Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Am I over comic books? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Am I over comic books?
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Pov reminded me on Facebook about my love of the current Doom Patrol. There's an issue in my stack and I got a little excited.

Yay!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I know what you mean LAsh. But I do like some of the stuff I am getting from DC at this point.

I, like I think you do, miss when comics were fun. Fun to read, and not a matter of dreading who was going to be killed or maimed this month. The Walking Dead being the exception...as you cannot wait to see what happens to them next.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I just read 3 comics.

Marvel Zombies 5 # 5 was really REALLY good.

I'm not over comics I guess. [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I was kinda underwhelmed by the last 2 issues of WARLORD (which I finally read last night) although I did enjoy Grell's art.

So underwhelmed I almost set the rest of my stack aside-- instead, I chose to read the last 2 issues of the second RAWHIDE KID mini, but after doing a search for "Rawhide Kid" and seeing Cobie's decidedly negative review elsewhere in this forum, I'm a little a-scared to report that I enjoyed them. [Smile]

It was silly goofy fun with NICE Chaykin art. All in all, though, I wondered what I else I could have done with the $16 I spent on it.

So I'm slOOOOwly moving through my stack. I came into some extra cash today and do plan on hitting the CBS this weekend. So that's good.

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I picked up the Legion stuff today. Will read it and comment later, when I'm less tired.

I was floored (in a good way) to see that James Sturm has a new graphic novel out. Unfortunately it's way too rich for my blood right now, but I want iiiiit11!!! Sturm has been a fave of mine forever.

[sulk]

Eh. Maybe next month I can have it.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I had to share this:

I cancelled everything on my pull list.

I believe the final straw was when the DCU Legacies mini that I had initially championed so enthusiastically devoted an issue to Doomsday/Azbats.

I just can't take it anymore.

I'll still get Steve Bissette's comeback book and the next installments of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen whenever they all come out, but otherwise I've embarked on my second hiatus from the month-in/month-out thing. The first one lasted from late '97 to early '05. Who can say how long this one will? [Frown]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Rise of Arsenal #4 was so bad it made me drop just about everything I picked up from DC. For about a couple of months.

Sorry, I love them too much and owe them too much to drop them now. If I really stopped caring about the characters I wouldn't be protesting so hard.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I had to share this:

I cancelled everything on my pull list.

I believe the final straw was when the DCU Legacies mini that I had initially championed so enthusiastically devoted an issue to Doomsday/Azbats.

I just can't take it anymore.

I was wondering what happened to you in that thread. You got me into that book and then ditched me! [Wink]

I agree that the Bane/Doomsday issue wasn't the best but I've been enjoying that book enough to keep going the few issues it has left.

I certainly don't begrudge you for dropping it (or your other titles) though. My patience with comics these days is so thin that I give most books only one or two bad issues before I drop them. I do not have the time, money or inclination to continue buying things that don't bring me pleasure anymore.

Hope you stick around Legion World though.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Comic books have certainly gone through better times. I'm not buying much anymore, but a lot of that has to do with money, time and other priorities. I've been doing a lot of re-reading of books in my collection in recent years. That is keeping the hobby fresh for me since it's been years since I read some of these books.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Blacula, I'm definitely sticking around, I'm just more likely to be found at MMB than Gymll's these days. But that was very sweet of you. Thanks.

Jerry, I'm also re-reading old favorites as well as catching up on the good stuff that I missed during my first hiatus.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I recently got my entire pull-bag bought for me as a surprise early Christmas gift (I usually pick out about $20-$30 worth of the titles therein, my favorite stuff only, when I go). I haven't read the first book out of it yet but I will get around to it.

I kind-of wish he hadn't done that... there was some stuff in there I wasn't sure I wanted anymore like JLA and the last 3 issues of Adventure (the flashback stories have not been good IMO). There were several books in there I had intended to put back on the shelf.

The only super-faves of mine in the stack are the latest I ZOMBIE and DOOM PATROL issues.

But that was very sweet, and I will get around to reading them maybe today and tomorrow.

The best news about all this is, my pull is now emptied except for what came in Wednesday, and now I should work to keep it under control and buy ONLY what I know I really like the best.

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Lash, I've noticed that lately a lot of my old favs are falling to the bottom of the list, like JSA and Flash.

Its disheartening, but then I remember that I get books like the above mentioned BoP, Secret Six and DP, and I see hope.

I'd say I'm closer to be over TV than I am comics.

I've also noticed that I am enjoying more independents, like the late lamented Strangers in Paradise, the latest Buck Rodgers, and Gail's Tranquility. (I know, but I consider it an independent, lol)

I've about given up on Marvel and now only collect the excellent Hawkeye mini's and when I see a regular book, Herc.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm going through one of those phases again...

Now that the excitement of the New 52 has worn down, I find it hard to bring myself to read any comics.

I recently read Young Avengers # 7, which was good... and then green Arrow and Legion Lost # 3, both of which were very boring. I still have several # 3s in there to read, and haven't checked on my pull bag at the CBS in WEEKS.

Feh.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I've bought next to nothing the last month or two, and it is going to severely impact my pull list. I will buy what is in my bin, and probably finish off some stories, but my full pull list is going to be very short from here on out.

Between other things that need money (car, house, kids) I find that I am enjoying buying movies that I want, amongst looking for back issues that I am going to start hunting down.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
The New 52 broke me of DC ... almost ... I'm only getting OMAC for how long it lasts and Batwoman. Oh and Stormwatch still twists my arm ... but I'm trying to drop it.

The rest are just 19 pages. and some of that is Splash pages. I can't deal.

So, I'm back to getting the same amount of DC comics as I was before the reboot. except now I'm jaded.

Also, the frenetic pace with which Marvel has been churning out the events has really worn me out. I am excited about Wolverine's XMen and their return to the school but, the Avengers have me fatigued from the melodrama.

I'm gravitating more and more towards just indies .... which is odd for me since I've always loved super hero books.

I've actually been so fatigued i've given up getting everything i usually get ... i have to make a point of getting only things i love. which is about a third of what i previously got ... but it's sad i was previously getting so much stuff i just wasn't into.

At least thanks to legion World I can find out about old runs of good things i've missed over the years.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.