part of a celebration of its classic war comics, a "Weird War Tales" one-shot:

Full article

Kind of what I was asking for, huh? Can't wait! I'm definitely getting WWT and may check out a few of the others. I hope Darwyn does full art on this thing!

EDIT: It's likely Darwyn's doing one-half of the book based on the article.

[ June 01, 2010, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Officer Taylor ]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
See--we told you how awesome it was! I've reread at least 3 more times and it only gets better. I've commented at length on NF in various threads and my reactions mirrorred yours in many places.

I will buy anything Cooke does. [Yes]

Love that his tastes cross all genres and tones. Love that he dedicated each issue to various legendary creators (for example, the final issue was dedicated to Jack Kirby).

PS - I'm an Ace fan for life now. Now that is a man's man.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - I rank this as the best DC miniseries / event EVER in the history of the company. Hell, I rank it ahead of all of Marvel's as well.

Thematically it works great as a follow-up to Robinson's Golden Age as well, even though continuity doesn't jive. I think its superior to that *great* work as well.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
See--we told you how awesome it was! I've reread at least 3 more times and it only gets better.

PS - I'm an Ace fan for life now. Now that is a man's man.

I've stopped reading it. Now I only gaze longingly into various pages from my copy of the Absolute Edition.

Ace was always cool, but Prof was the man as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

NF also made me get a crush on Carol Ferris for the first time.

I've spent literally entire flights gazing at NF, particularly the double-page spread of the DCU doing "The Right Stuff".

Cooke has a talent for dialogue that isn't wasted: it enhances the characters speaking it, furthers the plot and elevates the tension (I'm going form memory so it might be off):

"These boys deserve to know why they're going to die" - Blackhawk

"Amen to that, brother" - Green Arrow.

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
NF also made me get a crush on Carol Ferris for the first time.

"Two glasses."

--------------------

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Man, now my memory is just flowing with all the greatness!

The Ray Palmer / Chief / Prof. Haley / Adam Strange etc. gathering of great minds.

Larry Trainer & Capt. Adam showing off their bravery pre-superhero.

And of course, NF captured the elusive 'spirit of the Silver Age' in a way almost nothing does anymore. Creation. Exploration. Science & humanity's ability to out-think its way out of problems. Bravado but without assholes. Whenever I'm down about comics, NF and Cooke bring me right back.

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Crap. Now I'm going to have to dig it out and re-read it!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Some of the best Aquaman scenes ever, and he's barely in the thing.

The effect the presence of Robin has on Batman - never said outright, but shown brilliantly.

Barry Allen becomes cool again right here.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Crap. Now I'm going to have to dig it out and re-read it!

Yeah, I'll probably reread it soon, as well. After all, much of it was read while on vacation with my kids dancing around me and hootin & hollerin'! Just imagine how enjoyable it will be with some peace and quiet! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

How about King Faraday and Barry's 'forgiveness'? CLASSIC!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

King Faraday in general! This made me a big fan for life! So much so that I incorporated him into the 21st Century Legion Reboot & I have been doing for several years.

He's the ultimate 1950's "company man".

Lardy, you already mentioned the Losers & The War that Time Forgot. Just incredible. How about that depiction of a T-Rex though? Horrifying yet "I'm a 6 year old again" awesome.

I remember Tamper Lad commenting at length on LW in years past on another amazing scene: the death of Rick Flagg & the love of his life. Just incredibly moving.

And of course, Hal. Once Cooke used Hal in this way there was no debate any longer: Hal was the premier GL in the DCU and he will be for a long time again now.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Officer Taylor:
Oh, yeah...btw, more DC Darwyn goodness to come. As part of a celebration of its classic war comics, a "Weird War Tales" one-shot:

Full article

Kind of what I was asking for, huh? Can't wait! I'm definitely getting WWT and may check out a few of the others. I hope Darwyn does full art on this thing!

EDIT: It's likely Darwyn's doing one-half of the book based on the article.

I was just about to post this for Cobie. Looking forward to WWT, and a few of the other should be good, but WWT is a must buy.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
As far as NF goes...The adaptation to movie isn't too bad either, especially since Darwyn was involved. Listening to him talk about the movie and book is awesome in and of itself. He absolutely loves and gets these characters.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.