Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 21)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Very interesting words from Perez. I would imagine not knowing who you could and couldn't use in a story was insanely frustrating. I rather enjoyed Perez' 6 issue stint on SUPERMAN despite all that, I enjoyed the wordiness of it. Decompressed it was NOT.

I am glad to hear he and Levitz are sympatico, I can't imagine they wouldn't be. Levitz needs an artist of Perez' calibre and talent to bring out the best in his writing.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds to me like there is an awful lot of micro-managing going on at DC these days. Generally that is never a good thing (unless the person at the top is somebody like Steve Jobs...and Didilee is no Steve Jobs).

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Full script approvals via committee? YUCK.

No wonder most of DC's comics suck so bad these days.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Gave Demon Knights the axe this week...just found it to have devolved into an aimless mess with little going on character-wise or plot-wise. Plus, the depiction of Vandal Savage as a lovable barbarian just feels wrong and distracting.

Also, though I wanted to give Matt Kindt more than just a one issue shot on Frankenstein, I realize I can't justify buying this when I hardly muster the enthusiasm to turn the pages. Morrison's original mini was a masterpiece. But DC hasn't been able to recapture the magic.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Gave Demon Knights the axe this week...just found it to have devolved into an aimless mess with little going on character-wise or plot-wise. Plus, the depiction of Vandal Savage as a lovable barbarian just feels wrong and distracting.

Also, though I wanted to give Matt Kindt more than just a one issue shot on Frankenstein, I realize I can't justify buying this when I hardly muster the enthusiasm to turn the pages. Morrison's original mini was a masterpiece. But DC hasn't been able to recapture the magic.

Disappointing to hear. Both are still in my unread pile from my enforced exile due to work and family commitments. I'll be getting to the last three months worth in the next week or so hopefully and then make up my mind (I already axed JLD after catching up there).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm still liking JLD myself. I've been a John Constantine fan since his creation (I'm currently re-reading the entire Moore Swamp Thing run as well as the early issues of Hellblazer), and it's interesting to see what Jeff Lemire is doing with a slightly younger incarnation of the character in the current JLD series. Plus, I really like Michael Janin's art. So few comics artists these days can do good faces.

Speaking of Swamp Thing, let me say that reading the current run after reading Moore's version is a lot like reading Marty Pasko's run after reading the original Wein/Wrightson series. It just doesn't measure up. That said, it's probably as good as or better than most of what is being published today, although it takes decompression to a depressing extreme (I can read an entire issue in about three minutes).

Sadly, one of my favorites, Resurrection Man, is being cancelled, along with some others that I probably would have dropped soon anyway (Voodoo, I'm looking at you).

In general I'm finding myself losing interest in the entire DCnU now that the inevitable crossovers are starting to happen. Having followed Marvel during the Stan Lee years I can understand the appeal of a shared universe. I just wish the DCnU was a more appealing universe.

On the other hand, I find Earth 2 to be far more intriguing place so far. Hopefully Robinson will resist the temptation to reveal too much too soon (although I would be quite happy to find out the Shade miniseries is taking place on E-2)

The way things are going I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year the only DC books I'm still getting are the Legion, Earth 2 and Worlds' Finest. We shall see.

[ July 04, 2012, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: the Hermit ]

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Res man was the book I was getting. Shame.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
As well, Firestorm is gettin' the heave ho after 12 if things don't change fast. Good art, but no hint of charm or fun in the book, all maiming and whining. They've made Ron a character I could get to hate. E-12 better get interesting.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
New Deadwardians has been a bit slow, I think it will read better in the trades. The interesting bits are the development of Victorian England amidst a zombie apocalypse and there are some good nuggets of character development as we get some back story of the lead character and his interaction with his human surly (but loyal) driver. Also, the main character's identity as a vampire leads him to all sorts of interactions with people who want to be immortal, people that hate vampires, and ... a flirtatious relationship with a prostitute. The main character as passionless harks back to sherlock holmes and plenty of other british mystery characters.

