Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
This thread is for you to share your reviews of the various DC titles launching or relaunching in September!

Does it rock? Does it suck? Was it just kinda "meh"? Share as many of your thoughts as you care to, but if it's good, bad or in-between, please share your thoughts as to why.

Ideally, this thread is for those titles not currently having their own threads. So keep that in mind, but no hands will be slapped (or shins kicked!) if you share a Superman, Batman, etc. review here.

The main rules are: 1) Stick to DCnU books here, and 2) if you want to talk about the DCnU and its trends more generally, there are other topics for that.

Thanks, and let's hope it doesn't suck! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'll kick off here.

I don't know if you'd count Flashpoint # 5 as DCnU, but: the ending was a great tearjerker, and if it were not overshadowed by the universal reboot (which I'm guessing was tacked on after the fact to a story that was meant to be more personal than cosmic) it would have had people saying that Flashpoint was one of the greatest crossover series ever.

I flipped through JLA. Very nice art, but very little story to accompany it. I didn't bother buying it.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Overall, some pretty positive reviews on this week's initial batch of thirteen from Bleeding Cool.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I was prepared to loathe OMAC, but it actually sounds quite interesting based on that review.

People have commented on the mysterious woman in the DCnU but I seem to be seeing Dan DiDio look-alikes in a lot of the previews.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
This may have convinced me to buy Men at War! Even Static Shock has me a little curious.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
OMAC was a complete jape that I enjoyed a great deal. Giffens Kirby impression has come on leaps and bounds even since the LSH Annual and the book looks absolutely wonderful. Didio's words were not painful and helped get the plot (what there was) across clearly.

I mention there was not a lot of plot in this issue because there wasn't as it was basically just an OMAC rampage through Cadmus; what this left though was a nice introduction to the likely major players for the series (Simyan, Mokkari, Dubbilex!) and the main characters supporting cast including his girlfriend and boss(?)

The best bit for me though was right at the beginning with a little section of dialogue between the girlfriend and the boss(?) which could have easily come from The Heckler which everyone surely agrees can only be a good thing?

From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Wow, between Stuorstew and Bleeding Cool, I may just get Omac! Giffen humor addiction...overpowering Didio loathing...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
BAH! Anyone who deosn't get OMAC should have their heads checked!!

DiDio is NOT the devil, people!

But Giffen just might be an angel [Good]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I will give Didio this, he allowed Giffen to have a lot of fun at his expense in the latest Ambush Bug mini.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Dude ... My CBS sold out of all the dc titles today. I went at seven pm ! [Frown]
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
well I ll have to wait til next month to get all 50 books! I will get this month's JLA and Flashpoint #5 and that s it next week from Westfield order. that's it. :ermm:
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I have read my first post-JL new 52 title!

MEN OF WAR # 1

Here we meet the Sgt Rock of the DCnU, though he isn't quite a Sgt yet.

Both the lead story and the backup are engaging stories with very nice artwork. There's even a mysterious superhero element in the lead story that has me somewhat curious to continue the book.

I think comics need a book like this; I think there is going to be a set of fans who enjoy this very much.

Unfortunately, war book are just not my thing... as I previously stated, the superhero element was what I was clinging to... the war stuff itself, especially in the backup tale, is just too "real-world" for me, I think.

I guess the truth is, I go to comics for escapism... for villains with borderline silly plots and big ol' ridonkulous heroes. MEN OF WAR is just too real world for me.

But it wasn't a bad comic and I hope to see it do well without me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Interesting. I am a big fan of war comics and was worried this would be too superheroey, and not enough war-y. So your comments Lash are a nice endorsement!

It helps that yours is the second review I read that says this is a well-written comic book! I think that synches it: I'm grabbing it.

Also thrilled there is a pure war story back-up.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

STATIC SHOCK # 1

I generally like Scott McDaniels' art and do here as well.

There's some interesting stuff going on in this comic. The pace is FAST, there's no lollygagging, you meet the hero, his family and what he's all about as well as the villains and the hero's main associate PLUS there's a zappy little battle *AND* a --SHOCKER-- (pun intended) ending!

I was very very surprised by this!!

Fans of the Milestone 'verse (which I have just a small knowledge of) will not be disappointed... Dakota (the city) is still around, as is Hardware (in a fairly prominent role in Static's life).

This comic book was FAR better than Justice League # 1 in many ways!

Now, the question becomes, will I be onboard for # 2? I am leaning toward YES.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Wow, another great endorsement! I'm hearing Static has a definite Spider-Man feel (agree?).
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.