Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Worst Song Ever (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Worst Song Ever
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Smells like Teen Spirit was certainly our anthem in high school. If not the greatest or our favorite ... it was a rallying cry for me and the alterna crew ... which consisted of my and my friends ... in a highly conservative and just plain backwater town.

Our head banging took the highschool by storm.

It was the most ... idk ... different song at the time that made it to middle america. Pearl Jam was still kinda twangy like country, Metallica was kinda 80s rock but .... both and many others of the time accessible by adjacent genres.

Smells Like Teen Spirit was ... something outrageous. yeah, Kurt mumbled but ... that was the appeal ... what the hell was he saying ... and even when you could hear the words .. it made no sense ... or begged for interpretation. And it was crazy loud to make Neil Young proud.

As all great rock music should be ... it was a fuck all. and it said it while being incredibly commercially successful.

[Smile]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
But I think they also offered an alternative to the "bloody and unbowed" defiance of the other bands, perhaps an alternative that kids (and young adults) who aren't aggressive or who don't identify with an aggressive image could more readily accept. When I hear "Teen Spirit," I feel like forgetting my problems, at least temporarily, and head banging (not that I do that while driving!). GNR and Metallica are too "serious" for my taste.

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Smells like Teen Spirit was certainly our anthem in high school. If not the greatest or our favorite ... it was a rallying cry for me and the alterna crew ... which consisted of my and my friends ... in a highly conservative and just plain backwater town.

Our head banging took the highschool by storm.

Thanks to you guys, I feel I have a better understanding of the song's appeal.

We each have different life experiences, and they color our responses to different kinds of music.

I've never been to Middle America. In my teenage experiences in the Southeast in the early 90s, grunge (including Nirvana) was the province of beer monsters who considered metal too effeminate, while the hipper-than-thou crowd was into hip-hop.

My way of rebelling was to seek out anything with something resembling a melody, thus I gravitated toward what had been considered alternative by the generation previous to mine. When Garbage came along in the mid-90s, with their mix of dance beats and loud guitars topped with refreshingly understated feminine vocals, I felt I had finally found a sound to call my own.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It is certainly true that our life experiences (including generational and geographical factors) influence how we perceive a song.

As I mentioned before, I was nearly 30 when Nirvana hit. I was starting to come to terms with the fact that I had "outgrown" much of popular music. From 1979-90, I had listened to "American Top 40" every week, but I gave it up because there were so few songs I cared about.

(And yes, I know a lot of good music never comes anywhere near the Top 40, but I loved following the charts and monitoring music trends. For several years, doing so made me feel "connected" in the same sense that following politics or sports helps certain people feel connected to a larger community.)

During the year or two previous to Nirvana, popular rock-oriented hits included the likes of "Epic" by Faith No More, "To Be With You" by Mr. Big, "Are You Gonna Go My Way" by Lennie Kravitz, and "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers--all good songs but somewhat predictable. Every time I heard them, I couldn't shake the feeling they were meant for a younger audience, one that hadn't "heard it all".

"Teen Spirit," strangely enough, seemed timeless even though it was adopted as an anthem by the younger generation. It had the raw energy and stripped down anarchy of punk but enough pop sensibility and whimsy to keep it from being taken too seriously. It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think Cobain in his own way brought much needed fun back to rock 'n' roll in the same way The Beatles had in 1963-64.

Like The Beatles, Cobain didn't look like a rock star was supposed to look like at the time. He didn't sing like a rock star was supposed to, and he didn't write songs that fit into prevailing trends. He was able to go beyond formula and tap into something more universal, something that crossed the generational divide.

"Teen Spirit" still sounds fresh to me, twenty years after its release. I can't say the same for most other songs from the late '80s and early '90s.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
That video was crazy too, does it even show their faces ...

quote:
Originally posted by He Who Wanders:
It may be a bit of a stretch, but I think Cobain in his own way brought much needed fun back to rock 'n' roll in the same way The Beatles had in 1963-64.

I think so too, Beck and a score of others either followed suit or came out promptly after ...

my friends and I had no end of fun with Beck's lyrics.

Weezer!

even Green Day! [Big Grin]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Although, I think Courtney Love and Hole wipe the floor with all of them ... heh heh

evidenced by her being STILL IN THE GAME!

... such a 'trainwreck' (being sarcastic ... I think its at least part for show) but somehow she still manages to be touring while everyone else is ... irrelevant. [Big Grin]

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I have no memories of Beck, Weezer, or even Hole, and I know only a couple of Green Day songs. Truly, it was after Nirvana that I pretty much checked out of following music.

It's ironic to think of Nirvana as a demarcation point. I couldn't (and still can't) call myself a fan. I own no Nirvana records. But they were, in hindsight, the last group I paid much attention to, whether I wanted to or not.

It's not that subsequent music was bad, but I had other things on my mind. Music no longer held the position of primary interest it once had (and that's why most of my musical references on this board are so dated! [Wink] ).

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lady:
In my teenage experiences in the Southeast in the early 90s, grunge (including Nirvana) was the province of beer monsters who considered metal too effeminate, while the hipper-than-thou crowd was into hip-hop.

Kurt often said he despaired when he'd look into the crowd and see the kind of people who used to beat him up in high school in the front row at his concerts. It was frustrating to him because that's not who he wanted to make music for.

(Chris Cornell echoed the sentiment around the same time).

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Hackett:
quote:
In my teenage experiences in the Southeast in the early 90s, grunge (including Nirvana) was the province of beer monsters who considered metal too effeminate, while the hipper-than-thou crowd was into hip-hop.

Kurt often said he despaired when he'd look into the crowd and see the kind of people who used to beat him up in high school in the front row at his concerts. It was frustrating to him because that's not who he wanted to make music for.

That's too bad, but it comes with the territory.

They could have responded like John Lydon or Julian Cope, and made music that deliberately drove away those people.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
quote:

I'm torn between sympathizing with his plight and thinking that if the kids who hated me in school felt suddenly compelled to shell out big bucks for my work (because some professional tastemaker told them to) I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
See, all I get is that the kids who picked on me in school all look like I did then...BALD!!!

Bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

This is not lost on a lot of them either.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

quote:
Originally posted by cleome46:
quote:
quote:

I'm torn between sympathizing with his plight and thinking that if the kids who hated me in school felt suddenly compelled to shell out big bucks for my work (because some professional tastemaker told them to) I'd be laughing all the way to the bank.
Indeed. It's hard to sympathize with someone who sells millions of records and sells out venues and who "despairs" of having any audience at all.

--------------------

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.