Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
BATWOMAN #4: Boy, is this book beautiful to look at. Not so lovely this month for fans of Flamebird, however. Not without hope, though. The sight of Mr. Bones still leaves me shaking my head and sneering, a little bit.

DEMON KNIGHTS #4: A fine issue, examing the Shining Knight and Winged Victory (a bit). I like this character, but I want to know about Sir Justin, too. There's a last-page event that's pretty surprising, though it was hinted at in solicits. Imagine what an impact it might've had without those pesky, tempting blurbs. The Questing Queen and her roaming castle become more interesting...

FRANKENSTEIN, AGEN OF SHADE #4: All out general comic booky fun. I laughed a couple of times and had to stare a couple of times to figure out what was happening- which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Though, sometimes it is. It's related to whether the artist really knows and 'gets it', I think. I'm annoyed that Ray Palmer is like the ultimate case of 'what one thing doesn't belong', but at least he's a character that's appearing in the new DCU.

MY GREATEST ADVENTURE #3: Lord, is this Robotman powered up, or what? He mentions his old team, without specifically saying 'Doom Patrol', so I suppose the reader can choose to believe in their being around in the new DC or not. I wonder if the three characters on the cover are going to run into each other? What if this was the nucleus of the new Doom Patrol? And is the Maddie that's working for/crushing on Cliff Madame Rouge? Cliff runs into a couple of gorillas, making me wonder about Gorilla City. Is that still around?

THE RAY #1: A little comment about Happy Terrill's long-ago origin as The Ray, and the fact that the newspapars dubbed Lucien with the name goes a long way towards ameliating my initial distaste for the idea of a new Ray. What's here is an enjoyable comic- with a 'meta' sort of approach to an origin issue. Some of my fellow fans will appreciate the wrinkle that this character is *always* naked, but has learned to use light to disguise the fact. This is a guy who should be on a team-- he doesn't seem the 'loner' type.

THE SHADE #3: Why on earth isn't this selling? It's a fine book, artistically lovely and with a good story to tell that covers ground that's fairly untraveled- in either the old DC or the new. I guess that's possibly the reason for fewer readers... confusion about which continuity it takes place in. I'm not immure to that, myself. In this issue, The Shade makes an entertaining trip to Australia, remembering an earlier journey to the same destination. There, he meets a relative. Among others. And fights a humongous lizard-god. Who couldn't enjoy that? Reading about it, that is.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
DC Universe Presents #4:

Far and away, the best comic book I've read so far this month. The dialogue during the roller coaster ride was both entertaining and throught provoking. Deadman's relationship with Rama, his purpose, and role in the DC are being redefined.

[ February 15, 2012, 08:35 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Dangit! I had decided to drop Stormwatch after #2, but somehow each issue kept appearing in my box and I just kept bringing them home. And now...NOW...with issue #5 they go and get me interested. Dangit!

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Frankenstein Agent of SHADE #5 Max Lord and Checkmate contracts SHADE to help take out OMAC and Brother Eye. Frank is sent after OMAC while Father Time lays a trap for Brother eye in SHADENet. Frank and Shade seem to get the upper hand, though I suppose it's shown differently in the OMAC issues. I thought the art really let down what should have been a dynamic issue long brawl. Nothing really advances here, but Frankenstein does get some fun lines.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Demon Knights #5 - the Questing Queen and Mordru attempt to tempt away individual knights, with the obvious one turning on the group (or seeming to anyway, because it could just as obviously be a set up). We get a little more about Exoristos and Horsewoman, but it's mostly just setup for letting lose the giant Triceratops at the end of the issue. Still fun stuff, but I'm ready for the mayhem to start in earnest.
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Edit to delete, being discussed elsewhere!
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
DC Comics Presents: Deadman #4 - this series has been a breakout hit or me since it launched but #4 really took it to the next level. This was an utterly fantastic issue that combined the fantastic story-telling abilities of the creative team with a welcomingly complex and existential topic. As I've said before, this is the best Deadman has been written since his original appearances in the late 1960's; I'm hoping there is a long ongoing Deadman series following the end of this arc by the creative team.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read The Shade #1 and #2. Great reads. So nice to see James Robinson back in his familiar stomping grounds of Opal City.

Cully Hamner on art is always a treat. I actually discovered both of them as a team on the Ultraverse title Firearm.

