Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » So what are you READING? (Page 51)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  89  90  91   
Author Topic: So what are you READING?
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
A Tale of Two Cities and A Wrinkle in Time are both on my on deck circle. Along with a hundred other books. [Smile]

I plan to read most if not all of Dickens. (and Patricia Highsmith, and Henry Miller, and Kafka, *groan)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kenaustin
4/28/37 - I miss you, momma - 6/13/11

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kenaustin   Author's Homepage   Email kenaustin         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Matthew E:
quote:
Originally posted by kenaustin:
In 18 days I'll be reading Fatal Revenant by Stephen R. Donaldson, the second book of "The Last Chronicles of Thomas Covenant."

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you... did you happen to take your username from the Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant?
Yes sir, that's where I got it from. [Smile]

--------------------
kenaustin's korner - Legion Magic

From: Louisville, Ky | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
Aha!

--

I just finished reading G.K. Chesterton's The Man Who Was Thursday. It was good, but I'm not sure what to make of it. I think I'll need to read it again.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Just finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Some pretty powerful stuff, though the ending was actually a bit blah.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I am finishing up Secret Daughter - a mixed race daughter and the mother who gave her up

It is a memoir. The author's mother ended up marrying Larry Storch of F-Troop fame.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
The rumor and gossip about Quislet, Esq. Thread... some juicy stuff there... [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
The rumor and gossip about Quislet, Esq. Thread... some juicy stuff there... [Wink]

But nothing about me and Larry Storch.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
minesurfer
Member Standing Proudly

Icon 1 posted      Profile for minesurfer   Email minesurfer         Edit/Delete Post     
Found time to read Guilty Pleasures by Laurell Hamilton.

This was the first in her (wildly popular?)Anita Blake, Vampire Killer series. I don't know much about the phenomena this series has become. I know fans liked it pretty well up until about book 9 or so... but I'm going to stick with what I thought of this book.

Overall: Not bad. Decent plot, but not out of the ordinary (might have been when it was first published though). Great pace to the book. Action sequences were fast and easy to visualize, characters were a little shallow, but I think that was more a result of the narrative choice than poor writing. My main gripe is that the book seemed terribly anti-climatic. I'll read some of the follow up books though.

Grade: B+ to A-.

--------------------
Something Filthy!

From: NOVA by way of NOIN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Semi Transparent Fellow
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Semi Transparent Fellow   Email Semi Transparent Fellow         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm trying to read Michael Chabon's "The Yiddish Policeman's Union." Unfortunately, it's not "Kavalier and Clay" -- but then, what is? It's an alternative history -- Europe's displaced Jews end up in Alaska, not Israel, after WWII. But it's also a noir murder mystery. I'm not that fond of the noir genre, but love alternate histories. So I'm torn.
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Just finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter. Some pretty powerful stuff, though the ending was actually a bit blah.

Continuing on with the works of Carson McCullers, I've read Reflections in a Golden Eye and Ballad of the Sad Cafe, both of which were incredible!

Reflections in a Golden Eye is kind of a murder mystery in reverse, where you're told at the beginning that a murder is going to happen, but your left guessing who exactly is going to kill whom until the very end.

Ballad of a Sad Cafe is pure genius, and has one of the grooviest epilogues I've ever read.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally finished the latest Harry Potter! Damn, that took a long time. The first third was good the last third was great! The middle? Man it just seemed to drag on and on!

Anyways, started reading the Great Gatsby. I read it in high school and never revisited it. I don't remember much so I am giving it another go.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I just started on the Charles Schulz biography Schulz and Peanuts, and I had to tear myself away from it to go on the computer. From what I've read so far, I don't think it portrays him negatively like a lot of people are saying -- I think it humanizes him; I mean, everyone is more complicated than they appear.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Yk
between boots

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yk   Email Yk         Edit/Delete Post     
How about Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions?
I've heard good things about it so I picked up a copy and I'm taking it on the road with me this week.

From: Smallville Sector : Greater Metropolis | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Lately _Around the World in 80 Days_ has been my book of choice while I'm hitting the exercise bike.
Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blue Battler
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue Battler   Email Blue Battler         Edit/Delete Post     
Reading _Runes of the Earth_ again in preparation for Fatal Revenant_
Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 91 pages: 1  2  3  ...  48  49  50  51  52  53  54  ...  89  90  91   

Close Topic   Unfeature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.