Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random Review Corner (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22   
Author Topic: Random Review Corner
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
I've read 4, 6,7, and 9 - 17 so far and ... I should have like 18 t about 38 with more regularity. So I've got a lot of Scalped to go.

Re: Walking Dead for Adults comment ... I meant that Walking Dead, while the best parts IMO are character driven ... I think relies on stunts, and shocks, and some science fiction tricks to make impacts while ... Scalped is more of an embellished world with rich characters that act and react in 'believable' ways.

.. maybe that is 'its focus on character'.

They're both gory, dark, and going for some sort of realism but I would say that the realism in Walking Dead is 'hyper realism' where as the realism in scalped is 'really messed up people realism.' Not meaning to take anything from the Walking Dead, it's just that it's more of a roller coaster type story. Walking Dead is somehow more instantly gratifying where Scalped builds more on itself over time. IMO.

If that makes sense.

Yes, it does. I getcha!

I guess you can say that TWD would also have a wider, more built-in appeal (even before the TV series) with the current zombie craze than something like Scalped that is often slow burn and more heavily nuanced with its seasoned characterizations. Love them both, though. They're my two fave books!

quote:
Scalped has very very quickly become one of my favorites too.

Wow! Glad to hear that!

I think a Scalped TV series (on HBO or something) would potentially be the best EVAR if done right!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think it would translate verbatim to tv ... but i'd be so afraid they wouldn't do it right i'd prefer they not try. [LOL]
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
So before SCALPED ... I was reading POWERS.

POWERS is like Batman the animated series meets Prime Suspect (.. the original gritty british version with Helen Mirren. )

The premise is ridiculous and utterly real at the same time. After a major disaster involving super powers the federal government outlaws the use of super powers. All the heroes retire like good law abiding citizens ... and all the villains .... still break the law and start to run the cities.

Powers follows two main detectives on the super powered crime beat. Neither have super powers, one is a former hero.

Bendis does a great job in the first issues of translating a characters voice to real life, so well I can almost hear their words in my ears.

I've read 1 - 12, 15, 22, 23, 24, 25

I have to say I like the initial story lines better ... the two cops against super villain crime lords, the return of a dead hero mysteriously back to fighting super villains, and the eventual return of this world's justice league. I think this book excels in portraying these characters moving along in this world. In some of the later issues, the focus shifts from cases and stories to explain the world and our characters situation in them ... to being stories about the defined characters. Around, issue 24 it's pretty serialized and more like other comic books where the characters have adventures and things happen to them but there's less of a spotlight on their struggles and motivations ... or maybe just getting to know them and their position in this strange situation.

I think the art is fantastic, it's like Bruce Timm's evil twin drew these pages.

The stories are not light, they are heavy but they are on the short side of heavy. So, each issue can be read pretty quickly but there's some meat there.

despite my criticisms ... POWERS is frickin awesome, and one of the very best comics i'm reading right now.

It's exciting to read and makes me excited about comic books.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm also a fan of Powers! I started a LW thread but only Dev and I seemed to be talking about it.

Great, well-written series. It's where Bendis shines the most with his dialogue (and why he gets the rep for writing dialogue well).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
I think it would translate verbatim to tv ... but i'd be so afraid they wouldn't do it right i'd prefer they not try. [LOL]

Of course I wouldn't want just any ol' hack to adapt it! But if someone cares about the material and is faithful to it, then it could be the best thing ever to grace a TV screen. I'd LOVE to see some known and unknown Native American actors get a chance to shine in such meaty unconventional, meaty and challenging roles!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

you guys gotta stop reading and reviewing such good comics ... I can't keep up! [Wink]

(I'll have to save Morning Glories and Chew for the trades and a rainy day or lonely train/plane ride. )

Actually, there's a lot of great stuff out there now!!!! ...... I never would've just tried them on my own.

I'm working on Unwritten ...

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
you guys gotta stop reading and reviewing such good comics ... I can't keep up! [Wink]

(I'll have to save Morning Glories and Chew for the trades and a rainy day or lonely train/plane ride. )

Actually, there's a lot of great stuff out there now!!!! ...... I never would've just tried them on my own.

I'm working on Unwritten ...

