Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 15)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I actually enjoyed the recent Challengers of the Unknown opener in DC Comics Presents; once again I'm surprised that something by Dan Didio has impressed me though it's become clear now he can be a great supplemental partner to an artist that also is co-plotter / director.

Most of all, I liked the mysterious tone and eerie sensibility to the story. The 'what the hell is going on?' feeling worked well and kept me interested throughout. The sudden flash to and from Nanda Parbat was abrupt and heightened this.

I also liked the large cast and was glad to see most of them get a lot of moments. The way Ace was so mysteriously and ambiguously handled (Ace being my favorite Chall) made me dying to know where they are going with him since it's unlikely he's real dead. There is potential there for an ongoing mystery and pay-off--if they can follow up right.

Jerry Ordway is not only a great artist, he's a fantastic story-teller. He excels in how the panels flow from one to the next. A variety of inlets assisted and the coloring was great. But the prettiest part of the issue was that fantastic cover.

I'm a huge Challs fan as when I was a kid my uncle would read me the early Kirby Challs issues. When Cooke did them so well in New Frontier (and Waid to a lesser extant in Brave and Bold), it reminded me how badly I'd like a Challs series. While ideally a Cooke series in the thematic style of NF is the best option, I do appreciate DC trying to find a way to make the concept fresh and modern by injecting some Lost-ish sensibility.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally read some comics!!

Still enjoying the oddness of FRANKENSTEIN AGENT OF SHADE. The crossover with OMAC was fun (I still love OMAC too). I've caught up with both of those now!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Just read BATWOMAN 3-6. As my primary draw to this was Bette Kane/Flamebird, I am now dropping this book.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Now that we're six months into the DCNu, it's kind of amazing to look back at my numbers of what books I'm still reading. The attrition is pretty high, though I was expecting that to gradually be the case. After issue #1, I was still reading 46 of the new 52 titles. Now after issue #6, I'm down to 16 titles ...and dropping.

Loving
Batwing, Batwoman, and Teen Titans

Keeping
Aquaman, Catwoman, Green Lantern, Justice League, Legion Lost, Legion of Super-Heroes, Red Hood and the Outlaws, Voodoo, and Wonder Woman

Borderline
Action Comics, Animal Man, Green Lantern: New Guardians, and Supergirl

Of the five titles I was 'loving' after issue #1, I'm only still reading three with one on the fence. Swamp Thing suffered simply from my lack of exposure to the character. I enjoyed the first issue but between months my interest (and recollection of the previous issue) waned. Superman did a steep drop off for me with issue #3. It was as if it had a guest writer, which it didn't. While I love the Legion, the adult Legion story in Action Comics actually lost me a bit on the title.

I'm not surprised only four of the 13 titles I was originally 'on the line' about remain. What surprises me is that one of them I'm now loving - Teen Titans. Another, Wonder Woman, I started loving after issue #2 but then last issue I began to fell off the excitement wagon. It's safely in my 'keep' pile for now.

Some titles held out for a good while, but I found them to simply be 'decent reads' that I'd forget about the day after and felt no thrill when the next issue was released. Several titles I'm surprised I could let go this quick, especially with brand loyalty (GLC, Flash) and favorite creators (Batgirl + Gail). If it's not exciting you consistently though, what's the point? There's always the trades to visit later for a second chance - I think a few of those titles will benefit from that reading format.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm also surprisingly enjoying Teen Titans!

You're right Future on the unfortunate ongoing feeling that a few more series will get the axe. Each month I find myself with one or more series that feels like a chore to read--which means it's time to cut it. This month it's Voodoo for me. Possibly Grifter and GLC soon.

With so many exciting things coming in 2012, especially from Image, I'm not giving DC or Marvel a free pass on anything anymore. If it doesnt excite me, I gotta make room for one I do enjoy.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Still just Legion of Super-Heroes, Legion Lost, Legion Secret Origins and Teen Titans. I'll probably drop Teen Titans after the culling crossover, since it's beginning to wear thin for me.

I recently picked up the Stormwatch run 1-5 just because it had good word of mouth, but it didn't float my boat. I played a superhero game ages ago that had 'high concept' powers like 'prince of lies' or 'controls media,' and I didn't really like that level of pretension then, and certainly don't find it all that innovative now, decades after it was a new thing. Ever since Alan Moore took Swamp Thing 'high concept,' I feel like everyone and their dog has been attempting to do the same to old characters and new, with breath-taking lack of success, grabbing on to catch-phrases like 'Last Son of Krypton' and rewriting the character and their supporting cast to make the catch-phrases *literal* truths, as the marketing phrases and buzz-words become more important than the character themselves.

