Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book! (Page 10)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
EDITED OUT

I have NO idea how that happend.

Instead, I will just post this:

-

[ November 17, 2011, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: LASHbrain ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
awwww ...

[Smile]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Darlin, I love your taste in Avengers comics.

Thank you, kind sir.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
A little addendum to the Avengers 375 story...I remember a Superman discussion in this forum where Lardy said he loved the Ordway/Simonson/Stern/Jurgens era of Superman so much that he honestly couldn't see himself ever loving Superman that much again. That pretty much sums up how I feel about that Avengers era.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Avengers 375, 1994

-

It was the end of an era, and all too symbolic for Crystal to be weeping in the final panel. Bob Harras & Steve Epting were wrapping up their grand Avengers vs Gatherers epic, which I had been following religiously. It didn't disappoint me in the least. There hasn't been an Avengers issue since then that has fully satisfied me.

When this issue came out, it was the single most important comic to me that I'd ever waited for in 'real time'. The Dane / Crystal romance essentially inspired my perception of tragic love. And the complications! Sersi, Pietro, even the Vision. Every time Sersi or Pietro did something to make me hate them, they redeemed themselves.

By now I was engrossed with the series and had even write Bob Harras a letter (and even called my Dad at work to tell him Hank was Giant Man again).

Those final panels broke my heart...but oh, how Dane was so noble!

Also, best Herc EVER including the Silver Age and Stern. They even got me to like Thunderstrike (I'd grow to like Eric in later years when I read the entire Thor run).

The revelation of Proctor in the issue prior blew my pre-teen mind!!!

This was my Uncanny X-Men #138.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well said, Cobie. I agree 100% with everything in your post.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

The early 80s... (VERY early, IIRC)... I was just a little kid... I had read and enjoyed the 70s revival Teen Titans (who seemed WAY older than me) and the LSH (Grell era... WAY older/sexier than me or my peers)... I was a teen on the verge!! Things were happening-- to my body!! NOBODY WILL EVER UNDERSTAND ME OR WHAT I AM GOING THROUGH!!!!!

Then the NEW MUTANTS graphic novel came out, and thanks to my grandmother, who is more fabulous than I can EVER CONVEY TO ANYONE (and STILL is), I got to buy it, read it and love it (and STILL own it)! THEN came THIS issue:

-

I bought it on one of my weekly weekend trips with Granny to pick up her sister (my Mimi), who lived quite close to the comic shop.

Of course it was a great book, with great characters, who --unlike those DC "teen teams" (that I j'adored, don't get it twisted)-- actually seemed to be REAL CLOSE to my age, just a smidge older!! But all that doesn't matter.

What REALLY matters here, is me remembering reading it in her living room-- or whatever you wanna call it-- a separate room from the den, anyway-- in an awesome rocking chair as the sun shined through the window... a memory, for some reason I have never forgotten.

I have already decided to make this actually-superflous room a library one day, when the house is mine.

And any opportunity to thank Granny (and more indirectly, Mimi) for me becoming the fan I am is welcome to me. My Granny is the SOLE REASON I have both the music AND the comic collection I have. She gave me the funds necessary to have both, and only occasionally flinched at what I bought... (let's just say she isn't the Tanya Tucker fan *I* am, tee-hee).

Mimi may be gone now, but Granny STILL helps me read so many comics every month, I like to tell her whenever I've been to the CBS... and she's always happy I have something to read. I'm her baby and always will be.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

One song Granny DID like (I suspect for both the mention of Mama and the crazy blue eyes of my Poppaw, who she has now been married to for over 70 years):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlq5e19PuIQ

I have the 45 still. This is for you, Granny. [Smile]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Love the Granny story, Lash! Those specific memories, even when really brief, can be so comforting when you need a little smile.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I wonder if Granny would even remember telling me how much she liked that Lacy J. Dalton song now? Probably so if I played it for her.

The only other real song-commentary memory I have with Granny is when we were going somehwere in her Taurus (which she STILL has and only has like 60,000 miles on it), and I was playing a mix tape I had made. She said this song was pretty, but really really sad (this was the angsty early 90s):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGXuJKWjoYM

This song has another mention of "Mom". Granny cared for her Mama until the very end (which I remember a little bit of). She loved her Mama a LOT.

Anyhoo, I know this is off-topic. I was somehow compelled to document this somewhere I love and with people I care about, so thanks.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Early Aughts

The comics show, last day, one hour before closing. The guys at a nearby table announce 75% off. You don't have to tell me twice! I saw it (it was new to me) and HAD to buy it. You would have too. Just look at that:

Click for fullsize image

VF+ if not better, and about $3, baby.

Does that cover have anything to do with the interior story ?
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by LASHbrain:

IT SHOULD BE NOTED DEPT: I later got into CODENAME: KNOCKOUT by Vertigo, but it was TOTES FUN. And currently enjoy the hell out of the poptastic IZOMBIE.

CODENAME KNOCKOUT : GOGO FIASCO.

awwww I miss GOGO.

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Avengers 375, 1994

-

After all these recommendations, I may have to hunt this down ...

hmmmm

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Lash, your stories are wonderful. As Harbinger (God, I miss her) would say: more, more, more.

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
After all these recommendations, I may have to hunt this down ...

Yay Peebs!

I would recommend, though, reading the entire Harras/Epting run chronologically. Leaving out the fill-in issues by other creators, the run consists of: 334-339, 343-351, 355-369, and 372-375. They're all easy to find cheap. Happy reading.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Fanfie will know the issue number, but an even better issue than the above one, which occurs about mid-run, is the one with the huge confrontation with the Kree soldiers that have a nega-bomb. Dane, Crystal & Herc are all captured and its when Hank becomes Giant-Man again for the first time. It may just be my single favorite Avengers issue of all time. That's the issue that made me write Bob Harras a letter (with pen and paper--I was 11 years old).
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.