Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll try and post longer reviews ASAP, but, for now, here are the quick hits of what I sampled in Wave 1 of DC's New 52

DETECTIVE COMICS (A):
Just a really solid book all the way around, from the moody, evocative art to the compelling take on this new, less clownish Joker. I’m not quite sure what’s up with Compu-Alfred, but Batman really sounded right – driven, determined, but not a dick. I had only planned on getting #1 because, after all, it is Detective Comics #1, but after that shocker of a last page, on top of the overall quality of this book, I’m all in.

ACTION COMICS #1 (A-)
I really loved the artwork in this issue, which was not only a joy to look at, but also serviced the story particularly well, IMHO. I’m not quite sure what to think of the meterosexual fop that is the DCnU Lex Luthor, but I got a huge thrill from the crusading champion of the oppressed that is, or maybe more correctly, was, the new Superman. I liked the additional Golden Age nods, such as editor Taylor and mighty leaps, and almost hope Action will stick to the early years of the DCnU for longer than an initial story arc. I expect to stick with this title for a while.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 (B)
My biggest problem with this book was the read time (7.5 minutes), which seems kind of a gyp at $4 for an issue, and the usual glacial pacing of Johns, which almost guarantees I’ll have shelled out $30 or more if and when we get to the end of this story. A lot of things in this issue were oversold, such as Vic’s unfeeling dad and GL’s cocksure attitude, leaving little room from much to happen outside of chasing Darkseid’s minion to no effect. Lee's art was nice though, even if I tend to prefer a cleaner, less cross-hatched style. I'll be in through the initial arc, at least.

MEN OF WAR #1 (B-)
I’m probably giving this book a higher grade than I should, just because I *wanted* to like it so much. The scripts were a little heavy on action-movie clichés in the first story, and explanatory exposition in the second (these guys who trained and toured together are just now explaining their nicknames to each other??). Still, the art was nice, particularly in the second story, although a tad confusing story-wise, in both. But, at $4 a pop, I’ll need a serious jump in quality to stick it out much past issue #3.

GREEN ARROW #1 (C+)
It looks like the DCnU Ollie is something much closer to his Van Dyke-less, pre-bankruptcy self, probably inspired, at least in part, by the character’s depiction on Smallville. This given his apparent origin and Watchtower-esque back office support. Personally, I'd have made the new GA a Native American eco-warrior, thus a real "Green" Arrow. The Jurgens/Perez combo was much more inspired than anything either artist has put out individually in recent years, IMHO. I like how Ollie was depicted as a genuine hero, but both the villains and the supporting cast fell flat for me, as if everyone came straight from central casting. I’ll try issue #2, but may drop the book after that.

O.M.A.C. #1 (C)
Although only a C, this book ended up being a LOT better than I expected it to be. Some of the dialogue form the villain was on the clunky side, but I got a huge kick out of Giffin’s Kirby-esque art and, particularly, his character designs. My biggest problem, however, is the relative paucity of plot. Really, this issue should have been compressed into the first eight pages of a longer story. I read this book in about seven minutes, and will dump it soon if I don’t start to get some value-for-money.

BATGIRL #1 (C-)
I did not love this book, and probably will not bother with #2. The artwork had nice drawings here and there, but the storytelling got confusing in the action scenes. Worse, so much just didn’t make sense. A bat-a-rang stab to the hand is enough to hospitalize a dude? Babs is so broke she needs an annoying 2-D roommate, but can still afford that super-cycle? How long will she get away with storing it in her van where, apparently, nobody can see it behind her old wheelchair-lift? Plus, while I don’t mind Babs being up on her feat, I would have preferred some explanation beyond, “Miracles do happen, Yay!”

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Books I sampled in Week 2 were BATWOMAN (A-), FRANKENSTEIN, AGENT OF S.H.A.D.E. (A), GREEN LANTERN (C+), LEGION LOST (C), MR. TERRIFIC (C) and, SUPERBOY (B-)
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Yes! LW needs more reviews from Pofo!

Duke, you always bring some insight I hadn't considered to your reviews so please keep 'em coming (and do those more detailed ones you mentioned!).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Pofo's back??? AWSEOMETITSAUCE!!!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Risky Barton, boy adventurer:
Pofo's back??? AWSEOMETITSAUCE!!!!

YES! Despite the misspelling, Lash used my mash-up of his trademark exclamations! :swoon:

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
And, uh, another YES for Pofo! [Embarrassed]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Another surprise for me this week is how much I enjoyed Demon Knights #1. It wasn't a perfect comic by far, but there was enough there to make me glad I bought it and want to get #2.

I love Madame Xanadu, love Etrigan and really enjoyed the S7 Shining Knight, ^So seeing them together is enjoyable. I'm interested in the newcomers too. My only worry is I don't know how much I'll like Vandal Savage in this role. 

An element I really like is the sense of history Paul Cornell is building. It took me a minute to realize the prologue / fall of Camelot *was* in the proper time period and the 'modern era' was the very ambiguous term 'Dark Ages'. Cornel is also working to establish Stormwatch's origin here, as well as Mordu's history.

The writing itself had both high and low points. It felt very choppy and rushed; yet it certainly had a lot of forward moving every which was fun. Cornell was trying to get most of the team in #1 (unlike JL which is one of the biggest complaints there) but in doing so it felt a little info-dump-ish.

Not perfect, but I liked it.

Cobie Comparison: did I like more than JL #1? about the same.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SharkLad
Wanderer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SharkLad   Author's Homepage   Email SharkLad         Edit/Delete Post     
Without getting too in depth, but introducing my own new rating system...

