Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The all Darwyn Cooke thread (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The all Darwyn Cooke thread
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
See you in two days! After your face has been completely melted off by awesomeness!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Read it! It definitely kicks ass!
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm traveling this week (posting from the Sioux Falls, SD airport right now) so I brought along my Parker: The Hunter GN to just look at and Marvel at on my flights.

It's really just incredible. The flights are too short to reread it, so I've just been flipping through looking at the composition and marveling at Cooke's talent.

His shots of NYC are so good they almost make me want to pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Book Two of the Parker series, The Outfit, came out today and accompanied me home! Though I'm excited to read it, I'm not sure when I'll be able to do so. Today's out because I'm half asleep after working and have to be back early again tomorrow. Tomorrow, I'll be all jet-lagged from having worked 9 days straight without a day off. Then, I'm going to visit my mom for four days this weekend and won't have any time to read (trust me). Then, it's back to work straight through probably another 6-7 days as 'punishment' for the 4-dayer.

Ugh! A Cooke Parker novel deserves my undivided, rapt attention, so it may be a couple of weeks. Also, I KNOW it's gonna be so good, I'll have that empty feeling of not being able to anticipate reading it any more once it's read! Damned either way I suppose... [Frown]

The only solution is for Darwyn to be chained to his drawing board and be forced to be more prolific!!! [Yes] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Like Chief L., I got this book and put it aside until I had a good chunk of time to savour it. Well worth the wait! It was even better than Book One.

Parker takes on the mob, with the help of a few acquaintances, on a cross country series of heists, culminating in a face-to-face confrontation with Mr. Big (or one of the Mr. Bigs).

You get a better idea of Parker's character in this second volume; his discipline and focus, his particular standard of right and wrong.

The book shines with its variety of story-telling techniques - mostly the standard panels in their muted, restricted colours, but Cooke also uses magazine newspaper articles, cartoons and text pages to develop the tale. The wordless, small panel action scenes alternate with denser text, including some explanation of how some capers work. The art can be incredibly moody, somber and dark like Parker himself. Cooke manages to visually communicate the tension felt prior to confrontations.

Time for a second reading, and a third just looking at the incredible city scenes.

The bad news: we have to wait until 2012 for Book Three.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
^Still haven't read it, Cramey, but I'm excited to hear you think it's even better than the first! I'm just waiting for the perfect time to read it when it can have my undivided attention. I'm just so fatigued from work lately that I'm always a little sleepy when it comes time to get some comic reading done. Days off are spent recovering and catching up with the wife and boys. There's also been a fairly good amount of TV to watch lately as well. This ain't no ordinary book, so it deserves my full, focused attention when I can give it.

Still looking forward to it. I'll hopefully have a good opportunity to read it in December or January. The good news is, the longer I put it off, the less time I'll have to wait for Book Three! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read Parker: The Hunter

Why didn't you guys tell me this was so good. [Big Grin]

Darwyn deserves any award he can win...even if he's writing and drawing the entries for the dictionary.

His simple, yet more expressive than 99% of other artists out there is unbelievable. Evry character has character that you can feel just by looking at them on the page.

Go buy this, get it from the library, trade your kidney, whatever you have to do to get a copy to read.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

One of the recent House of Mystery issues had a short story by Darwyn Cooke in the middle featuring the 50's sci-fi character that hangs out at the House and it was really cool! Totally 1950's sci-fi type stuff that was really trippy.

Just like his Question short story in his Solo issue years ago, Cooke knows how to jam-pack a short story with some punch. I expect his Vigilante back-up will be equally as good.

I totally wish there was an ongoing Strange Adventures anthology comic with 2-3 stories per issue, and Cooke could contribute regularly. He's shown length of a story doesn't matter, that an 8 page story is oftentimes better than a 120 page TPB if the quality is there.

I definitely would like to see more sci-fi driven stuff from Cooke. This reminded me of his awesome rendition of the Challengers of the Unknown.

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
!!will post image later, it's screwed up and I've got to run!!

From Mike Holmes' "True Story" comic strip, in which Holmes illustrates stories that readers send in. Darwyn Cooke guest starred in and illustrated this one.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

NF was even more awesome than I remembered. Wonderful the way all those classic characters were woven together, and how Cooke managed to distill their essence without the 50s hokiness. It's sort of like the Secret History of the DCU.

Hear, hear. Loved the ending where all of them banded together for the final battle. Hell yeah!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

From Mike Holmes' strip "True Story":

-

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[LOL] That's great! [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Cooke fans who missed the Shade #4 have really got to find a way to get this issue. It was nothing short of spectacular with Darwyn taking a solid James Robinson story and enhancing it into a typical Cooke masterpiece.

The story focuses on the Shade during the Golden Age right after his criminal career began. He enters WWII by engaging in some Nazi spies at home, and in the process has a story with some pretty central development for the Shade.

But the real enjoyability comes from Cooke depicting two Golden Age heroes: the original Vigilante (one of my favorites actually, especially his look) and Madame Fatal, who at long last gets a modern story since his/her series ended in the 40's. 

Madame Fatal is, of course, the only transvestite superhero in comics history up until like 20 years ago. Robinson has teased him before but we get him in all his (her) full glory. Cooke's art allows it to really work, showing the Madame to be actually not all that bad to look at for an older woman...who is actually a man in disguise.

Vigilante by Cooke is just awesome. Seeing it actually made something click for me for the first time. Vigilante is really the Shadow in a cowboy motif in terms of his look. It never dawned on me before because it works so well.

Really terrific stuff. And if anyone is curious, the series has been great in general.

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just got and read through Selina's Big Score.

Cooke is from another time. Seriously. he has such great sensibilities when it comes to this kind of story. A big crime caper. Tough guys, smart guys and a dame...who happens to be Catwoman, which does not really play into the story all that much. Just around the edges to set a few things up.

Highly recommended.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Minutemen is currently my FAVORITE comic. Cooke is KILLING it. It's on fire.

He's doing a great job of dealing with the adult subject matter in an adult way without exploitation or shock value. The panels have a great energy and flow.

He's an excellent story teller. The funny thing is this book seems so on the cutting edge of modern as well as classic.

BAM! MINUTEMEN!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.