"Thank" us by convincing us to spend OUR hard-earneds on stuff we'd otherwise overlook! [Yes]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

As I continue to wade thru my backlog of August books, I present a few mini-reviews of some of that months DC books. Here, instead of their own threads, in an effort to keep the DCnU flow goin' without pesky flashbacks....

Jonah Hex #70:

The story title "Weird western" is apt here as Jonah heals from an injury and imagines his death in a few similar-but-different scenarios. Lotta symbolic stuff happens, that's mostly over my head, especially with the girl claiming he's her father. Beautiful Ryan Sook/Mick Gray art in the "dream" portion. The guy Diego Olmos who closes the book with the "real" portion also looks great under some Palmiotti inks.

The end really seems a way to literally close the book here prior to GrayPal moving on with Jonah to the DCnU. Several memorable characters from the run pop up and have some nice moments with Jonah.

A pretty good issue. But not up there among the best one's I've read from this run.

Adventure Comics # 529:

I think Levitz closes off the Legion Academy arc off in good fashion here, giving the students a chance to save the day against Cosmic King. The Borges/Alquiza art is attractive. Though it felt almost obligatory of Levitz to kill off one of the students, I have to admit that the scene comes off pretty nice.

It'll be nice to see several of the characters graduate to this weeks new LSH #1, but I wish they included Gravity Kid and Jed Rikane among them. I like that Paul officially "outs" them here, but it seems wasted when the characters are being taken off the board.

Batman: Gates of Gotham #4:

This is a good, overlooked miniseries from my current favorite writer Scott Snyder and co-writer Kyle Higgins. I love that they are deepening Gotham's history here and tying in the Elliotts (Hush's family) and Cobblepots into it, along with the Waynes. I'm certain that this is a blueprint that Snyder will be building upon as his run resumes in DCnU Batman.

One thing I'm suddenly a bit apprehensive about is that Snyder has written Dick Grayson so well as Batman that having him switch to writing Bruce in the relaunch could suffer in comparison. Snyder sold Dick as Batman as so uniquely Dick (better than Morrison, IMO) that I wonder if he'll write Bruce in as interesting a way. We'll know soon enough.

This is also a tense, exciting thriller that also utilizes Cassandra, Tim and Damien very effectively. It's also a good mystery! Can't wait to read the conclusion soon. Definitely recommended!

Flashpoint #4:

You know what? I enjoyed this penultimate issue of Flashpoint quite a bit! It was packed with character and plot and was serviced very well by Andy Kubert on art. Flashpoint is much-maligned for many reasons, but if you read it by itself (thru 4 issues, at least), it's not a bad story. These things are often hurt by the greed of the publishers blowing it up into a mega-event. Few books can live up to that kind of hype. But if you take it as what it really is--a nice Flash-centric alternate reality yarn--then it's not bad at all.

Unfortunately, it's blown up to be not only a mega-event, but the conclusion of an era of the DC Universe. I've little doubt that the conclusion will disappoint in that respect. But issue four was an exciting, full read that was also, dare I say it, fun! Loved for example, the twist on the Captain Marvel concept that got a chunk of the spotlight, this go-round.

Yeah, there was a bit of carnage thrown in, but it's all in good fun with a reality reset/reboot around the corner.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Punisher Max #16 concluded the third arc "Frank" that gets us a rare look into the past of Frank Castle before he donned the skull of the Punisher. We see flashbacks of Frank returning home from Vietnam and having difficulty reconnectiong with his family and settling down into a normal job. Vietnam has changed him completely.

Frank is reflecting on this as he's recuperating in solitary confinement in prison. The last arc "Bullseye" left him badly injured and incarcerated. You can imagine what this stirs up among his fellow prisoners, many of whom have friends and family executed by the vigilante.

So in this issue both past and present storylines conclude. We see again what happened to Castle's family, what his last conversation with his wife was and how that having been the way he left off with her haunts him. In the present we see Castle get out of his situation and where he will go from there.

Really, this continues to be an excellent series that never disappoints. Aaron's scripts are very interesting and full of character and action. And it's a sheer pleasure to see Steve Dillon again on a monthly basis. He's a natural for a Punisher book. Together, they bring more depth to Frank in this particular arc than he's rarely had over his existence. Here, we learn that he's punishing himself in his mission in his own way as much as he's punishing the scum he encounters.

