Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I suspected it would be. Still, I'll give them all a chance.

I did something today that I haven't done in a long time: I picked up the new comics on the day they came out! DC did something right during Week One by getting me *that* excited for comic books that I actually went and got them on a Wednesday.

Marvel smartly played it this week too: 3 of their 4 Ultimate relaunch titles debuted this week and all three were almos entirely sold out. I ended up grabbing all three of them as my DC excitement carried over.

I saw lots of series depleted at the CBS already, including Image and other titles. It looks like ultimately this has been good for all publishers so far.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Spoiler for Demon Knights (actually this might already be common knowledge, but it was news to me, so...)

Click Here For A SpoilerOne of the "Big Bads" is going to be Click Here For A SpoilerMordru!

Just breezed through this and Legion Lost quickly... I'll post more detailed reviews later. Apart from the 2 Legion titles I decided I was going to give Demon Knights and JLA Dark a try, and - even at first glance - I think DK is going to hook me for a while.

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I was prepared for Week 2 to be a lot slower than Week 1 for me, but I actually enjoyed quite a few titles! I don't think anything blew me completely away, but there was still a lot of great promise. Throwing out some stuff here that I don't believe has existing threads:

FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E. was a new read for me. The Creature Commandos and the whole set-up in general reminded me a bit too much of Hellboy. Still, it was a fun enough cast and concept. I like Ray's role here and like that even once this mission is over there's enough crazy rumblings and tension back at base to keep things interesting. Not a favorite new title, but I want to check back in to learn more!

GRIFTER was very much something that could have worked in other mediums, like a TV show. There's far more of the "con life" here than "shoot 'em up" which is what I got used to about Grifter in my limited exposure. As someone who's familiar enough with the WildC.A.T.S., I'm well aware of who the Daemonites are and their capabilities. I'm not sure how a new reader would read into them here as things are more shown than spelled out. As an overall story and introduction, there's some suspense and multiple hunts on now. Another book that didn't blow me away (after reading Resurrection Man the plane bits had a feeling of deja vu), but I did like it and I'm going to stick around for a bit. I can see this book having the potential to be a bit too slow to get to the point, if that makes sense, but I'm sure the pace will pick up once the pieces are in place.

RESURRECTION MAN. First encounter with this character as well, but if the title of the book doesn't give it away the first few pages spell out exactly what you need to know about the character's ability. Pretty neat. Usually a lot of supernatural stuff goes over my head, but the different forces after Resurrection Man seem interesting in their own ways. Can't put my finger on it, but I really liked this book. When I put it down I felt like I had a good read and enough story to safely say "episode one" was done - which is a rare feeling anymore in condensed comic book land.

DEMON KNIGHTS is tricky for me. It's a beautiful book art-wise with a lot going for it. A lot of players get introduced and everything is fairly clear to follow. I like the new Shining Knight and am curious about him/her/what. Much like MEN of WAR though for me, the genre isn't one of my affinities and I'm unsure if that'll ultimately make me lose interest in the title faster. Sticking through to number two to see what's up with Mordru and everyone. Hopefully the next issue will really pull me in. Can't place what my disconnect was besides the setting.

DEATHSTROKE. ...your costume is ridiculous. Still, though, it was a good issue. Again, it's rare to have a book do a done-in-one anymore but Deathstroke hits that pace just right while still leaving some interest to carry over into the next issue. The coloring on this book is fantastic. It's morbid of me, but I'm relieved that Click Here For A SpoilerSlade's new and hip support team ends up being a one-off killed by Slade's own hand. They weren't completely annoying (well, somewhat) but they just felt soooo out of place working alongside Slade. I was horrified they'd saddle him with a generic genius team of youngsters like Green Arrow has. Conflict averted! I think that ending, much like Detective Comics', made my opinion of the issue higher than I actually regarded it though.

