Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 17)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
*glares at Legion Tracker & Dev* Oh well, I guess this is what I get after years of outrageous behaviour! [Smile]

Cramey, I too have thoroughly enjoyed STORMWATCH 1-6. Here's hoping 7 maintains that... I'll read it this evening!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anita Cocktail
*hic*

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Anita Cocktail   Author's Homepage   Email Anita Cocktail         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I'm loving Stormwatch. Issue #7 almost broke my heart with its portrayal of the terribly ill city Pripyat tended by Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Hawksmoor has always fascinated me as a concept, but this is the first time I've really enjoyed how he's being written.

I agree 100%!
That scene was simply wonderful.

From: Gorilla Nebula Pub | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Some fun and unexpected guest appearances in last week's DC books.

Click Here For A SpoilerBatgirl in Justice League Dark

Click Here For A SpoilerBatman in I, Vampire

Click Here For A SpoilerStatic Shock in the Savage Hawkman

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I was fully prepared to hate SUICIDE SQUAD 3-6 but have instead kept it on my pull. I'm interested ENOUGH. We'll see how issue 7 goes.

but there IS one DCnU book I am VERY MUCH LIKING... AQUAMAN. Thoroughly enjoyed 3-6!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked the artwork in the new JL Dark.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Red Hood and the Outlaws is one of my favourite DC books now. What a surprise! I wasn't reading Batman when Jason was part of the story, so the character is essentially new to me (although I knew he was a Robin with a major grudge against Bats).

The issues have a lot of action, yet manage to devote time to each of the three characters. There are several plots going on, but you don't get the sense that anything's dropped or slighted; if a secondary character or villain is out of the story for a few issues, there's a logical reason, and they seem to reappear at the right moment.

The villains are unusual, freaky or subtle. Friends turn out to be enemies; some enemies may become friends.

The dynamic between Jason, Roy and Kory is charming. These people really care for one another, while nobody else does (not exactly, but they all have been cut off, rejected or abandoned by those from their past lives). Think buddy film with girl - Butch Cassidy comes to mind - although the girl in this one is a lot more than decoration and the action hi-octane.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
That has to be nicest thing anyone's said about that book.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Anita Cocktail:
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I'm loving Stormwatch. Issue #7 almost broke my heart with its portrayal of the terribly ill city Pripyat tended by Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Hawksmoor has always fascinated me as a concept, but this is the first time I've really enjoyed how he's being written.

I agree 100%!
That scene was simply wonderful.

Stormwatch is turning into a winning dark horse. Its characters are complex, its storyline well thought out, and it is not spoon-fed to the reader. I commend a creative team that assumes its readers can walk and chew gum at the same time. Of course, I am anxiously awaiting more about who this J'onn J'onzz is.
Of all the DCnU, this title seems to be the best chance to see a new version of L.E.G.I.O.N., however unlikely.

[Stealth]

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I'm afriad I dropped RED HOOD after # 3. I *do* think STORMWATCH is great fun though!

Let' see, what did I read last night-- oh yeah, SUPERMAN 4-6. I know this book isn't as well-liked as ACTION by I prefer it TO Action!

I like that there's a TON of panels and words and it takes a bit to get through an issue. It's an older-skool method and I approve. Plus I'm looking forward to the Giff's run. My sources deep in the house of Giff tell me that he REALLY gets to cut lose with Superman starting in issue 11!

Also caught up with BATGIRL through issue 6 and I just like it. Gail always creates unique and interesting villains, Mirror and Gretel were no exception. Plus-- BABS' MAMA?!?!?!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Just finished the DEADMAN arc in DCCP, and found it very enjoyable overall. No way it would have any long life outside of being shunted to VERTIGO though; sales of DCCP went straight down and a CHALLENGERS arc isn't likely to raise them.

I'm looking forward to the COTU arc though and will begin it shortly. I *so* hope it is one of the GOOD Challs arcs... there hasn't really been a good one in a LONG while.

I do think the DCU *needs* a book like DCCP though. I hope it lasts... even though I fully intend to skip the entire Vandal Savage arc coming up after the CHALLS.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
So, the DCnU is still kind of bumming me out and I think its because I'm buying too many of their titles. The next wave of cancellations may be coming soon, and on the bubble are Batwoman, Batwing, Frankenstein, GLC & New Guardians, and all three Justice League titles.

Like Lash, I like that DCCP exists, but I can't commit to every story. Deadman rocked, the Challs has been surprisingly good, but I have no interest in the Vandal Savage's daughter stuff.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm buying more books than I did before, so I guess I can't decry DcNu too much (though I finally dropped Batman and Justice League). I've just been so slammed at work and life I haven't had much time for reviews here. Hopefully I'll be able to catch up at some point.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

After having finally culled my pull-list down to more manageable levels, I am feeling less "oppressed" kinda, and more excited about reading them now. I made the official cut to Superboy, Supergirl, Resurrection Man, Wonder Woman, Voodoo, Batwoman, Green Arrow and maybe a couple more today. MANY books unbought from my pull, but it was just a must in order for me to be able to get back to enjoying comics...

[ April 04, 2012, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH's back ]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
That's what I'm feeling. "Oppressed" is the right word. There's a lot of comics by DC that aren't 'bad', but they're just not my cup of tea. And honestly, who the hell would want to buy 52 comics from the same company. Or even 40? 30? Each week, as I've trimmed back more and more Marvels and DC's, and then spent the money on Image, Dark Horse, Vertigo, etc., I've gotten more and more excited about comic books in general.

So much so, I even now follow the Image Comics twitter feed! (And mad props to them, they freely promote all kinds of creator-owned non-Image series too).

[ April 04, 2012, 01:41 PM: Message edited by: Cobalt Kid ]

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Now that it's 8 months in, I will say that I do admire the balls it took for DC to do the whole NEW 52 thing. It proved that a struggling company can make a huge splash and still take over the top 10 comics 8 months later.

It proved Aquaman can outsell X-Men.

So yeah, it's a good thing probably, but it also showed that you can't throw 52 new number 1s out there and KEEP them successful for any length of time... RIPieces, Liefeld's Hawk and Dove.

As a comic fan I was glad to be part of the "experience", but next time: Next time, I can make choices more suitable for me...

[ April 04, 2012, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH's back ]

--------------------

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.