In these regards the book is getting better and better with each issue.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Anybody remember the "this isn't your father's Oldsmobile" ad campaign? The one that centered on casting off everything that kept their old loyal customers coming back in favor of attracting more fickle new buyers?

The end result of this campaign was it ended up not being *anybody's* Oldsmobile and the entire line was terminated.

I see the DCnU as the comic book version of that campaign.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, DCnU has quickly lost pretty much all appeal to me. So much so that I've entertained the notion of dropping EVERY BIT of it a lot lately, so I can prospect into even more awesome indies! Even the ones I still like well enough(such as Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman etc.) just don't feel like MUST-READS, y'know? At no point have I EVER felt (at least since I was 11 and went X-Men crazy) like I could drop the entire DC line, but I've felt like that since the "new"-ness of the New 52 wore off a few months ago.

Part of this, I know, is that the superhero genre has slowly been losing its appeal for me over the last few years with stories of any real consequence having their effects undone after a short while. As you realize more and more that these characters are more of a brand now than they ever were before,it just seems pointless to read about them and drop a lot of dough on them. The real action is in the indies where the creators have full control of their properties and do whatever they want to with them and do ground breaking things outside of the spandex genre.

But also, with the DCnU, I miss my damn continuity and the universe I was attached to before! I can see now how hardcore pre-Crisis fans felt when all their toys were taken away. I was still a kid when that happened, and even then, I had some misgivings. But now, as an adult fan who experienced the universe as it was since I was 15 (albeit with serious flaws within it), I find that this reboot took away most of what I loved about that 26-year continuity only to tell mostly mediocre-at-best sories with that clean slate.

I'm about to trim my DC pull list again. I'll give a handful of titles a few more months. But the possibility of my dropping ALL DCnu titles completely is there and getting realer and realer every day.Even my beloved LSH (which I've collected faithfully since the mid '80 theu relaunch after relaunch) won't be spared much longer. (I already dropped Legion Lost months ago.)

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm right there with ya...I have only read a handful of books the last several months, and they haven't been DC (outside of the Before Watchmen stuff) or Marvel, even though I still buy them.

Really considering deep sixing just about everything from DC. Maybe grabbing a few Marvel (probably just FF when Allred comes on board.)

Will make a decision soon.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I think Dial H and Swamp Thing have been consistently good, and so has the relaunched Batman Incorporated, and Supergirl.

I'm disappointed that I Zombie was cancelled and Resurrection Man is ending next month.

I still enjoy Batwoman but I'm not much happy with the direction they've put Bette Kane in. Still, it's the only other Bat book besides Batgirl I buy, and even then I've been considering dropping it.

I look forward to Sword of Sorcery with Amethyst, it's the only one of the Third Wave books that looks any good to me.

Legion of Super-Heroes has begun to pick up in my opinion, but I'm still not buying Legion Lost. And it still irks me that the team is considered a "Young Justice" line book when they. Are. Not. TEENAGERS. Well except Gates I guess.

I've been doing it again with Action Comics and Animal Man. I've been buying the issues but I haven't been reading them. I think I'm actually missing an issue of Animal Man. But re-reading Action Comics I'm sad, but not surprised, that Morrison is leaving soon.

And of course Teen Titans and Outlaws continues to be God awful with the shakey continuity, and it still PMO.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree the DCnU lost its shine fast and actually predict another universe altering "HEROES RETURN style" event within 5 years, probably MUCH sooner. Still though there are titles I am enjoying. STORMWATCH, AQUAMAN, EARTH 2 and WORLDS' FINEST remain a lot of fun for me. TEEN TITANS I am still enjoying well enough. As Sark said, LSH has finally begun to pick up. I am actually really liking the new spin on SHAZAM in JL.

And like a sucker I am using MARVEL NOW to taste-test Marvel again.

But I'm much quicker about swinging the DROP IT axe than I have ever been before. My former "6 issue" trials have become 1-2 issue trials.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Of course if Joe Prado's going to be living Aquaman I'll be dropping that pretty soon. I only bought it because he was on it.

However, if Nei Ruffino stops working on New Guardians I will continue to buy it. It's pretty okay by my standards.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.