Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
When I was a little kid, I loved comic books more than any other kids I knew—because my Dad loved comic books. It was “our thing” and it remains that way to this day. My other siblings interest comes and goes over the years, but its really me and my father who consider it our hobby.

I was raised on Silver Age Marvel comics. For the first 11 years or so of my life, that is mainly what I read (or had read to me). There were some exceptions (Flash, Firestorm, etc.) but it was mainly Silver Age Marvel.

And so, one day on the way home from a family outing to the Beach, my Dad realized we were right near our then comic book store and told my Mom he was going to run in and get this week’s comics. Realizing I’d never been in it, I asked him if I could join him, and he said “of course!”. My brothers and sister decided to wait in the car.

Now, being only 11, I had no real money to my name. I could barely scrounge up $2.00. But I was determined to buy a comic book for myself.

-

It was “What If?” #41: “What if the Avengers had fought Galactus?”

Being a Silver Age Marvel fan (and knowing really nothing that happened between 1970 and now, which at that time was 1992), I felt it was a question I had to know the answer to!

I loved it. I loved it so much that I must have reread it a dozen times. I the early Marvel history so well at that point that each panel was like a light bulb going off for me: “No Fantastic Four means no Namor revived!” “Which means no Captain America revived!” “So Iron Man stays with the Avengers, not Cap!”

I couldn’t wait to show it to my Dad. I *knew* he would love it. I felt so proud.

And…he loved it. So much that we started to collect “What If?” Then I really felt proud—we were collecting a whole new series because of the comic I bought.

I went back the next week with him bought two more (with my own money). And then the next week. And soon even though it was on his way home from work, he’d come get me and bring me back so we could go together. And he stopped me from using my own money so I could add comics I thought were worth getting.

And I’ve never *not* gone since.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
This is probably my favorite Cobie post ever.
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Not about one issue.

[ August 29, 2011, 07:55 PM: Message edited by: Dev - Em ]

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
This is probably my favorite Cobie post ever.

[Smile]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Nice post, Cobie.

I'm jealous that you are able to share your love of comics with your dad.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Now, back in those days, a time called "the mid-90s" by some...
We went on one all the way to Johnson City, TN one time... now, Memphis and Johnson City are QUITE a distance apart....

Why Lash, you were very near where I was born and raised. In fact, if you were traveling the interstate, you may have passed within half a mile of where I lived when I discovered the Legion. If I'd only known you were coming....
[Hmmm?] Apparently LT and I grew up very close to one another.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
The summer after I finished first grade, we actually had somebody come to summer camp and give away comics. (Could it have been an actual DC directive to do this? I honestly don't remember why this happened, but I believe they were new comics.)

My comic was Wonder Woman, and somehow involved her running a gauntlet of giant exploding teeth to save the other Amazons, who were being held hostage by a (female) baddie.

That's all I remember.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Cleome, was it this one? Detailed info here.

Click for fullsize image

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes! I think so. And 1973 would definitely place it in the proper time period, Teeds.

[Cool]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
How did you know, Teeds?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Google, young Lash. Cleome gave a very good description, and she lists her birthdate in her profile, so I knew the timeframe checked out.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
You're so Oracle!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who LSHes:
Nice post, Cobie.

I'm jealous that you are able to share your love of comics with your dad.

I 100% agree!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Google, young Lash. Cleome gave a very good description, and she lists her birthdate in her profile, so I knew the timeframe checked out.

Now those are some mad research skills!

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Shouldn't a Brainiac have research standards more rigorous than "punch keywords into The Google"?

Shouldn't everyone be telling their stories? More, people, more!

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.