Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » zombie flix: DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: zombie flix: DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Planning on taking the wife to see it.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN
THE LEGIONS' GREATEST HERO

Icon 1 posted      Profile for THE LABRADORIAN           Edit/Delete Post     
I really enjoyed this movie, gore and humour all in one!
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
SEMI
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Woody Harrelson was FANTASTIC. The Bill Murray cameo is priceless.

I actually wanted MORE zombie action, though I enjoyed how they entertwined a "geek gets the girl" theme with a zombie apocalypse.

My only gripe was the total disregard for common sense that occured once they arrived at the amusement park... suspend your disbelief for that part, and everything is okay.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

THE LABRADORIAN

I saw Eddie Van Halen at the Hollywood Bowl last night
Wow, he's alive?
No he's a zombie

ActorLad
Un-Famous

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ActorLad           Edit/Delete Post     
As I've already mentioned in various other places go see this now, it's freaking hilarious!

--------------------
ActorLad

Friendly Neighborhood Performer

Visit my official hangout ActorLad's Cool Luau over at the Mission Monitor Board!

From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally saw Zombieland last week during my vacation and thoroughly enjoyed it! RIGHTEOUS zombie kills throughout! LOVED "the rules"! One of the very few roles for Woody Harrelson that I enjoyed. Fun cameo, but I saw how it ended coming. The opening sequence and the ending at the amusement park were awesome!

This movie compares very favorably with Shaun of the Dead, especially in how each has its own flavor. Both films should be viewed by any fan of the zombie subgenre and by horror fans that don't take horror too seriously.

While in a zombie mood, I rented, The Zombie Diaries. This movie combined zombies with the handheld camera/documentary horror subgenre. It wasn't horrible but was ultimately pretty disappointing. Not much in the way of gore or mayhem and a pretty slim story. The resolution felt kind of tacked on in a way. I get that zombie films are often used to point out man's own inhumanity to man, but I've seen it done much better elsewhere than how it was here:

Click Here For A SpoilerOkay, so most of the protagonists shown in the movie are done in by sadists/serial killers they happen to encounter. Kind of a big coincedence in a relatively short timeframe (couple of months) post-zombie apocolypse, huh? [shrug]

Later, I pulled out the remake of Dawn of the Dead from my own DVD collection and watched it for the first time in a couple years. Enjoyed it a lot and figure it's the best of the recent crop of zombie flicks (certainly of the "serious" ones). A lot of good character interaction with a good mix of stereotypes and some who rise above stereotypical. A fun, gory thrillride!

Topped everything off by watching the grandaddy of them all, Night of the Living Dead on AMC. Still a classic and still shocking and ahead of its time in many ways!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN

I enjoyed Diary of the Dead
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by THE LABRADORIAN:
I enjoyed Diary of the Dead

Different movie. The one you refer to is part of the Romero "Dead" series (haven't seen that one yet). Zombie Diaries is a British low budget thing.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yes, Romero's DIARY OF THE DEAD was good.

THE ZOMBIE DIARIES I rented a few months back. It was dreadful. Didn't even finish watching it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

'Kay, I know THE CRAZIES, like 28 Days/Weeks Later, isn't really a "zombie" flick, but I'm still gonna go see it.

The original, after all, was directed by George Romero...

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Trailer out for Resident Evil: Afterlife. I don't know about anyone else, but I love these movies. I never played the games, so I do not care one bit about them not staying true to anything. They are fun movies, and this one looks to be a hoot as well.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
THE LABRADORIAN

Saw The Crazies....Sucked
I love the Resident Evil movies also, but the third one was awful.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

OK, 1 zombie film was enough... time for something a little more lighthearted... oh, look-- King of the Hill Season 10! Instant watch queue!

'Kay, ya'll hold down the fort, this is gonna take awhile to watch!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Now, on to episode 6... (still haven't slept)

--------------------

THE LABRADORIAN

is that Day, the movie that has the blonde from American Beauty, covered in rose pedals. If so, i thought that movie was just awful.
  This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.