Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Speaking of Batgirl, Cobie, what did you think of my review? I know it wouldn't change your opinion, but I half-expected you to chime in with a counterpoint or something. (You've been fairly quiet over the last week, so maybe SD's kept ya occupied!)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Justice League International #1 was kind of a by-the-numbers affair. It didn't suck but also didn't really thrill a whole lot.

I think the strength of the issue resided in the concept if it's executed well. For example, I found myself interested in the new (?) character of Andre Briggs. He's kind of the replacement for Maxwell Lord as the founder and facilitator of this new version of the JLI. The really close tie to the U.N. makes this version feel somewhat different from the old one. Hopefully, the tension introduced in this isse will continue to play out in an interesting manner.

The other conflicts of the issue were less interesting. The militant protesters could have been a lot more refreshing, but at the moment their motives are kind of "huh?" I think we were given insufficient background as to why they would be so opposed to the JLI and their use of the Hall of Justice, especially to justify the action they end up taking.

The mission in South America didn't exactly ring my bell, either. For a minute there I was expecting Marvel's Mole Man to pop up! Instead we have a last page of a giant robot thingy reminiscent of a Sentinel or a Celestial from Marvel. Kind of underwhelming.

Oddly, enough, I kind of missed Judd Winick here. He did a good job on the Generation Lost series that featured many of these characters. I couldn't help but think that the character interaction would have been a little more entertaining. There was some potential here but nothing really "wowed" me that Jurgens wrote. I know it's been a while since Jurgens wrote a team book, however, so maybe he'll hit his stride soon. Can't help but think this would be an ideal book for another Giffen/Jurgens joint.

Aaron Lopresti was my favorite of the artists on Gen Lost, so I was pleased to see him on this book. I was a little underwhelmed by the interiors, though. I don't know if Matt Ryan was his inker on Gen Lost, but I would suspect not. The lines just didn't seem as crisp and memorable as they were before. There was nothing bad here, but I feel Lopresti's work has looked much better.

Anyhow, JLI was a lot more lukewarm a book for me than I suspected it would be. But I'm certainly willing to stick with it for a while to turn things upward. There's too much talent on this book for it not to!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Speaking of Batgirl, Cobie, what did you think of my review? I know it wouldn't change your opinion, but I half-expected you to chime in with a counterpoint or something. (You've been fairly quiet over the last week, so maybe SD's kept ya occupied!)

Yeah, work has kept me busy so when I do get a chance to post it's only half-hearted. I'm in my car service back home as I'm posting this thankfully.

I was going to chime in but figured I'd wait and see if #2 changed my low opinion (not realizing it is shipping late).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
So for the second month in a row, Week 2 carries the weakest titles for me. Am I just in a bad mood this time of month, or will I always feel a little let down after a great first week? Bullet reviews -

Legion Lost - just not feeling it, and I love Wildfire. More discussion in the Legion forum.

Suicide Squad - Against my better judgement I came back for more. There wasn't much to like here.

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E. - It think the art is killing this one for me. It's just not as fun as I want it to be, nor is it as overtly melodramatic as Morrison's original. Frankenstein continues to be the straight man and not the star. I'm all for the new Creature Commandos, but this isn't supposed to be their book.

Demon Knights Once again the highlight of Week 2. It's great fun, but despite the wall-to-wall mayhem, the pacing still seems slow. Not much more is revealed that we didn't already know from last issue. I'm finding myself more attracted to the new characters than the established ones. I want to see more of the Amazon and Jabar.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, just got back from Barnes and Nobles. Read a few of the number Ones.

Green Arrow - N0ot a bad book, but not that great either. For me, I think a lot of leeway went with the art. I liked the look of the book way more than the story.

Teen Titans - Actually not bad. Decent intro to the characters. Sad to see Kid Flash regressed back to being an apparent idiot though. Tim was pretty cool, and I liked the whole intro of "don't call her" Wonder Girl. I liked the originals, but these kids seemed alright. Not liking it enough to buy it, but not as terrible as I thought it was going to be.

Superman - To be honest, I only made it through the intro of Jimmy Olsen. There was too much there. I do not like the padding of books written for the trade, but this thing was bogged down in dialog. I lost interest really fast.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So with month #2, my reviews won’t be as in depth or wordy unless I really feel strongly about something or have a majorly different opinion. As of this evening, I’ve just about caught up on all the “Week 1” #2 issues and I once again feel that the “Week 1” line-up is by far the strongest. I was equally as impressed by just about every single series that has come out.

Several series continue to surprise me in that I’m enjoying them much more than I thought I would: Static Shock, Stormwatch, Detective Comics, Batwing, OMAC and especially Men of War. Even Hawk & Dove has been fun! Meanwhile, Action Comics, Swamp Thing and Animal Man continue to impress in a big way. Even Justice League International, which I thought was a little weaker than I liked in #1, had a stronger showing in #2 to clinch for me that I want to keep buying it.

All in all, thus far I plan to keep buying all of the Week #1 issues! (Batgirl not included since its no longer a part of that week). I skipped Huntress because honestly, how many non-super-powered Gotham female vigilantes does DC expect me to buy? Time to make some of them stand out a bit more. (And I actually like the Huntress more than the rebooted Batgirl and probably even Batwoman).

Men of War is a personal favorite of mine, and I recommend it to anyone interested in war comics.

Static Shock has my vote for the very best of all the teenager-centric comics DC has relaunched. I know John Rozum is leaving but Scott McDaniel is not only the artist, but also the co-writer. I wonder how much of the magic is coming from Rozum. I’m willing to stick around since it’s been such a pleasant surprise.

