Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
I loved BATWOMAN, but I knew I would.
I loved DEMON KNIGHTS, but I didn't think I would.
I hated DEATHSTROKE, but I knew I would.
I hated BATMAN & ROBIN, but I didn't think I would.
Now on to the rest.

From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Red Lanterns was a book I didn't know what to expect from. After having read it, I still don't. Peter Milligan is one of my favourite writers but other than the "Rage of the Red Lanterns" one-shot, I knew nothing about the characters here.

It was an uneven book, with the violent introduction giving way to the meditative musings of the protagonist, Atrocious. I knew from interviews, that Milligan was going to explore the nature of Rage as a driving force, but I felt instead what we got was some ennui and existential angst. It made an interesting contrast that with the seemingly mindless vessels of anger who are about to rebel against him, but I want a more in depth look at what makes these guys tick.

I think the potential is there to make this series interesting, but it needs something to push it over the edge.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE - I was a little disappointed in this one, probably because my expectations were so high. The Seven Soldiers introduction to this character was amazing, and the Flashpoint mini was a good little story, but this didn't grab me. Part of it was the humorous aspects I think. Part of the charm of previous outing with Frankenstein, was that he stoically plowed through these amazingly absurd and outlandish scenarios, but he centred it all. Here he's more like a straight man to all the wackiness going on around him. Lemire seems to be too caught up in making crazy ideas to give Frank his due. I'm all for having the Commandos backing him up, but I was expecting Frankenstein to be more of an anchor than a reactive participant. That said, the book wasn't "bad" per se, just unexpected.

I was also not a huge fan of the art.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
I've posted comments on Justice League 1 and Legion Lost 1 in the topics devoted to those books. I also bought:

Justice League International 1: I liked the art; the series premise has interesting possibilities; the story was good: not great, but at least it felt like a full issue's worth of story.

Action Comics 1: I was far less impressed by the art than some of the previous posters who commented on this book. I enjoyed the story overall, but it did feel like it had a few holes in it (how did Clark know the train was in danger?!). And, I don't think they ever actually mentioned that the story was set in the past.

Mister Terrific 1: The story was decent, but I thought the art was weak. The issue included an origin recap/revamp (Michael Holt is still a widower; no Spectre; we don't find out if there was still a previous Mr. Terrific in the DCnU) and also included Karen Starr as a supporting character (without mentioning Power Girl). I ordered this after reading an online interview with the writer that intruiged me (particularly when he talked about writing Mr. Terrific as a hero who uses his intellect to defeat his foes), but I'm afraid the artwork is going to sink this book before the writer really has a chance to make an impression on the readership.

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Demon Knights was a lot of fun. I liked the D&D homage aspect (everyone meets at an Inn), and I liked having Vandal Savage shown in a different light (surely being alive for all that time he wasn't always in world conquering mode, he must have had periods of downtime, where he tried different things).

As I mentioned earlier, I love the new Shining Knight and look forward to seeing more.

I did have a few quibbles though.

We just had an excellent telling of Madame Xanadu's origins (and also Etrigan's) in her own series, and I don't see the need to wipe it all out for this one, given that Cornell could have easily fit it all in without difficulty. I'm also am not a fan of "plain talking" Xanadu. Having her exchange Whedoneque banter with Blood is not only anachronistic, it doesn't suit her character.

That said, I'm interested in the new characters, I like the villains, and I really want to see more.

Best pick of an anemic week for me.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Uggh, this week is a bit too Bat-heavy for my tastes... Batman... Nightwing... Catwoman... fortunately, Birds of Prey and Red Hood & the Outlaws will feature some non-Bat characters.

Blue Beetle and Captain Atom don't excite me much (though I like them both as members of teams). Green Lantern Corps? Maybe in, like, 1990, but now? No excitement for me.

I'm interested to see how Supergirl, Wonder Woman and Deadman fare.

By far, LSH is the most interesting title for me this week at cover-glance...

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

CAPTAIN ATOM # 1

Apparently Captain Atom now has Firestorm's powers. Feh... a serviceable story and okay art but I was just not into it and I don't care for the re-design of Captain Atom.

Even with meltdowns, mutant rats and volcano eruptions, I found myself bored.

I shan't be getting # 2. Cut!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Tot Rocket:
CAPTAIN ATOM # 1

Apparently Captain Atom now has Firestorm's powers. Feh... a serviceable story and okay art but I was just not into it and I don't care for the re-design of Captain Atom.