Batwoman #1 - the art is simply beautiful; love Bette Kane getting some 'screen time' - 3 fins up

Superboy #1 - intriguing, very intriguing; not thrilled about a new origin for Superboy, but I like what they've got going on so far - 3 fins up

Batman & Robin #1 - here they go making Damien all dislikable again - 2 1/2 fins up

Legion Lost #1 - what can I say, I loved it, flaws and all... and there were quite a few flaws... 3 fins up

Deathstroke #1 - not worth the paper it was printed on; utter garbage - 0 fins up

Grifter #1 - didn't love it, didn't hate it; pretty art but that's about it - 1 fin up

Frankenstein #1 - a nice little surprise; kinda fun and funny; worth a second look - 2 1/2 fins up

Demon Knights #1 - I defer to the most legendary Cobalt Kid's review above; again, a nice little surprise; definitely worth another look - 2 1/2 fins up

Resurrection Man #1 - can't remember what it was about; pass - 1 fin up

Red Lanterns #1 - seems awfully unnecessary - 1/2 fin up

Green Lantern #1 - surprised how dull I found this; though I'm not a GL fan, I expected something of interest; this was not the case - 1/2 fin up

Suicide Squad #1 - I wanted to like this, I really did, but the art did nothing for me and the story was kinda revolting at best; did love King Shark though ("MEAT! MEAT! MEAT!"); may get issue #2 just to see if it picks up - 1 fin up

Mister Terrific #1 - not so terrific it turns out; art was hit or miss; story kinda bland - 1/2 fin up

[ September 17, 2011, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: SharkLad ]

--------------------
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

From: The waters off eastern Long Island | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Your above mention of Deathstroke #1 makes me glad I didn't get it. So far I've yet to see a positive review of it on LW.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DCnU WEEK TWO IN REVIEW

Definitely NOT as strong for me as week 1!

BIGGEST SURPRISE

Frankenstein Agent of S.H.A.D.E. and BATWOMAN

KEEPING ME AROUND FOR # 2

I'll be revisiting DEMON KNIGHTS, RESURRECTION MAN, LEGION LOST, GREEN LANTERN, SUPERBOY, and SUICIDE SQUAD next month.

DROPPING THE AXE

it's farewell to BAT-WING, GRIFTER, BATMAN & ROBIN, RED LANTERNS, DEATHSTROKE, MISTER TERRIFIC

So this week 5 titles did not make my cut for # 2 (BATWING being a holdover from last week).

Week one only has two definite non-returnees for # 2 for me: MEN OF WAR and BATWING and one possible non-returnee in GREEN ARROW.

Still, that's quite a few titles DC has roped me into so far.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting week in reviews, everyone! Along Lash's lines, I want to rattle off what I'm keeping ... so far.

WEEK 1 KEEPS
Action Comics, Animal Man, Batgirl, Batwing, Detective Comics, Hawk & Dove (iffy), JLI, Stormwatch, Swamp Thing

WEEK 2 KEEPS
Demon Knights, Green Lantern, Grifter, Legion Lost, Mr. Terrific, Red Lanterns, Resurrection Man, Superboy, and Suicide Squad

Nine each week! Though I must say I can see myself dropping more titles from week 2 in the months to come than week 1, depending on how the stories go.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I like a solid dose of 'the weird' in my comics sometimes. And no one does it better than Grant Morrison; case in point: his ressurection of DC's Frankenstein franchise during Seven Soldiers, which was simply brilliant. And now Jeff Lemire, who also excels in the weird, is recapturing that brilliance with Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE.

Lemire just goes for it in #1, embracing the off the wall nature of Morrison's revamp. Each page makes things weirder and weirder and at the same time more and more fun. Artist Alberto Ponticelli seems well-suited to this with a gritty, working man's style of art that keeps it anchored as possible.

This issue was packed with goodies! You not only get the awesomeness of Frank, you get SHADE; Father Time in the body of a prepubescint girl; Ray Palmer doing his scientist thing; the Bride of Frankenstein; and the Creature Commandoes! The latter includes an awesome Living Mummy whose story already looks like it will be awesome.

I'm especially happy to see Ray Palmer in action here. Clearly, his role as the first Atom is in continuity. If Ryan Choi is the Atom as rumored, I'm glad Ray has a home, and under the watch of Jeff Lemire to boot (who did a great job on the Atom back-ups in Adventure).

Cobie comparison: did I enjoy more than JL #1? YES! honestly, how can you *not* like this issue? It was pure awesometitsauce.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
It was pure awesometitsauce.

YES! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Egad! Too many I want to keep. Must go through the list again, since there's another two weeks yet worth of books. Overall, the books are better than I expected. My high hopes for a decent Aquaman book may be realized after all.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
After reading reviews here I went back and picked up two books from Week One -- ANIMAL MAN and STATIC SHOCK. Scores for the Number Ones I've read so far:

ACTION (A)
BATWING (A-)
ANIMAL MAN (B+)
JUSTICE LEAGUE (B)
LEGION LOST (B)
SWAMP THING (B)
STATIC SHOCK (B-)
MISTER TERRIFIC (C)
STORMWATCH (C)
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL (C-)

From the Week Two books I didn't get, I'll take another glance at BATWOMAN, DEMON KNIGHTS, FRANKENSTEIN, and RESURRECTION MAN. None of them are books I would usually consider, but reviews have caught my interest.

For Week Three I've pre-ordered only two--CAPTAIN ATOM and LEGION--but RED HOOD has me curious.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.