Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book! (Page 7)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Poor Maxima, worst date ever ...
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
Frenching your new chick as she sits on your dead wife's grave is considered classy on Krypton.

Super-Klassy, Kal.

I want to point out that I made up the drag king name "Clark Repent" before I saw this cover.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've thought of another one ...

I worked in Hong Kong for a year a couple years ago, It was the first time I've ever worked abroad, and the first real time I ever lived abroad.

I was uber lonely, separated from my bf, my dogs, and my friends ... not to mention I was depressed to be working frickin ALL THE TIME ... and I made some fun friends to go out with but, HK didn't have a lot to do when it came to my interests ... live music, museums, .... COMIC BOOKS ...

There were supposed to be a couple CBSs but I could never find them ... (months later when I did, the one I found was just a novelty shop)

One day I was going through the magazine rack at the fancy grocery store as I probably was buying some salami and cheese to sooth my comic book pangs ....

and I muther frickin SAW .... THIS!!!!

-

Hell yeah.

great art = check
dystopian future = check
the return of MY Legion/(FAVORITE)/original (it's been soooo long) = CHECK!!!

*sigh* It was almost as if Superman was flying through my hazy loneliness to say .... "Here's some old friends!"

I think I got these issues a couple months behind the curve but, I got them ALL, and they were so perfectly good .... they were almost enough to get me through my comic book famine.

It wouldn't be such a great story if the few comic books I was able to get during that year weren't so .... AMAZING.

Recently, while at a comic book sale, I bought mint copies to keep in their plastic bags forever. And even more recently while visiting my mom, I found some of the VARIENT COVERS (who knew there were beautiful varient covers TOO [Big Grin] ) .... at the only good comic store in the area where she lives.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
quote:
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
Frenching your new chick as she sits on your dead wife's grave is considered classy on Krypton.

Super-Klassy, Kal.

I want to point out that I made up the drag king name "Clark Repent" before I saw this cover.

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Poor Maxima, worst date ever ...

Okay, I'll admit the cover's tacky, but it's the story inside that counts.

(Not that I don't realize that the snarking's done in fun, and not that didn't find the snarking uproariously funny.)

I just hope you all will give it a chance.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

If I come across it in the bins, there's NO WAY I can pass it up now!
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
If I come across it in the bins, there's NO WAY I can pass it up now!

LOL [LOL]

Good to know. [Smile]

And with comics of the early 90s having ridiculously large print runs, it should be easy to find cheap.

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

[LOL] indeed Teeds. Besides, I'm thinking she sounds a lot like my Power Boy character in the LOTO story.

[Hug] FL

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Awwww.

[Hug] PB

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Hey you two, DON'T get a room on Shanghalla!
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

[ROTFLMAO]

Neither of us swings in the other's direction. [Wink]

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Here's another story:

In the mid-90s, I was following very little DC because I hated what they did to Superman, Batman, and Hal Jordan. And Batman: Shadow of the Bat had gone into a quality spiral when Norm Breyfogle left after the first arc. Alan Grant is one of my favorite writers, but I've always felt that his Batman run, while his best-known and most lucrative run, was not his best-quality work.

Fast forward to 2010. I'm browsing in a used bookstore and they have a small selection of used comics. And I found this:

-

Grant & Kitson? The L.E.G.I.O.N. team supreme reunited? Gimme!

Now, the story wasn't that good, neither Grant nor Kitson delivering one hundred percent, but there's a very special kind of tingle that one feels when they see one of their favorite creative team's names on a book. So, just for delivering that tingle, this one is special to me.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I was all about Shadow of the Bat when I was a kid. From Zasszz to the Catman / Calendar Man/ Killer Moth team up to the Ugly American. That's when I began to associate "Alan Grant" with "must read". I remember that issue too Fanfie--by then the magic was kind of gone but I was still totally dedicated to the series!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Thanks to Alan Grant, even Lobo's solo ongoing had its moments!

"The Fragnificent Seven" -- come on, what's not to love?

Kind of a funny story about that book -- Keith Giffen got pissed off at Alan Grant for agreeing to write the Lobo solo ongoing, and Alan's defense was, "Well, DC's gonna do it with or without me, so why should I let them turn some crap writer on him?" [LOL]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The western Lobo annual was a highlight of the 90's!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Click for fullsize image

This was an issue I always wanted to get. Ultra Boy being my favorite character from the "Adventure Era" Legionnaires. I remember saving up a bit of money to take to a convention, this was in the mid 90's sometime, and I knew this issue wasn't going to be cheap. Anyway, I trekked to the local comic con, which happened to have a Mr. Curt Swan as a guest that year, and began my search.

Long story short, I found several copies for a variety of prices. Some above what I was willing to pay, and the others were pretty shabby copies. I had gotten several books signed by Mr Swan, and was pretty happy with other things I had found that day. I had a little money left and was getting ready to leave when I decided to check out one last vendor.

Searching through the books, I realized he had some very reasonable prices...and then I came upon the issue. Superboy *98, and it was in really good condition...not mint by any stretch of the imagination, but a nice relatively clean copy.

I checked my pocket...I had $10 left. I turned the book over slowly, dreading what I was going to see on the price tag that he had affixed to the back of the book.

I left the convention that day with a signed copy of Superboy #98, and three dollars still in my pocket.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.