Even with meltdowns, mutant rats and volcano eruptions, I found myself bored.

I shan't be getting # 2. Cut!

Ditto. This is the only new DC comic I got this week.

In addition to what the Super Tot says ... Capt. Atom looks a lot like Dr. Manhattan and with his power upgrade seems poised to more than look like Dr. Manhattan.

I was intrigued but what I really found annoying about his new found and detrimental (to himself) abilities is the plot that (weakly) forced him to use his new unstable powers to solve the problem at the end of the issue.

Click Here For A Spoilersaying that he couldn't just absorb the volcano in New York's energy .. he needed to neutralize it ... and he chooses to do so by using his newfound transmutation abilities. But wouldn't you rather use the ability you know ... even if only partially sufficient ... instead of the transmutation powers you just developed a few pages earlier and were told they might kill you? ... How would his new transmutation powers that he is untrained in and dosn't know the extent of ... be up to a task that his tried, true, and well practiced energy absorption powers aren't up to? He had no idea if they were ... he only tansmuted a truck size object earlier by accident ... what would make Nate Adams think he could transmute a volcano's furnace ??

thumbs down.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

GASP! Peebs, you didn't get LSH # 1? Space-heresy!

--------------------

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Indeed, I did not, I hope I don't get kicked out of here. [Smile]
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I was more impressed with the books I got this week than last week's.

I liked Red Hood & the Outlaws. I like the teaming of Roy & Jason. And it looks like there is something going on beyond just a shoot 'em up. That said the one thing I really hated about the book was how Starfire Click Here For A Spoiler now has some sort of amnesia regarding people. Cripes, it was a reboot and you could have had it that either Starfire never had a relationship with Dick or Jason never tried to kill Dick, or both. It seems like they made this part of her solely to explain why she would have hooked up (sexually and non-sexually) with Jason. But the amnesia thing just makes Starfire into a dumb blonde. Seeing how humans are supposed to be forgettable to her, how is she going to remember the villains that she has fought? Hopefully they will drop this aspect of her.

And supposedly Starfire wasin the Teen Titans, yet the guy in Chicago just now realizes that there is a Tameranian on Earth????

Despite the above, I think I will give this one a go.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
DC Universe Presents: Deadman #1

A very strong first issue. It seems like too many of the new number ones are missing the opportunity to give the reader the background information needed to get their bearings with the title characters. That's not the case here. Deadman gets a very clear origin story. It's close enough to the original to satisfy longtime fans, like me, but has enough new twists to make things interesting. It also appears that the stories are going to focus as much on the people that he possesses, as on Boston Brand himself. That's an approach that is full of storytelling possibilities.

[ September 22, 2011, 08:44 AM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

BLUE BEETLE # 1

*yawn* I like Jamie as a Teen Titan and even in the JLI, but I simply have no interest in his solo adventures. Plus Bedard's R.E.B.E.L.S. never clicked with me (and I gave it 15 issues to do so).

Not even the Brotherhood of Evil can get me to buy # 2. Cut!

BATMAN # 1

Oh look, there's that bratty kid again. And also Dick and Tim, so that's a little better. And cool, Batman now has the same distorter tech as the Legion. Is there nothing that rich playboy can't do?

Art by the guy who drew Spawn for like, 10 years... his style is pleasing though less flashy (or McFarlane-esque) than I remember.

But I think I can only stomach one Batman book a month and I liked the gory mystery in Detective better. Cut!

GREEN LANTERN CORPS # 1

This actually surprised me; I was *almost* into it... I really liked the art a lot but I'm not sure it was wise to start the book off with a Green Lantern killing serial murderer. Guy was fun here, not annoying fun but FUN fun, and looked very handsome.

I'm on the fence for # 2; at this point I could fall either way... which is probably a sign I should just cut it.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

NIGHTWING # 1

Eddy Barrows draws a super-cute Dick, and I got an LOL moment from the circus clown's line about being in Gotham... funny! Still, I'm on the fence here... how long will a NIGHTWING title keep me entertained? And, gawd the CROSSOVERS that are sure to be coming... I just don't know.

I'm on the fence for # 2, leaning toward getting it.

CATWOMAN # 1

HOLY FREAKING CRAP. THAT ENDING SEQUENCE WAS ***HAWT***.

You better believe I'm getting # 2. DAY-um!!!! I actually can't believe this saw print!!!

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
That's enough to get me to buy it! [Big Grin]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.