SUICIDE SQUAD was better than I expected, but I smartly went in with low expectations. I also don't have the Secret Six bias going (not because it wasn't good, but because I haven't allowed myself to really dive into that series yet). It was a good introduction to the main characters and the "V for Vendetta" twist about who is interrogating the team didn't feel completely cliched given the type of criminals they're working with and need to check on. While I'm not sold on Harley's involvement here, there was something devilishly fun about how she was written. Even her Joker obsession was given a slight, unhealthy twist to it that makes her presence here more understandable. I'm curious to hear what fans of Secret Six have to say about this issue and the characterizations, as I'm no expert. Their next mission, while interesting, definitely seems a bit crazy. I'll need an explanation for this one. Also, Jenny Craig works? Click Here For A SpoilerAmanda Waller looks all young and slimmed down now. She's suspiciously cute, which is great and all, but I miss the old Waller visual and diversity.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Batwoman #1 - Relaunch? What relaunch? This story seamlessly flowed from Batwoman's 2009/2010 series in Detective. That's fine by me. The art is still haunting, stylized, and beautiful. Kate's still moody and kick ass tough. The story kind of creeps along while giving a feeling that there is something more bubbling under the surface. This series has a solid place on pull list, and I never doubted that it would.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I echo Jerry. Batwoman, while devoid of any signs of a DCNu, was a welcome addition. I missed this title. What's more is, unlike Batman and Green Lantern titles so far, when Batwoman mentioned past characters or events it actually gave you beautiful visuals to go with them. The backstory of Alice flows around Kate as she rants about it and even Renee Montoya and her old relationship with Kate is summed up well by the use of a single picture and good visual storytelling.

quote:
Originally posted by Future:
It was a good introduction to the main characters...

I should correct myself and say it was a good introduction to HALF the characters. We get some backstory/rationale for the presence of only Deadshot, Harley, and El Diablo.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
FINALLY ... was able to read a Batwoman story after hearing so much about this title.

Batwoman #1 is definitely not a book you flip through. Each page is intricately embellished.

That said, I think the issue did an awesome job of introducing characters and the world Batwoman operates in. And in fact, I think it made simple sense of her place in the new DC or irrespective of it.

Not sure how I feel about Bette being her protege ... seems a bit like tearing bette down to build up Batwoman.

The art is really all over the place, we've got Batwoman painted in costume ... A dark traditionalism for the majority of the book (ala Sandman, Manhunter, or Starman) .. and some Alred-esque flashback panels.

I think the art is a hugely ambitious ... and some minor things fail in the details ... but overall I'm *loving* how much is on the page.

The story was a whopping intro but ... not a story in of itself IMO. The La LLorona villain comes off IMO as a *setting* for the interesting bits of Kate and her cop love interest, dad, and Bette ... which strike me as trade length stories rather than a single issue concept.

Overall, there is a rich atmosphere created by the partnership of art and text.

My summary:

Batwoman is poised to be my new Manhunter or Starman book.

[ September 15, 2011, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Power Boy ]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
One: Batwoman was AMAZING. I'm actually glad they pushed it to the reboot, otherwise, think about it, the series would probably have ended permanently once the other books were rebooted, or they would restart at number one.

Two: What the HELL did they do to the Wall?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Flipping through this weeks' books covers (plus BATWING)... the only title that interests me is LEGION LOST, which explains why I haven't started reading and reviewing... Grifter? Deathstroke? Red Lanterns? *shudder*

I hope this weeks' books offer as many surprises as last week's did.

Because this lot of titles looks... well, pretty crappy based on titles alone.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I also feel a little of that but some of what I've read may change my mind a bit. Grifter especially looks good and I even heard Superboy exceeds expectations.

I just keep thinking: Men of War, Static Shock, OMAC and Batwing all blew you away! Who knows what gems lurk among this pack?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

True, Cobie! Plus I was told tonight by someone on FB whose opinions ususally are close to mine that this week's books ROCK for the most part.

So now I'm gonna start reading them [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well I have read 8 of the books so far...

By far the one that has interested me the most has been FRANKENSTEIN AGENT OF SHADE. I know, I'm as surprised as you are.

Essentially it's a new CREATURE COMMANDOS. Lots of tech-talk while we learn about SHADE's new HQ and then we have a major slugfest, and then a cliffhanger ending that knocked my socks off, insuring I'll be around for # 2.

Also reeling me in so far for number 2 issues:

GREEN LANTERN and DEMON KNIGHTS.

In DK, is Shining Knight a woman or a very VERY feminine man? I honestly wasn't sure. Mordru being the villain is enough to keep me around for at least a few issues, but I'm also intrigued by Etrigan's romance with Xanadu.

GL as Sinestro has hooked me for the first arc, unless the whole thing just goes tits up before it ends.

LOSING me for the # 2 issues:

BATWING... It was a fine comic, but I'm just not so interested in Bat-stuff. Also, it was a smidge too bloody for my taste.

GRIFTER... he's handsome and all, but I'm just not vested in this character.

