Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Am I over comic books? (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Am I over comic books?
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I am sorely tempted to post my grocery list to the "So, What'd You Get This Week?" thread.

[Poverty Lad]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
[ROTFLMAO]

Oh, Cleome...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
STILL haven't read ANYTHING, and have been housebound ALL weekend with a big stack waiting...

I blame the internet, and the DVR. And to a lesser extent, Cobalt Kid. [Wink]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hang in there another two weeks Lash and we'll have a CBRM! Hopefully by then you havent dropped your entire pull list!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've come to an important realization: I'll never be completely over comic books.

That said, I've sampled the more acclaimed of both the independents and the Big Two, and found them all somehow lacking.

I think it's a case of being out of step with the current aesthetic, which makes sense when you consider that comics' current main movers-and-shakers are from my own generation, and I've always felt out of step with my own generation. And as for the writers who were on the cutting edge twenty or thirty years ago, I'm no longer fooling myself that, nowadays, the majority of them are either going through the motions or being treated like dirt by their editors.

Maybe the next generation of creators will do work more to my liking, maybe not. At this point I'm not worried about it anymore. Also, my local library system seems to have cut back severely on acquiring new trades, which robs me of another avenue with which to peruse the new stuff. Finally, money is tight, and what I little I can spend I prefer to spend on DVDs of cartoons that I loved in grade school and junior high.

So here's to the future. The present can't change soon enough. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm letting things pile up again, so I am about to shut down the laptop and do a little reading. I'm only sort-of excited to read Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest, but I have heard decent reports so I am going to read them first!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't read anything in about two months. I've been picking my books up regularly, but they've just been piling up at home. Between work, the election and family stuff, I've just been too busy or too tired to bother. It may be time to make the break to trades.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've migrated ... away from the big two ... more or less.

but Earth 2 and World's Finest doubled the comics I get from DC!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely recommend sampling the various Image,
Dark Horse, Dynamite and other independents reviewed on LW to reinvigorate your fire for comics. It's what has kept me so enthusiastic for the medium.

Marvel and DC have a few good comics each but the vast majority of their stuff is crap (and even if it starts good, they eventually let a series turn to crap). Its difficult to cut through their mediocre stuff to find the gems, and that can leave you exhausted.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't know if I'm "over" comic books, but today I cut my pull list back to two books -- LSH and Legion Lost.

I looked at my CBS's "New This Week" rack just to test my resolve, and I still felt "meh" about everything there. It just seems there are more important ways to spend my time and money right now.

Bye-bye "Before Watchmen". So long "Saga". Farewell "Wolverine and the X-Men"...and all the rest.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Aw. [Frown]

I thought we got you hooked on some good 'uns like....Chew, maybe? [Hmmm?] Sorry Saga didn't do it for ya, LT.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Lardy, as far as comics go, I was enjoying Saga and Chew and others, and I'm glad I found out about them here. I just need to make room for some other things for now.

I'll keep reading the reviews here, though!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
dude. There is so much gore and blood all over the comic's covers these days ... I'm talking Batman holding a jaw ... It may take some effort to find a character on a cover NOT dripping in blood.

I'm not neccessarilly opposed to horror or it being on a cover ... I'm not talking about Saga or New Deadwardians (which is a horror story with very little gore and blood on the cover or within ... same with Fatale)

I'm talking about blood being all over the DC and Marvel covers ... I'm not even coming from a moral perspective, like Batman's partner is a ten year old ... maybe he shouldn't being ripping off people's faces.

(I wouldn't criticize Hit Girl, that seems appropriate for the story ... and if i don't like it I wont buy it)

but ... it just seems like the big two are throwing blood and guts at everyone irrespective of story and/or characters personalities.

its lazy, somewhat irresponsible, and sensationalist.

does the blood sell the story or does the story sell the story.

I think its pretty obvious blood and "i've never seen someone die that way before" may sell a few issues, while the story will sell the series.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
With the final issue of Avengers Academy in my hot little hands, I'm left with X-Factor as my only Marvel purchase.

When Legion Lost ends, I'll be down to Legion of Super-Heroes as my sole regular DC purchase.

I feel like one of those disgruntled politicians who becomes an independent and says, 'I didn't leave my party. My party left me.'

I'm picking up random things lately, like Teen Titans and Journey into Mystery and Hypernaturals, just to see if anything leaps out and engages me, but so far nothing has tackled me to the ground and demanded my moneys yet.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I saw a recent preview of Avengers Arena #1 ...

which has X-23 skewering Hazmat as Hazmat fries the flesh off X-23's skeleton ... scrambling eye balls and all.

Kill or be Killed. [Wink]

I'm not sure if I would notice so much except that the "murder murder murder guns ammo claws" ... is running the show rather than being part of the show.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.