Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Worst Song Ever (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Worst Song Ever
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Eric Carmen sings "All By Myself" (not that you asked [Wink] ).

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
Hah! I like most of the songs people are listing here!!! Even the stuff from '74!!! I must be some kinda dork!!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
My recent contender for First Place Worst is California Girls, hands down.

At my late '11 temp job, one of my co-workers played it on her phone several times daily. It made me so crazy that one morning (after a particularly hellish load of work), she switched it on for the second time that day and I started singing a bunch of random babble featuring phrases like "Poopy Doopy Scoopy" and "J.F.C. This Song [censored]-ing sucks oh oh oh!" at the top of my lungs, while I was hacking up old cardboard with a box-cutter and wishing that the cardboard was everyone involved in the existence of the song.

In all likelihood, I would never have dared try this in a standard office/retail environment, but in the warehouse it was safe enough. The brass was the equivalent of an entire city block away and couldn't hear me.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
If you've never heard, everyone should listen to this scientific attempt to create the Worst Song Ever.

Which, paradoxically, somehow manages to be all sorts of kickass awesome.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
I love Fish Heads. Did you know that half of the duo responsible for that was Billy Mumy?

My own nomination for worst song ever is Afternoon Delight by the Starland Vocal Band (although Paul Anka's Having My Baby gives it a run for its money).

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Worst song ever...

The Christmas Shoe song about the kid singing about buying his mom shoes because she is going to die any second.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno what song Dev is speaking of but the description sure tickled me!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJcPVB-we7g

The most freakin depressing Christmas song ever. I like all kinds of Christmas music, but not this song. It just annoys me and makes me.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
^^Hmmm... we may have a winner.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
If you've never heard, everyone should listen to this scientific attempt to create the Worst Song Ever.

Which, paradoxically, somehow manages to be all sorts of kickass awesome.

At twenty minutes, it's not well distilled, is it? They really should've called it "The Annoying Suite" for the sake of accuracy.

OTOH, when I heard the "Yom Kippur" segment, I laughed so hard that I hurt myself.

[Big Grin]

[ June 10, 2012, 09:56 AM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

By the way, before California Girls came along, my long-standing Champion of Awful was Spandau Ballet's True. It combines so much of what I hated about the Eighties: Lyrics that sounded like an inept translation from another language, vocals so simultaneously oily and plastic that they made me borderline homicidal, and an incredibly stale, faux-sensitive arrangement. Thank Dog all the yahoos involved appeared happy to pocket their big fat checks after one hit and exit show biz forever.

Honorable mention:

"Lies" by the Thompson Twins.
"Do You Really Want To Hurt Me" by Culture Club
"'65 Love Affair" by Paul Davis
"Touch Me" by Samantha Fox"
"Sunglasses At Night" by Corey Hart

I think all of these could double as ipecac in the event of accidental poison consumption.

Most of the Eighties was truly musical purgatory for me.

One runner-up from an earlier age: Thin Lizzy's The Boys Are Back. Choppy construction, terrible vocal delivery, really painful lyrics... If I ever meet those guys in the afterlife I'm gonna' seriously kick them in the shins.

[ June 10, 2012, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------

cleome46

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

SHORT PEOPLE by Randy Newman.

Ironically, Newman penned "I Think It's Going To Rain Today," which I think might be one of the best songs ever in the English language. Irma Thomas' version is amazing.

Newman himself seemed perplexed by S.P.'s success.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit."

The vocals, if you can even call them that, are a mixture of mumbling, whining and bed-wetter screaming.

The lyrics are even more infantile than the "singing."

The riff and the beat date all the way back to 19-frigging-76 and Boston's "More Than a Feeling."

And if Turd Cobain was as punk-rock as he claimed he was, why was the mix so oily-slick?

The song was sold as a "generational anthem for teenagers" but it said NOTHING to me about my life at the time, and I was 17!

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

But Fanfie...then we wouldn't have this classic interpretation.

Smells Like Nirvana

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's hilarious, but it's not as vicious as the song deserved. I love Weird Al, but he's too good-natured to twist the knife into the REALLY BAD songs. Plus, Turd Cobain loved Weird Al's parody, so that defeated the purpose.

Seriously, I think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is an abomination. If it hadn't been sold as Something Earth-Shaking/Important/Subversive I could merely dismiss it as a lame song, but the accolades it got and continues to get make me sick.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.