Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Worst Song Ever (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Worst Song Ever
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
While I disagree with much Fanfic says about Kurt Cobain, I absolutely agree that he was as handsome- and borderline pretty- as any rockstar ever was.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:

ipecac

A word that should be used much more often!
Especially in conjunction with pop culture (and frankly, with a lot of supposed highbrow stuff, too).

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
...I may change my answer to anything by Greenday. The most un-punk punk band ever.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Good to know I'm not alone in my opinion of that band, Dev.

Brace yourself for a lot of contrary replies, though, they've got some seriously passionate fans here at Legion World.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, I know. I get those same responses in real life. Never saw their appeal...sure they have a couple songs that are not bad. But selling yourself off as a punk band...please.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

...I mean at least Nickleback is not deluding themselves as to what they are.
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And if they do, we'll just remind them.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
And if they do, we'll just remind them.

*groan* thats a pun worthy of Spider Robinson!!

RE: Green Day...I thought I liked them. In fact, I was so sure, that as a gamer, I bought the Green Day: Rock Band game. Sweet Magnetic Jesus was I ever wrong!

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Jesus is magnetic? Does this mean Cosmic Boy is...um....never mind....
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Oh, I know. I get those same responses in real life. Never saw their appeal...sure they have a couple songs that are not bad. But selling yourself off as a punk band...please.

[shrug]

I'm not real knowledgeable about Green Day, but right now I've got Antietam's "Sink Or Swim" playing and it's making me sigh with happiness, like always.

What's the objection to throwing G.D. under the punk umbrella? Seems to me like it's been decades since "punk" was a catchall only for music that was deliberately discordant and non-melodic. Antietam, for instance, is often tagged as "punk" in its early years by dint of having been at CBGB's and other "ground zero" venues for the scene. XTC started out as part of the punk movement. Even the Ramones have plenty of catchy, melodic tunes, as does The Clash. (The lyrics of "Rock the Casbah" are kind of bleakly humorous and still pretty political. It's just that most people don't notice because the tune itself is so catchy.)

Seriously, what did Green Day do to merit this ire that countless other bands never did? I'm curious.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hi, I like Green Day, but I can see why others may not. So no slings and arrows from here. They're in my Top 20 bands (possibly Top 10?) and that's basically from only hearing two of their full albums and a dozen or so other singles that I really, really dig. I'm looking to eventually get all their albums, so I'll have a fuller understanding of how much I really like them.

But, again, I can see why people wouldn't like them. It can be argued that they're kind of derivative and not terribly original. I like Billie Joe's voice, but there are moments in some songs where it even annoys me. I imagine there are people who always feel that way when they here it.

I don't think of them as much more than a really good pop band. I wouldn't call them "important", but they entertain me with a fairly large catalogue of terrific songs and at least a pair of albums that are good from top to bottom. So they really tickle my pop sensibilities in just the right way. Sometimes, that's good enough.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What DOES ruffle my feathers a bit is this bit from page 1:

quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Metallica. Buncha whining Pu$$y's.

I can only imagine that Rick's judgement is based largely on their documentary "Some Kind of Monster" which is pretty much unwatchable because of all the neuroses among the band that the film laid bare. It was a total crapfest, for sure.

But regardless, Metallica is important and have fashioned some of the greatest metal songs and albums of all time. Throw anything from "St. Anger" in this thread, and I doubt many Metallica fans would disagree with you. But to imply that everything they've ever produced is crap (in so many words) is pure ignorance.

There, got that off my chest! [Smile]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Gawd! My parents overdosed me on some Anne Murray as a kid! They had this 8-Track they played over and over on trips to see my grandparents. Such depressing zingers as "Let's Keep It That Way", "Tennesee Waltz", "You Needed Me" and "A Little Good News" haunted me even as I was choking on their constant cigarette smoke for four hours! [Disgusting]

And I guess the lack of anyone agreeing with me here means this thread is populated with huge Anne Murray fans, eh? [tease]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Anne Murray is wonderful. I don't count those songs you mention among my favorite Murray songs, aside from the classic 'You Needed Me', but she has many great ones I fondly remember.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:

[shrug]

I'm not real knowledgeable about Green Day, but right now I've got Antietam's "Sink Or Swim" playing and it's making me sigh with happiness, like always.

What's the objection to throwing G.D. under the punk umbrella? Seems to me like it's been decades since "punk" was a catchall only for music that was deliberately discordant and non-melodic. Antietam, for instance, is often tagged as "punk" in its early years by dint of having been at CBGB's and other "ground zero" venues for the scene. XTC started out as part of the punk movement. Even the Ramones have plenty of catchy, melodic tunes, as does The Clash. (The lyrics of "Rock the Casbah" are kind of bleakly humorous and still pretty political. It's just that most people don't notice because the tune itself is so catchy.)

Seriously, what did Green Day do to merit this ire that countless other bands never did? I'm curious.

I don't have ire towards them, I just can't see why they are considered punk. As to what they did...it's more what they never did. Which is record an actual punk song...which the others you mention did do. Everything I have ever heard from them is just not punk in any way shape or form. [shrug]
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.