Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 16)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
(This post isn't an attempt to stop the de-headlining of this thread.)

I just want to remark that I find that Wonder Woman spoiler REALLY distasteful. I realize it's probably truer to how the Amazons were perceived in the original myths, but I do not like what it does for the Amazons of the DCU. (Well, the DCnU I guess so I probably shouldn't care.)

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
*poof*

[ March 29, 2012, 03:17 PM: Message edited by: gone ]

From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So I just forced myself to read some comics.

VOODOO 3-4, then GREEN ARROW 6-7.

They were alright but I just don't care anymore.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by gone:
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I just want to remark that I find that Wonder Woman spoiler REALLY distasteful.

Beyond distasteful. WAY beyond. The Amazons are better off dead than to be portrayed in THIS fassion.

Click Here For A SpoilerWasn't thrilled with the earlier reveal that Diana is yet nanother bastard child of Zeus... old and boring idea there. I was severely annoyed that they took away the Lasso of Truth and have made it Wonder Woman's 'intimidation'. However, the reveal that the Amazons went on 'hunting' trips 3 times a year to seduce/rape males and then KILLED them afterwards... That just disgusts me that DC thinks it is entertaining or a good backstory for Wonder Woman's family. The idea that they traded away the 'useless' males to Hephasteus for weapons is just insult added to injury. I will NEVER read another Wonder Woman story in my life nor watch ANY media that has her in it AND if I should ever meet the writers in person, I will tell them that THEY are the ones that ruined Wonder Woman forever.

Instead of not buying/reading/watching ANYTHING to do with Wonder Woman again, wouldn't it be better to just not buy/read/watch THIS version of Wonder Woman and then actively support the version of her that you prefer - to show DC that there's a market for it?
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
This seems like an appropriate place for some Femmes:

The Fab VF's

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Heh--- yeah that was pretty appropos of my current 'tude!

I think it's time I broke down and forced myself to read the LSH books I have piled up... although hints I've picked up on the LSH forum are not encouraging.

I have high hopes for the last 2 issues of the CHILDREN'S CRUSADE mini... I hope soemthing else I read in the DCnU is worth a darn. Spoilers I've encounteres about WONDER WOMAN have convinced me to go ahead and drop it without buying the issues in my pull (I only bought 1-2 so far).

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Seven issues in, for the most part, and I'm still having fun with the new 52. I admit my reading habits and tastes are somewhat unique. Most people sampled a variety of the new books, and decided what to drop or keep. I made a commitment to a handful of books and added them to my pull list before the September releases. I haven't dropped anything yet, and have consistently bought a few more titles that I wasn't planning on.

Justice League - This was an add on. I expected to check out the first issue or so to get my bearings in the new DC Universe. I enjoyed the origin story, and picked up #7 because I was curious about the new Shazam feature. I didn't enjoy Shazam that much, but the lead story featuring Steve Trevor and the rebooted Etta Candy has my interest. I'll be around for at least a few more issues.

Justice League Dark - I love the mix of characters and find the art moody and fascinating. MIlligan is an old fave, and I can't wait to see what Lemire brings to the table. Totally into this book for the duration.

Animal Man - My favorite of the New 52. I love having the Baker family back in my life.

Swamp Thing - I love this character and I'm thrilled that he has been given a fresh start.

DC Universe Presents - I added this to my pull based on my love of Deadman. His issues exceeded my expectations. The first two issues of the Challengers have been good, but not great. I'm kind of lukewarm about Vandal Savage's daughter, but I like the rotating format. I think I'll stick around at least to see what the next feature will be.

Batwoman - Love the art. Have to support DC's leading lesbian character. The supporting cast is impressive.

Action and Superman - These were both add ons. I'm having more fun reading Superman stories than I have in years. Action is outstanding. Perez did solid job on Superman, and Giffen is taking over. Both titles stay.

Legion of Super-Heroes - I always buy the Legion. The art is great and I like the new kids. I do wish Levitz would step it up a bit, and the book could use more clarity. But, it's the Legion and won't be dropped.

Legion Lost - The most disappointing of the New 52 books that I buy. But, it's the Legion and won't be dropped.