It eventually becomes so forced and desperate that some nimrod attempts to convince us that Garth, Imra and Rokk are embodiments of 'truth, justice and the American way.'

TL;DR I blame Alan Moore. He wrote something high concept and it worked. Now 10,000 writers who have no damn idea what he did or how he did it are trying to use some sort of formula to do that same sort of thing to everything else they can get their hands on.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I've caught up with a few more books!

ANIMAL MAN-- I'm dropping it. The art that interested me so much the first couple of issues now just looks ugly to me. And I am not caring for the family being split as it is, with have-powers and have-not powers.

SWAMP THING-- Still into it! I'm as surprised as anyone!

STORMWATCH-- The end of # 5 took me by surprise!! So much so that I waited to read # 6! # 6 will decide wether or not I keep it-- I rather enjoyed the "high concept" superpowers, and if all of those players have been killed, this will just be another take on the JLA. That said, I really enjoyed 1-5!

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ If it matters any, Animal Man is changing artists within the next few issues.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Eh. I'm just not that into it. Gave it a fair enough chance with 5 issues. It's axe-swinging time at Lash's place... time to get the pull bag back down to a reasonable level now that the new has totally worn off the 52 relaunch.

Also cut all Green Lantern books, and All-Star Western (mainly due to price there, as I recall issues 1-2 were pretty good).

JLA may be another cut due to price-- $4 turns me OFF.

ACTION is definitely cut after I buy the Legion issues, which still sit in my pull bag.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I've read a couple of very troubling articles on Bleeding Cool about the seventh issues of some DCnU books, all of which has me wondering yet again just what audience DC is courting. Warning: both articles have major SPOILERS!!

Justice League 7

Batman 7, Wonder Woman 7

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
>sigh<

Glad I am only into the Legion and darker corner of the new DC...at least the books that are supposed to be darker.

With Omac ending, that really leaves Flash as my only mainstream DCnU book. Everything else is on the fringes of Vertigo country.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm down from 16 titles after #6 of the DCNu to 12 titles, and the #7s aren't even fully out yet! It was all just too much unless I cared about it. Ended up dropping Justice League, New Guardians, Animal Man, and Action Comics.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So as time goes on, I’m feeling less and less enthusiastic about the DCnU. I’m not sure what it is, but I’m just not feeling it. So many of these series are kind of limping along month to month already. Plus the over abundance of shocking gore in the non-dark titles is alarming and takes me right out of the story (I’m looking at you Detective Comics). I haven’t read the spoilers on WW #7 and Batman #7 yet, but I don’t like the trepidation others are expressing because those are actually two of my favorite comics.

At this point, I’m going to change my DCnU list to Future’s above format.

Loving
Flash
All-Star Western
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman
Catwoman
Nightwing
Teen Titans
Superboy
Batman

Decent
Action Comics
Batwoman
Animal Man
Batwing
Birds of Prey
Green Lantern
New Guardians
Aquaman
Stormwatch
Legion Lost

Borderline
DC Comics Presents
Superman
Justice League
Justice League International
Justice League Dark
Legion of Super Heroes
Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE
Demon Knights
Thunder Agents
Fury of Firestorm
Green Arrow

On some series, the early change in creative teams did the series no favors. Green Arrow has been a mess, but I’m hopeful Nocenti’s early issues will quickly change that. Stormwatch having a two-part filler has been pretty ‘meh’, with Jenkins plot not doing it for me.

Considering I started with all the DC series, I’ve culled the list down pretty good. That won’t stop anytime soon. There are getting to be less and less DC series that excite me.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

BTW, as a moderator, I'm considering deheadlining this thread now that several months have passed since the DCnU relaunch, to make it stand on its own (living and dying on interest by the community).

What do you guys think? Let me know. Silence is acquiescence.

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
BTW, as a moderator, I'm considering deheadlining this thread now that several months have passed since the DCnU relaunch, to make it stand on its own (living and dying on interest by the community).

What do you guys think? Let me know. Silence is acquiescence.

But, if silence is acquiesance, does that mean that replying is dissent?

Anywho, yeah, the DCnU launch is more than six months out, so it's probably time to toss this thread into the cold, Shark Lad-infested waters, and see if it can swim.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.