I’m even enjoying Hawk & Dove to a degree. Despite my major art pet peeve of lack of backgrounds being a recurring problem with Liefield, the story & art had that 1990’s / 12 years old excitement feeling that is sometimes enjoyable after reading something very heavy like Swamp Thing or Fables. I know its not the most intellectually stimulating thing, but it is kind of fun.

(PS - realize I haven't read Green Arrow yet, but I think thats the only one).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I've let myself get totally bogged down... still haven't gotten past the horrid Blackhawks and wonderful Voodoo & New Guardians from WEEK 4.

That also means (after I pick up the last 2 weeks worth today) I will have THREE WEEKS of # 2s backed up.

Not to mention the few Marvel, Image and misc. comics on my pull.

Looks like I need to get my butt off the interwebz and have a mass comicbook blowout session tomorrow...

I should probably hit the grocery for snacks for that!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Tried to read ALL-STAR WESTERN last night in bed but the muted colors made it too difficult to follow (I need a better bedside lamp). I was enjoying it though, before I had to give up.

I'll finish it today hopefully. After I take care of some family business, I'd like to hunker down in my big reading chair (which has a BRIGHT-ASS light!), turn off the 'net and the TV and plow through some comics!!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Demon Knights #2 moves the characters into more of a team as the village is attacked by dinosaurs/dragons. The dragons lose, but other threats are dispatched by the Queen and Mordru.

One thing I like about the series is that contemporary language is used, not the sort of "wilt thou" stuff that can be clunky to read.

It's also fun to have an Arab character who is portrayed as the rational scientist.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

ALL-STAR WESTERN # 1: Very well done. I am going to be collecting my first genre western title!! I enjoyed the mystery and Dr. Arkham's notes about Jonah throughout. Also, the setting of Gotham works here for me, since I shouldn't have to deal with Batman being around, hooray!!

SUPERMAN # 1: I've read some on the fence reviews of this so was unsure if I would like it. I did though, probably more than ACTION # 1. I enjoyed most the business politics of the Daily Planet and the action scenes were just kinda there for me. I'm onboard, especially with Giffen set to bow in # 7!

BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT: Skimmed it only. Yawn.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I VAMPIRE # 1

I really really WANT to like this book... yet I'm on the fence for # 2.

The muted colors of ALL-STAR WESTERN worked great for that title because the line-artwork was SO detailed. And while I like the art on I VAMPIRE, the muted coloring actually works AGAINST it for me because the line-art is NOT that detailed.

I'm leaning toward getting # 2 but if I still have problems figuring out what is going on because of the colors, I won't get # 3.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Glad you liked All-Star Western, Lash! Personally, I thought it was the TITS.
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
A thought on JLI -- I'm treating this as an "all ages" book. I gave it to my 9-year old and suggested he read it. It has characters he knows AND likes from JLU and B:BATB -- Batman, Booster Gold, Guy Gardner. The female characters are cool, too (although vastly underused so far). The geopolitics is a little confusing for the 9-year old, but I think he gets that the UN (whatever that is) wants a Justice League it can control. Best of all, there is no decapitation, evisceration, BD/SM sex, or other naked murder victims in the book after 2 issues, and you figure, if you WERE gonna do that $h!#, you would do it right away. So, a good all ages book with humorous characters and decent super-hero action. What's not to like?

I would totally say the same thing about Supergirl, BTW. This is a GREAT jumping on book for a younger boy or girl, so far, with a likeable girl discovering she's on an alien world and has super powers. Maybe issue 3 will have rape and sodomy. Who knows?

<Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO objection to mainstream comics with any/all of the following: decapitation, evisceration, BD/SM sex, naked murder victims, rape or sodomy. I just question a business model that makes a big splash for new readers and then puts out a BUNCH of books that parents of kids younger than 17 would not want those kids to read.>

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK # 1

Magic teeth, huh? BWAhaha! Tres amusing. I wasn't enthralled but I'll give it a few issues... I just hate to see Enchantress thrown out again, if that happens. I liked her in Suicide Squad and LOVED her in SHADOWPACT.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by doublechinner:
A thought on JLI -- I'm treating this as an "all ages" book. I gave it to my 9-year old and suggested he read it. It has characters he knows AND likes from JLU and B:BATB -- Batman, Booster Gold, Guy Gardner. The female characters are cool, too (although vastly underused so far). The geopolitics is a little confusing for the 9-year old, but I think he gets that the UN (whatever that is) wants a Justice League it can control. Best of all, there is no decapitation, evisceration, BD/SM sex, or other naked murder victims in the book after 2 issues, and you figure, if you WERE gonna do that $h!#, you would do it right away. So, a good all ages book with humorous characters and decent super-hero action. What's not to like?

I would totally say the same thing about Supergirl, BTW. This is a GREAT jumping on book for a younger boy or girl, so far, with a likeable girl discovering she's on an alien world and has super powers. Maybe issue 3 will have rape and sodomy. Who knows?

<Disclaimer: I have absolutely NO objection to mainstream comics with any/all of the following: decapitation, evisceration, BD/SM sex, naked murder victims, rape or sodomy. I just question a business model that makes a big splash for new readers and then puts out a BUNCH of books that parents of kids younger than 17 would not want those kids to read.>

DC, you make a really excellent point about Justice League International. In a lot of ways it reminds me of Jurgens run on JLI the first time around, which was occurring just as I was getting into comics full time, around age 12 or so. It had the same sort of accessible for younger readers my age as did MOST comics of that era. I enjoyed #2 a good deal (more than #1) and I can see how any reader age 7 or up might enjoy it.
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.