Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book! (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Tell your story about ONE purchase of a comic book!
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Have you read any of Alan Grant's Judge Anderson stories yet, Cobie?

EDIT: Sorry, Dev, our posts overlapped. I loved your story about Superboy #98. Warmed my heart.

[ November 17, 2011, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: Fanfic Lady ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I am not ashamed to admit I was a WIZARD fan, in its heyday. I enjoyed their brand of humor very much and it probably influenced my own writing/posting style to many degrees. Though WIZARD and I parted ways once I realized I wasn't as into it anymore, and comics had just hit like $2.50 for regular titles not just independent titles and I realized the $5/month I was spending on WIZARD would be better-spent on 2 comics... we didn't part before it introduced me to THIS independent gem:

-

The small write-up on their back-issue price guide told me all I needed to know-- a hardcore warped crazy spin on the Teen Titans, or words to that effect.

I was fascinated by the cover depicted... I found and still find it both grotesque and extremely erotic. It said to me, "This sidekick is worried about getting older-- and possibly being booted out by his superhero mentor." which led my mind down all kinds of twisted paths. But I was officially BP-curious...

I **HAD** to find out... I **HAD** to have it.

Next time I went to my CBS, I was totally shocked and delighted to find the entire miniseries in the back-issue bins for only a bit over cover price. I snatched them all up.

For the record-- this mini is NOT for the squeamish... these teen heroes are absolutely AWFUL people, thanks to their equally awful mentors (the exception being the Robin analogue, who pays for being the only nice guy on the team-- repeatedly).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't "get" Brat Pack.

Where's the entertainment value in wallowing witlessly in such ugliness?

Or is it just that Rick Veitch's sense of humor doesn't click with me?

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It definitely isn't for everyone. This was the 90s and the utter height of GRIM n GRITTY though, and honestly the Teen Titans ARE a concept that would easily lend itself to this kind of pitch-dark tale.

I didn't find BRAT PACK humorous at all... I found it utterly horriffic... DISCLAIMER: This does NOT mean I did not enjoy it. Again though, NOT for everyone, or even most people [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't read Brat Pack so I can't comment on that, but perhaps a thread on How dark is too dark and When does gritty just mean dirt might be interesting?
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I agree that the Teen Titans concept does lend itself to a warped perspective, I just thought it could have been done differently, not just wall-to-wall grossness.

Hmmmm...this might make a good thread in the Titans forum.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
I haven't read Brat Pack so I can't comment on that, but perhaps a thread on How dark is too dark and When does gritty just mean dirt might be interesting?

Make it so, Patricia!

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by LASHbrain:
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:

Make it so, Patricia!
What he said.

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

No, Fresh Trish, I'm the muse and you're the thread starter.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Fanny and I have teamed up on you, Toots! I mean-- Teeds! Maybe Fanny herself should do the honors?

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Glad to. I'll just need a couple minutes.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Glad to. I'll just need a couple minutes.

HOORAY! Meanwhile, I have ONE more tale to tell about a Wizard recommendation...

so I'll be back shortly... *prepares*

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

I read Wizard when I was getting back into comics about a dozen years ago. It may not have been completely to my taste, but it helped bring me up to speed on things and I enjoyed the spoof covers and recommendations sprinkled through the price guide (which was funny in its own way). After I got home 'net access, it wasn't telling me stuff I didn't already know, so....
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I JUST LOST A HUGE, HUUUGE POST on Sandman # 20... and my whole perspective on Vertigo, and it was the wittiest bestest post EVER and it is GONE because PHOTOBUCKET IS BEING AN ASSWIPE.

I am inconsolable.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Awwww, Lash. [Hug]

It wasn't meant to be.

But we can still talk about it. You know I feel the same as you about Vertigo in general and Sandman in particular.

I just Googled Sandman 20. The Element Girl issue. I hated it. Let's hate it together.

--------------------

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.