It's a dark, gritty, violent book, but not one with out an element of dark humor. Not for everybody, but still very solid.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I read The Red Wing #2 today. Red Wing is an Image Comics mini written by FF's Jonathan Hickman. This is a book about war being waged thru time travel, via rocket planes (the titlular Red Wing) that fly cross space and time.

The art is by Nick Pitarra, whose style reminds me a bit of Geoff Darrow's style. It's very detailed but rough at the same time.

This issue deals with 2 storylines as we follow a pilot who crash landed in, I believe, pre-conquest Incan South America, while in the "present" we follow his son who is attempting to follow in his dad's path as a pilot/time-traveller. It ends with a bit of a shocker that links the two in a way while revealing more about the Red Wing's mysterious enemy.

It's a pretty strong effort so far that I feel dwarfs Hickman's work at Marvel to this point. This one is not open-ended and drawn out like everything he does there. No, I wouldn't be surprised if Red Wing continues in future volumes, but knowing that this one will end after 4 issues, makes me feel like there will be some sense of closure at least. I suspect, also, that most creators put their all into concepts that they actually own than the work-for-hire stuff, anyway.

Good first two issues--hoping for a strong concluding two!

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Red Wing! Waiting for the TPB, but I'm glad to hear you enjoy it so far.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm also loving it. Utterly fantastic so far!

(I should note I also enjoy Hickman's FF and SHIELD much more than Lardy. I consider SHIELD better than 98% of DC and Marvel's comics.)

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Mark Millar and Johnny Romita Jr.’s Kick-Ass (vol. 2) continues to be a huge amount of fun whenever an issue comes out. The recent #3 was the perfect balance act between over the top humor with ultra-serious moments that happen like a blitzkrieg, shocking the reader and advancing the plot.

I resisted this comic throughout its first volume and it was only when I got the movie on a plane last year that I got to see just how fun this was. I picked up this second volume and have been enjoying it since.

I happen to like a good amount of what Millar does, especially his creator-owned stuff. I’m also a huge fan of JR Jr. So if you like these creators, you’ll love this—its 100% Millar with 100% Romita Jr. with no restraints. If you dislike even one of them, you’ll probably hate this.

But the bottom line is that this is fun, fun, fun. Despite things like decapitations and crazy violence and sex related stuff, though that kind of enhances the fun too.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 13 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath #2: After what I thought was a decent #1, the second issue was a whole lotta "meh". Basically, it was predictable as hell. GLs disagree with Guardians and go after them. Guardians stay aloof and tell the GLs to get the hell back to their sectors. Further instructions on a need-to-know basis. How many times have we seen this exact same plot?!?!

This was most definitely a place-holder/money grab, and I'm sorry I blew $8 of my hard-earneds. Stay away from it unless you've got THAT much moolah to blow. Instead, try out a new Image book, and you'll likely find something a lot more interesting.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Blue Estate #5

I know Cobie's been curious about this one for a while. Blue Estate is kind of a mish-mash of a mob story, celebrity dirty deeds analogs and private eye genres with a little helping of skimpily-clad ladies in tow.

After five issues, I find that there's stuff to like in each issue, but the story tends to be difficult to keep straight in monthly doses. This is even with clever recap pages that begin each issue. Even with those, there are a lot of half-remembered references and forgotten characters popping in and out. They're all connected, but as some characters take an issue off, you forget who they are.

In other words I think Blue Estate will read better in trade form or with a bunch of issues hoarded and read together. Actually, maybe I'd recommend the latter because I don't see the trade collecting 1-4 as being all that satisfying of a read as it is.

The art for this issue lists 5 names as the book's artists with the lead artist also being the principle storyteller Viktor Kalvachev. The art looks about as inconsistent as the number of artists would imply. They mesh together fairly well, but the book could benefit from a single penciller, etc.

I guess this review trends toward the negative, but it's not really bad at all. Maybe most people could keep track better than I am? [shrug] If you'd like to read a serialized monthly drama with some action, a web of intrigue and a dose of humor, then you could do a lot worse.

I'm on the fence as to whether I get issue 6.

--------------------

This topic comprises 22 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  20  21  22   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.