Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The Dark Knight Official Thread ... Spoilers (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: The Dark Knight Official Thread ... Spoilers
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't going to see it, figured I'd wait to watch it on Xfinity or whatever, but a friend I hadn't seen for awhile wanted to get together and see it.

Bane needed a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up already. What a chatty Cathy!

The contrast between his mask, which covered mostly his mouth/jaw, and Batman's mask, which covers everything but his mouth/jaw, seemed deliberate, but I'm not sure what it meant symbolically (if anything).

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Tom Hardy seemed to be channeling Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now for his portrayal of Bane. I could see Bane as the same sort of quasi-religious zealot leader who inspires both fear and awe in his followers. (At the beginning of the film, Bane convinces one of his lackeys to stay in the plane that's about to crash.) Talking a lot seemed to fit into his demagoguery.

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
BTW, I just watched the beginning of Batman Begins, which I'd never seen before.

Good movie, as are the other two, but slow and plodding. Somewhere around the climax on the monorail, the story loses my attention.

BB seems to be two movies thrown together as one--a feature of both of the other two films, as well, but less successful here. The whole Ra's al Ghul arc feels like it belongs in a different movie.

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw it today. I definitely found it a worthy conclusion to the best set of films ever made in the superhero genre.

I'm not gonna say a lot because I'm still processing it, but I can't really understand why all of the pre-hype has been setting it up as a bad film whose poor quality is being covered up. It's not a perfect film, but it was a perfectly entertaining and involving experience. And I didn't really see all the gaping plot holes others are reporting.

Great, great trilogy. Whoever picks up the Batman baton from Nolan has a hard race to run!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
My favorite parts of the trilogy, thus far, come from the snarky comments from Alfred and / or Lucius.

Alfred - "Well, it's a good thing you left all your worldly possessions to someone you can trust. Do fill up my car after you borrow it..."

Lucius - "So you believe that one of the world's richest and most powerful men likes to dress up in body armor and beat people up at night, and you want to blackmail him? Good luck with that."

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Yes, Caine and Freeman are outstanding.

I think that's why the ending of "Rises" works so well for me. It features Cain's considerable strengths as an actor.

Freeman serves a similar but more subdued role in the first film: "Didn't you get the memo?"

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw it.

Hmmm.

Not a bad movie by any means. But... it was a very.... heavy movie. Pretty much like a seven course meal. It could have been a bit more mcdonalds, to be honest, but thats the difference between DC and Marvel. DC is good, expensive, heavy food that leaves you overstuffed. Marvel is a meal you forget after five minutes.

Rises was a good end to the Nolan series. And it combines a large part of the newer batman mythology. I wasn't surprised by the hook, too many years of reading batman, lol. But it was a decent twist.

all in all...a visually great movie, but a bit of a plodder. I think Bale was on downers the entire time. that's it. The movie was so heavy it had zero pop or zip, even in the moments it should have. Other than that, not bad.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
just saw it. quite good, a nice conclusion to the trilogy.

Loved AH as Selina. The story struck a tight balance between remaining the out-for-her-self survivor and the reluctant heroine; he betrayal was good in prolonging he balance. But given the stakes, we all knew she would come around.

with my sense of humor, though as he is flying out to sea, Adam West's voice popped up in my head. "Some days, you just can't get rid of a bomb!"

Great job by the cast. I knew of Bane but not much about him; he was from an era where reading the Batman comics seemed pointless. Given that they never had time to have Talia caught between Bats and Ra's, this version of her made sense.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Just saw the latest Batman movie. Really liked it. Perhaps not as good as The Dark Knight but much better than Batman Begins which, like HWW, I found to be way too slow and disjointed - totally agree with him about the 'two different movies grafted together' feel to it.

There was a LOT going on in this latest one but it all held together and I was engrossed the whole time.

I LOVED Ann Hathaway and 'Catwoman' (in everything but name). I find the character a bit over-used and boring in the comics but I thought she shone here. And the costume looked hot!

I really liked the John Blake character too and I was hope, hope, hoping that he would

Click Here For A Spoilerbe Robin by the end of the movie.

So I was super-pleased by that development.