Looking forward to the rest of this series.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I pulled out my copies of Animal Man 1-6 and Swamp Thing 1-6 but couldn't figure out what order to read them in. AM #5 ends with someone saying "only Swamp Thing can help us now", yet there doesn't seem to be any direct continuation in the ST book. Any idea how the timelines of these two books fit together?

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by the Hermit:
I pulled out my copies of Animal Man 1-6 and Swamp Thing 1-6 but couldn't figure out what order to read them in. AM #5 ends with someone saying "only Swamp Thing can help us now", yet there doesn't seem to be any direct continuation in the ST book. Any idea how the timelines of these two books fit together?

They don't yet. They are still building towards the meeting. You can alternate books 1-1, 2-2, etc to see some interesting parallels with the Rot, but they haven't directly impacted each other yet.
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, I agree with Dave. Alternating in numerical order is the best approach. Animal Man #6 takes a bit of a detour to allow Swamp Thing to catch up.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, it was that complete departure from the ongoing storyline in AM #6 that made me think I had missed something.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Having finally read thru December's comics today, I finally feel I'm ready to assess the New 52 (or what I've read of it) thru 4 months:

The Best of the Best: A to A+

Animal Man
Batman
Catwoman
Swamp Thing

These all met or exceeded my expectations and are definite top-of-the-pile DC books. All feature the right combination of great art, interesting characters and clever, riveting storylines to keep me hooked for the longterm. Catwoman was a particular surprise and belongs in this group because it exceeded my expectations the most as it didn't even make the original pull list!

Very Good, Solidly on Pull: B to A-

Action Comics
All-Star Western
Aquaman
Batgirl
Batwoman
Flash

All of these are solid. Most people put Action and Batwoman in the upper echelons, but I've had some problems with them that are storytelling-related. Morrison's a bit obtuse for me at times, but Action is improving every single issue, I must say. Batwoman is a little high on art and low on story but is a joy to experience. Same with Flash. Batgirl is much better than the hate its gotten because of the Oracle retcon. Western is a delight seeing Gray and Palmiotti tell continuing stories for a change, and the backups are lights-out!

Average and Potentially in Danger: C to B-

Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League Dark
Legion
Legion Lost
Nightwing

Honestly, if I wasn't such a huge Legion fan, the quality of those two launches would have already merited a drop. Though the art in both is really good, the stories are pretty "blah" at best. Overall, Levitz has failed to impress on his return to the Legion, IMO, with the exceptions of the annual and an issue here and there. Issue 4 of Lost was an improvement, and I'll see what DeFalco brings to it when he comes on. I'm such a fan of the characters that there's a good chance I'll continue indefinitely, but maybe I'll just get too fed up at some point.

JL is just too simplistic and juvenile, and JLDark is too confusing and decompressed.

GL is actually decent so far with its comparatively narrow focus (compared to how the previous volume ended) on Hal and Sinestro. But it's on a short leash if it strays too far.

Nightwing is in fairly decent shape, but I've only read two issues so far. I need to catch up on that one to make a better assessment. I've bought more, so I'll know more when I get to those stacks.

Tried and Already Dropped: F to C-

Detective Comics
Firestorm
Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
Green Arrow
Green Lantern Corps
Justice league International
OMAC
Resurrection Man
Superman
Wonder Woman

Detective wowed me with its first issue like most people, but did a fast fade with subsequent issues. Issue 4 was my last. Didn't help that the infamous cliffhanger of issue one was left to be picked up at a later time. The whole violence of the storyline was a turn-off. Didn't belong in a book called "Detective" at all. Dollmaker was very underwhelming.

Green Arrow was very generic and uninspiring. Same with JLI. I'm likely to try GA again when Nocenti begins, depending on the reviews.

Firestorm was a HUGE disappointment! I'd been waiting on a Firestorm book featuring Ronnie Raymond for a looooong time, but this one dropped a great big deuce. It made my initial pull, but I was done after 3 issues.

GLC, I read the first issue. And you know what I got? Yet another storyline beginning with Green Lantern redshirts getting slaughtered. Been there and done that, guys. It's lazy storytelling, pure and simple, and holds no more emotional resonance at this time. Dropped it with one. It disappointed me so much that I never bothered to even try New Guardians, though the idea of a rainbow Corps-centric was an initial turn-off, anyway.

