Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 53)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I wrote in a post about 20 pages ago that 'Catcher in the Rye' was in the pile of books next to my bed waiting to be read. Well, it's still there. I just cannot summon up the enthusiasm to read it. Hopefully one day it will hit me and then I'll love it, rather than forcing myself to read it when I'm not in the mood.

Anyhoo - finished 'Bullet Points'. Pretty good. Kind-of-a strange but interesting book and worth a read if anyone ever comes across it.

About to read 'The Interpretation of Murder' on the recommendation of my Uncle but I also just scored full runs of all the early 'Batman and the Outsiders' and 'The Outsiders' books so it could be a little while before I get started on it.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN
"Bah-weep-Graaaaagnah wheep ni ni bong."

Icon 1 posted      Profile for l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN   Email l.e.g.i.o.n.JOHN         Edit/Delete Post     
Big Bosoms and Square Jaws: the biography of Russ Meyer king of the sex film. by Jimmy McDonough

am a big fan of his "sexplotiton" films and saw this while browsing through Amazon so i thought i'd check it out.

--------------------
Judging yourself right is a
destination, i'm just on a journey

http://pnubaumturk.deviantart.com/

From: Yonkers N.Y | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been sick a lot lately, so I've read a ton of books over the last couple of months; including everything by Richard Morgan.

It's sci-fi, but very dark, extremely violent, sexual, yet thought provoking and fascinating too. Highly recommended.

Black Man is a stand alone title, and his latest book.

There is a trilogy: Altered Carbon. Broken Angels, and Woken Furies, though each one is only nominally influenced by the ones that came before, so you wouldn't necessarily have to read them all.

Market Forces is also a stand alone. It is far less futuristic than the others. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others, but still a strong book.

From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Let's see... was home for the Thanksgiving holiday and had some free time on the farm so I managed a few books:

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz

The Unhandsome Prince by John Moore

Odd was a neat little book... Koontz managed to pull the rug out from under me on several occasions. He is an excellent story teller. Grade: A-

Unhandsome was a nice, fast read... with a little bit of wit and a different way of looking at well known fairy tales passed down over the years. Grade: A-

JP was a great book... for the most part. Crichton knows his technicals... for several disciplines (higher math, biology, animal/human behavior, business, etc.) I was impressed. A number of differences from the movie but I wouldn't say that detracted from my enjoyment of the book. Every once in a while he got a little to soap-boxy for me, but more than forgivable in my opinion.
Grade: A-

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
I think I wrote in a post about 20 pages ago that 'Catcher in the Rye' was in the pile of books next to my bed waiting to be read. Well, it's still there. I just cannot summon up the enthusiasm to read it. Hopefully one day it will hit me and then I'll love it, rather than forcing myself to read it when I'm not in the mood.

I read 'Catcher in the Rye' in high school. It was part of the assigned reading, but I didn't feel forced to read it as I love reading. However, I didn't like it at all. It seemed so boring and I didn't identify with Holden Caufield at all.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am currently reading "The Last Days of Krypton" by Keving J. Anderson. I have only read 26 pages but it is looking good. Marv Wolfman wrote the forward. Anderson seems to be combining elements of the comics and the movies. Jor-el has white hair ala Marlon Brando and the Phantom Zone is the spinning rings. Krypton and the Kryptonians are not as isolated as Byrne's were, but the society is a bit stagnated. And the formal costumes of the nobles are as Byrne had them.

Anderson does make some changes. Jax-Ur still destroys one of Krypton's moons. But now that happened a couple of thousand years ago and is the reason for Krypton's lack of space travel and xenophobia (the missles came from an alien). Opposition to Jax-Ur led to the current make-up of Kryptonian politics/government. Now called the Kryptonian Council rather than the Science Council.

It is looking like it will be a good read.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
I read that, Quis.

It was pretty good.

Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

I just finished it. It was pretty good. Although I could see the ending Click Here For A Spoiler Krypton explodes a mile off. [Wink]

I was disappointed by no appearance of Lar Gand of Daxam.

--------------------

rtvu2
here we go again....

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rtvu2   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I just finished read Pullman's 'His Dark Materials.'

I liked it, but this was supposed to be a kids book?

Reading 'Thunderstruck' now. I forget the authors name, but he also wrote 'Devil in the White City.'
He combines historical events togethere, one good and one bad. In Devil it was the turn of the century in Chicago with the Wordls Fair contrasted with the first published American Serial Killer. In 'Thunderstruck' its about Marconi and another killer.

From: Texas | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
A lot of boring books for school, mostly about Jews in Brazil in the 17th Century. Stupid final paper. But!! When it's over, I plan on enjoying... something to be decided. Maybe a German authored book for my visit there.

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Stopped buying Fables a few years ago when I had stopped buying Legion at the end of DnA.

Picked up all the trades 6 to 9 since then and am already on my second reading.

Jack of Trades - so-so but worth buying.
Trades 6 to 9 typically wonderful.
1001 Nights of Snowfall absolutely astounding reading and a work of art.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Just finishing up a reread of Bernard Cornwell's 'Warlord Chronicles', an Arthurian trilogy (The Winter King / Enemy of God / Excalibur) and one of the best treatments of King Arthur I know of.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
I just finished it. It was pretty good. Although I could see the ending Click Here For A Spoiler Krypton explodes a mile off. [Wink]

I was disappointed by no appearance of Lar Gand of Daxam.

Yeah, I really figured when the ship showed up it was going to be Lar's.
Blue Battler
Honorary

I finished up another one of Shatner's Star Trek books last night. As things have gone on, I haven't really enjoyed his version of Kirk. (His co-authors did a much better job of Kirk in their own works) but I find myself kind of missing the days when you could find tons of Star Trek books out there.

Last night I also started Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief. It's pretty good so far.

Matter Lad
What is a madman, but a broken genius?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matter Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Matter Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I read the Science of Superheroes and am reading the Science of Supervillains, both by Lois Gresh and Robert Weinberg. I recommend them. They take very logical looks at some things, while avoiding the "magic" element. They are very enjoyable.

--------------------
My homepage
Jus ad Bellum
Shinto

From: Saginaw, MI | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  50  51  52  53  54  55  56  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.