It was a lot of fun seeing

Click Here For A SpoilerScarecrow and R'as al Ghul

again, as well as

Click Here For A SpoilerTalia

though anyone who's read the comics could see that twist coming from a mile away.

Bane was OK but seemed weirdly under-developed compared to most of the other villains in this franchise, even though we saw his origin.

Click Here For A SpoilerOr did we? [Wink]

I found his voice annoying though and struggled to understand him more than a couple of times.

I did absolutely HATE one thing about this movie though. It was something I hated in the previous two too but it it just hit stratospheric heights of unbearability for me in this one. And that's Michael Caine's acting as Alfred. Could he have possibly been ANY more hammy and over-the-top and over-emoting for the people in the back rows of the theatre than he was in this movie? Every one of his lines was delivered like he was just on the verge of bursting into tears - it was all so cloying and sickening; I seriously wanted Bane to just pop up and shoot him every time he opened his mouth to give one of his dour, please-give-me-another-Oscar, scenery-chewing speeches. THANK GOD he disappeared for the whole last half of the movie.

Too tired to write more now but it's a shame that this seems to be the last film in the Nolan universe, as the status quo at the end of the movie is one that I would have really liked to see presented more on the big screen.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, being late to the party I think actually helped when finally saw the movie today.

I really enjoyed it. It was a terrific send off to the series.

I like that there are threads left wide open at the end, while still providing a definitive finale.

Gary Oldman did another fantastic performance as Gordon. I like that they never had him just sitting around doing nothing but talking to Batman or the police.

Anne Hathaway did a splendid job as Selina Kyle (the Cat-burgler). Adding tot he already impressive list of actresses that have portrayed this character over the years. Like someone above said, she walked that fine line between hero/villain very well.

Tom Hardy was good with what he had to work with. By that I mean the lack of the use of half his face to convey emotion was not that much of a distraction to me.

The others in the movie did a great job as well.

This trilogy is a great testament of what super hero movies can accomplish. Much better as a whole than its separate parts.

As far as Christian Bale goes. He did a good job throughout the series. I had a problem with the 'voice' thing in the beginning...but thinking about it over the years, I understand why they did it, or at least why I think they did it. So that things like the ending here would be possible...

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Finally saw it.

Was a whole lot better than I thought. At times some things were a bit unbelievable ... even in a movie with a guy dressed as a bat ... and it comes off much like the other super hero movies, as a violent Disney movie but ...

It was still great. I'm watching it twice. Anne Hathawy's portrayal of Catwoman was the highlight for me ... I love her bruce Timm look, he agile fight scenes and Anne Hathaway's ability to change personalities. She certainly got the best lines and the comedic relief of the movie.

I enjoyed the Drive soundtrack as well.

Was really disappointed we got to see so little of Tom Hardy, what a waste of an actor! and his Bane voice was almost as dorky as Christian Bale's Batman whisper.

2 hours and 44 minutes seemed just right.

Oh and Jospeh Gordon Levit can do no wrong.

I wish they had made Batman a bit older, I didn't buy Christian Bale as a tired, worn out, or busted anything.

My favorite of the recent comic book movies BY FAR!

I may finally rent the last Batman movie now!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
... and I was really against Anne Hathaway as Catwoman BEFORE I saw it. (no fan of her here) She was fantastic!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Some scenes between Michale Caine and Christian Bale were obviously filmed separately which is total shame, they did a good job of acting to the air on film but it could've been so much better with them in scene together ... because those were the big emotional points of the movie.
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

I can't help but think ... if only Catwoman would've rescued Batman a minute earlier ...

she could've taken down Click Here For A Spoiler talia ... bane ... rescued Batman ... and ended the movie 30-40 minutes early ha ha

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:

Too much Chicago. It's Gotham. Movie's are usually better at disguising but this was so clearly Chicago it was distracting (to me).

That's funny, I kept thinking that The Dark Knight Rises was obviously filmed in LA. (except for the aerial scenes of course ... actually some of them ARE LA too ... I recognize the buildings!). Which makes me kind of sad because it happens ALL the time ... these big city scenes filmed in LA ... meant to be New York ... and people have this impression of LA as all suburban. I wish they would make more city movies shot in LA actually set in LA.
  This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.