Frankenstein has potential and would have been in the previous list above had it not been announced that Lemire was leaving the book soon. I saw a lot to like but lots of room for improvement, especially in character development. Not willing to see through a big creative switch, so I made a clean break with issue 4 and the end of the initial story.

OMAC, I tried because people here recommended it. Not a bad book at all, just one I could give or take. The announcement of its cancellation made it easy for me to stop after three issues.

Resurrection Man had the potential with its creative team and concept to be a real sleeper. But when your central character doesn't know who he is, it makes for a book light on character. Plus, DnA feel obligated to kill him off at least once or twice an issue, usually in grisly fashion, so we can see his powers at work. I stopped with issue three. I'll be curious to see if it ever meets its potential.

Superman's opening arc was dreadfully dull with related elemental-type villains popping up for him to fight. Just didn't seem worth waiting for it to all come together. I'll see what Giffen and Jurgens bring to the table in the reviews, but three issues was enough.

Wonder Woman....well, I got the first two issues half-price (along with Nightwing 1-2) and just wasn't impressed enough to pick up more. Not enough of an idea as to who this Diana is as a character and too much decompression. I just wasn't patient enough to wait on a book that's ordinarily a hard sell for me in normal circumstances.

So the rest, I didn't even try. That's half of them that I did try and half I didn't. I'm always watching and waiting for reviews here and elsewhere, so there's always a chance. Of all those I didn't try, the Deadman run in Presents is probably the main one I regret. Possibly New Guardians as well. The rest are pretty much what I thought they were.

Definitely look to pick up Earth-2, World's Finest and Batman, Inc. of the upcomind "Second Wave".

[ February 12, 2012, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Following Lardy's lead, I've now had ample time to consider where I stand with the DCnU 52 and whether I will continue or not. Some titles have picked up steam while more have fizzled a bit; many have won me over while a few have begun to bore me after the initial convincing me to keep buying. 

A+, Best of the Best
Action Comics
Batman
Batwoman
Flash
All-Star Western
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman
Catwoman
DC Comics Presents - note, Deadman story is why graded this way; we'll see about upcoming Challs story.

A to A-, definite buys
Men of War - hate to see this one go; G.I. Combat will be welcome but it's an entirely different approach 
Animal Man
Batwing
Birds of Prey
Superboy
Green Lantern
Nightwing
Aquaman
Stormwatch 

B+ to B-, Certainly good enough to keep buying but room for improvement
Superman - each issue has got progressively more boring, change in creative team could reverse slide 
Justice League
Justice League International
Justice League Dark
Legion of Super Heroes
Legion Lost
Legion: Secret Origins
Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE
Demon Knights
New Guardians - possibly deserves to be in higher echelon 
OMAC - will finish it out loving it 
Teen Titans - much better than I thought it would be 
Thunder Agents 

C+ to C-, mediocre at best and may be coming to and end for me
Green Lantern Corps
Captain Atom
Blue Beetle
Fury of Firestorm
Supergirl
Green Arrow - waiting for Nocenti to start
Detective Comics
Batman & Robin
Grifter
Voodoo - I like it but need something more each issue 

Dropped
Hawk & Dove
Static Shock
Mr. Terrific
Batgirl 
Dark Knight
Hawkman
Red Lanterns
Suicide Squad
I, Vampire
Blackhawks
Red Hood & the Outlaws
Resurrection Man
My Greatest Adventure 

Never Tried
Deathstroke
Batman Beyond

Next 6
I intend to try all 6. Each one has things that interest me, but also something to give me slight reservations.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
DC Comics Presents: Deadman #4 - this series has been a breakout hit or me since it launched but #4 really took it to the next level. This was an utterly fantastic issue that combined the fantastic story-telling abilities of the creative team with a welcomingly complex and existential topic. As I've said before, this is the best Deadman has been written since his original appearances in the late 1960's; I'm hoping there is a long ongoing Deadman series following the end of this arc by the creative team.

Just a little follow-up on the Deadman story which I've now finished. I praised it througout and won't rehash, but I have to say I think its the single best Deadman story published since the original Arnold Drake run in 1968-69. Jenkins & Chang really blew me away here and I wish that it would spin-off into an ongoing series by this creative team.

I think they did a fantastic job showing how a Deadman series could actually work going forward. It asked some pretty big questions about life...and actually came up with some pretty big answers!

This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.