Batgirl - I had high hopes and was disappointed by the first couple of issues. The book has consistently improved. It looks good. Gail is into her groove. There have been some interesting villains. I like the supporting cast and the guest appearances by Nightwing, Batman, and Black Canary have all been good.

Nightwing - Another add on that I'm surprised by how much I'm enjoying.

Wonder Woman - Next to the Legion, Wonder Woman is the series I've bought most consistently throughout my life. I'm fascinated with the character. I'm totally out of synch with most other Wonder Woman fans. They're always complaining that DC never gets the character right and that every change ruins her. From where I sit, DC almost consistently gets the character right. There's just so much to love about Wonder Woman. She's complex and complicated. People want to put her in a box and complain when she doesn't fit. I'm thrilled to see experiments and new interpretations. The latest series is no exception. It's a great deconstruction of the character and her traditional dressings, yet she remains the hero that she's always been.

The Savage Hawkman - A disappointment. I do like the art, though and wanted to stick around to see how the Gentleman Ghost was handled. With a new creative team coming soon, I'm going to wait it out for a while more.

With Legion: Secret Origins, Legion/Star Trek, and Archie Meets KISS all coming to an end, I will probably be able to pick up another title or two. Teen Titans is likely.

[ March 24, 2012, 08:38 PM: Message edited by: Jerry ]

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I def rec Teen Titans, Jerry!

You know, I think I've come to realize my opinion on WW mirrors yours. I also enjoy the historical trend of utilizing Diana in different experimental status quos.

I'm also anxious to try out the new Hawkman creative team.

Lately, feels like Legion Lost is improving and exceeding LSH.

My opinions also match yours on Nightwing & DC Comics Presents.

Lash, I've been feeling the 'just don't care vibe on a lot of series too'. I highly recommend the Cobie remedy of Atomic Robo, Wolverine & the X-Men, Saga and Supurbia!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Cobie, I promise I am going to take you up on these suggestions, just as soon as I get my pull trimmed further...

which is happening faster now as I read SWAMP THING 6-7 last night and decided that I really couldn't give two shits for stories about the Rot, the Red and the Green. WHO am I trying to kid? That stuff just IS NOT ME. It wasn't me in the 90s and it isn't me now. Give me Rozakis writing TEEN TITANS any day over that stuff. AXED.

I also decided to just go ahead and drop SUPERGIRL and SUPERBOY without buying any issues from my pull (3-onward). Good thing my CBS guy loves me...

I *am*, however, excited about Giffen's debut on SUPERMAN...

--------------------

gone
gone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gone   Author's Homepage   Email gone         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Instead of not buying/reading/watching ANYTHING to do with Wonder Woman again, wouldn't it be better to just not buy/read/watch THIS version of Wonder Woman and then actively support the version of her that you prefer - to show DC that there's a market for it?

No. They have ruined her for me Forever. Even when the next reboot returns her to something aproximating one of the earlierr versions I liked, or even Loved, I will always have THIS version in my head. The message I am sending is that it IS possible to ruin something permanently with their bad choices and for Me they HAVE. I am done with Wonder Woman in All media from here on, Forever.
From: gone | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"gone" spelled backwards is "enog". That is all.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by gone:
quote:

No. They have ruined her for me Forever. Even when the next reboot returns her to something aproximating one of the earlierr versions I liked, or even Loved, I will always have THIS version in my head. The message I am sending is that it IS possible to ruin something permanently with their bad choices and for Me they HAVE. I am done with Wonder Woman in All media from here on, Forever.
while not quite as extreme, but I can relate. DC ruined Hal Jordan for me back in the day, first with the pointless killing of Katma Tui, then the Emerald Yawn crap, and then the whole Parallax bit. Even with Hal restored, I still cannot muster any enthusiasm for a hero who had once been an all-time favorite.

I can see the point of making a less Disneyeque Amazon culture than we've seen, but I can also see gone's point of view.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's *glare*:
just as soon as I get my pull trimmed further...

Sorry Lash, but when you say this I can't help but take it into a whole different context.

;-)

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
^ [ROTFLMAO]
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm loving Stormwatch. Issue #7 almost broke my heart with its portrayal of the terribly ill city Pripyat tended by Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Hawksmoor has always fascinated me as a concept, but this is the first time I've really enjoyed how he's being written.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  ...  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.