RED LANTERNS... they *almost* had me with the Cat-Lantern... that was pretty cool... and Milligan is writng... but again, I'm just not vested and cuts must be made. And, uh... again with the bloody, even if this time it was grody aliens who deserved it (yes I'm bringing "grody" back)!

DEATHSTROKE... Good art, story fine for what it was... but I just don't like the title character, so this is an easy cut.

BATMAN AND ROBIN... that Damian kid is BEYOND annoying. Easy cut.

SO, thus far I am NOT as impressed with week 2... but am still glad I'm trying everything otherwise I probably would have missed FRANKENSTEIN...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read 3 more last night...

BATWOMAN was beautiful... I'm onboard!

RESURRECTION MAN... with the artwork that reminded me so much of Butch Guice, this was like it hadn't even been 10-plus years since the first series. I like Mitch, I'm onboard here too.

MISTER TERRIFIC... Not as into this one. This character belongs on Earth-2 with the JSA (and maybe this book is set there for all we know, for now)... this is a cut for me; maybe I'll check back in later if reviews for future issues are good...

--------------------

Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Risky Barton, boy adventurer:

In DK, is Shining Knight a woman or a very VERY feminine man?

Shining Knight is definitely a woman (more a teenaged girl actually), masquerading as a male knight. She was my favourite character from Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers mega-series.

Basically, Ystina is from the original Camelot, tens of thousands of years in the past. Camelot has since "repeated" itself throughout the ages, almost as an echo of the original.

Ystina's Camleot was destroyed by the Sheeda, a time-traveling race of "history parasites" who attack and gobble up dying cultures, leaving little or no trace. In pursuit of their Queen, Ystina was thrown through time, ending up, last we saw, in modern times.

Not sure how she got to the Dark Ages, but I'm just happy she's back in comics again.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Though I *LOVED* the Seven Soldiers series, Ystina was definitely my least favourite of the characters it gave us. To me, she just seemed a weird retcon to replace Sir Justin as the Shining Knight.

I never realised her Camelot was meant to have occurred centuries before his though. I totally mustn't have been reading closely enough at that point.

It's a cool idea though and makes me like her a bit more. My problem though, is that even if her Camelot was meant to have occurred before his, for all intents and purposes her existence just serves to push Justin off the DC map. Demon Knights seems like the perfect place to see him get some attention, but instead it sounds like Ystina is the star.

As a Sir Justin fan that saddens me.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
One of the first DCnU comics I read this week is Grifter #1, which I was actually excited about. Now, I don’t know anything at all about Grifter, WildCATs and really the Wildstorm universe in general. I have no prior experience with them, and have always just assumed Grifter was the Gambit / Wolverine mash-up character Jim Lee inserted into his premiere franchise. However, what this series has is an excellent pedigree from a creative standpoint: its got Nathan Edmondson, who blew me away with his awesome creator-owned miniseries Who is Jake Ellis?. And its also got CAFU, the hugely talented artist of the first arc of Thunder Agents, which quickly put him on my top artists in comics list.

So, with that in mind I came in with an open mind and by issue’s end I was suitably impressed. After one issue, Grifter has differentiated itself from the rest of DC’s line so far by being equal parts weird and mysterious, with a tightly written first issue leaving me curious about what will happen next. Of all the #1’s so far, this one had the best ‘Lost’ vibe that the aforementioned Who is Jake Ellis? and the awesome Morning Glories do so well. You get larger hints about what is going on, but its all contained in a very realistic and down to Earth level.

Grifter himself seems pretty interesting to me, and I like the con man element of the character (which I’ve read was not a part of his personality pre-DCnU). But you get a solid starting point of who he is while leaving a great deal of mystery to his back story. Plus he’s got that cool mask thingy. [Big Grin]

One sequence I really enjoyed was the plane sequence. Being a person that flies for business quite a lot, I can appreciate the eeriness of seeing someone flip the f*ck out on a plane like that. It would be beyond panic-inducing, and so that worked for me—probably a scarier sequence than tons of other limb-cutting and blood-splattering pages I’ve seen from dozens of other comics in recent weeks.

In addition to Edmondson’s tight script and dialogue was the beautiful art by CAFU who did not let me down. It’s a very exciting, clean style that makes it obvious this guy will eventually be drawing JLA or Avengers or something.

Cobie Comparison: Did I enjoy it more than Justice League #1? Big time! While not my absolute favorite, this is already up there among my the better comics of the DCnU catalogue.

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.