Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Worst Song Ever (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Worst Song Ever
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
What DOES ruffle my feathers a bit is this bit from page 1:

quote:
Originally posted by rickshaw1:
Metallica. Buncha whining Pu$$y's.

I can only imagine that Rick's judgement is based largely on their documentary "Some Kind of Monster" which is pretty much unwatchable because of all the neuroses among the band that the film laid bare. It was a total crapfest, for sure.

But regardless, Metallica is important and have fashioned some of the greatest metal songs and albums of all time. Throw anything from "St. Anger" in this thread, and I doubt many Metallica fans would disagree with you. But to imply that everything they've ever produced is crap (in so many words) is pure ignorance.

There, got that off my chest! [Smile]

I love Metallica...but also can see where they come off as Ric says.

I understand the whole Napster thing from their perspective...but do they honestly think that we didn't used to just dub their tapes back in the day? How do they think that thousands of their diehard fans found out about them...through those very same dubbed tapes that one of our friends had gotten from a friend of a friend.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm...missed that post by Rick till it was reposted, and as (far as I know) the "most metal" person on the board....

I have to agree totally.
Actually I feel the worst of it was Newstead...
Burton played bass, Metallica were awesome and heavy.
Newstead joins, Metallica gets more and more commerical, abandon thier original fans, have the Napster debacle (don't even get me started on that!!) etc, etc.
Trujillo joins up, band starts to return to thier roots musically and are becoming fun to listen to again.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Hi, I like Green Day, but I can see why others may not...It can be argued that they're kind of derivative and not terribly original. I like Billie Joe's voice, but there are moments in some songs where it even annoys me. I imagine there are people who always feel that way when they here it.

Exactly. Thanks for summing up how I feel so perfectly, Lardy.

Regarding Metallica, I love their first three albums, but feel that Megadeth (whose leader, Dave Mustaine, may or may not have written the majority of "Kill 'Em All" before he was fired from Metallica) totally out-paced them in the 90s, with four excellent albums in a row ("Rust in Peace", "Countdown to Extinction", "Youthinasia," and "Cryptic Writings".) And I think both bands went off the rails in the late 90s and have never found their way back on track.

[ June 13, 2012, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: Fanfic Lady ]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Viridis Lament   Author's Homepage   Email Viridis Lament         Edit/Delete Post     
Fanfie, I can almost totally agree with that (and my wife shares the exact same opinion as you)
The only point where you and I differ is I think that the latest albums by both bands are steps in the right direction for a return to greatness.

From: Fort McMurray | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Viridis Lament:
Fanfie, I can almost totally agree with that (and my wife shares the exact same opinion as you)

Viridis, please tell Disdemona I send her a sisterly high-five.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Gonna say my very very close second to the shoe song, is a song that actually makes me mad when I hear it anywhere.

Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla DB.

Even typing it gets me angered. Rational? Nope, not a bit...but there ya go.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
...I mean at least Nickleback is not deluding themselves as to what they are.

I think Nickelback should record an album of covers. If they pick the right ones, they could create an intense loop of pretentious inanity that destroys the universe forever. (What can I say? I'll do anything at this point to avoid ever searching the classifieds on Craigslist ever again.)

I submit my earlier list of musical nightmares for consideration. Maybe we could tack on a few medium-level annoying hits by Billy Joel, Neil Diamond, Huey Lewis, and the late-era Bangles to fill out the album.

Oh, and a cover of The Little River Band's "Lonesome Loser" is absolutely required. That song should be kept away from anyone who has access to sharp, pointy objects.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I hate Rap Crap. Most anything where gangstahs shout out about banging bitches and shooting cops is really a downer for me. Eminem doing his poser rap beat I guess is similar to back when Elvis was set up to sing Blues songs, but at least the Blues have a social significance more positive than rap hate tunes. Snoop Dogg is just a pimp.

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Worst song ever: Donny Osmond's "Puppy Love"

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Kid Quislet:
I hate Rap Crap. Most anything where gangstahs shout out about banging bitches and shooting cops is really a downer for me. Eminem doing his poser rap beat I guess is similar to back when Elvis was set up to sing Blues songs, but at least the Blues have a social significance more positive than rap hate tunes. Snoop Dogg is just a pimp.

The original folk blues, murder ballads, et al were pretty much the rap of their time, though. A ton of that stuff is about death, two-timing, crime, disease, incest, you know... the stuff of reality TV.

Also, while gangsta rap may get most of the money and P.R., it's not an accurate representation of all of rap music. Groups like Herbalizer, the Digable Planets, Ozomatli, Jurassic 5? They never get old for me no matter how many times I listen. Artists like Jean Grae sometimes rap about difficult subject matter, but they're clearly not glorifying it, if you pay attention. (The same would go for a group like The Coup. If this song was glorifying pimp culture, I guess Johnny Cash was glorifying life in prison, too.)

As for Eminem? I'm just glad his ten minutes of fame appear to finally be over. He knew who to steal from and how to self-promote, like Madonna. And like Madonna, that was pretty much the extent of his "talent."

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Cleome, I like most late-era Bangles hits, except for "In My Room", which makes me want to throw a chair at the wall. But what do you think is so bad about "Set You Free", the cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter", and (the admittedly overplayed) "Eternal Flame?"

--------------------

cleome46

I definitely wouldn't put any of those in the "worst" category, FL. But in my mind, I can hear how they would have sounded in the pre-Prince era, before the band had all its endearing rough edges filed off (and their more generous use of harmony singing dialed wayyyyy back), and it just makes me go [Roll Eyes] .

I especially didn't like how Hoffs (?) seemingly got pushed into singing in that more breathy/cutesy Lauper style that was so in fashion back then. I have nothing against Lauper, but I don't think we needed an army of Lauper wannabees.

At least their choice of cover showed good taste. I tend to like covers more when they take more liberties with the arrangement/structure of the original, however.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Good points well taken, Cleome.

I'm not so sure Hoffs was pushed into that singing style, rather I suspect that she cold-bloodedly appropriated it because she had her eye on the prize. She was by far my least favorite Bangle.

Vicki Peterson, on the other hand...that lady is awesome!

--------------------

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
^I had a crush on Michael Steele. [Love]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Viridis Lament
Cenobyte. Cthulhu. God.

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
Cleome, I like most late-era Bangles hits, except for "In My Room", which makes me want to throw a chair at the wall. But what do you think is so bad about "Set You Free", the cover of Simon & Garfunkel's "Hazy Shade of Winter", and (the admittedly overplayed) "Eternal Flame?"

Lol, back in the early 2000's my old metal band did a cover of the Bangle's version of "Hazy Shade of Winter"...I can't hear the song anymore without giggling
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.