Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » zombie flix: DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   
Author Topic: zombie flix: DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Gonna have to check that one out as well. I still need to watch QUARANTINE 2 as well.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
2012 was a SYFY movie so expect that.

It was serviceable. i *almost* gave up early because the acting at first was... well, some of the actors are better than others. But I hung in there and was glad I did.

Lots of cool apocalypsey disaster scenes, but the zombie makeup was hit and miss. Some of it was even giggle-inducing.

I liked that it took several concepts from several zombie movies and used them here. There is also a very nice shoutout TWD fans will spot easily.

I give it a B- because we have to cut SyFy movies a bit of slack. [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I love those bad SyFy movies for some reason. They fall into the so bad they're fun category more often than not.

Plus, it's always fun to pick out the same locations they use for everything they do.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND

Wow, this one will be kinda hard to describe, quality-wise.

It is NOT low-budget by any means... there are some amazing FX and big-budget shots going on here... but at the same time it kinda "feels" low-budgety. I would describe it as-- a zombie movie fan takes film classes, and somehow manages to drum up about 2-4 million to make a movie, but doesn't have quite the experience to fully realize the potential despite hiring some good folks to work on it?? That's the best way I can think of to describe the feel of this flick.

It's British, the outbreak is caused by trial runs of a performance-enhancing drug conducted on 30,000 people... this in effect turns them into NINJA ZOMBIES-- I mean, some of them seem to almost have Spider-man level agility!

When it's all said and done, I'd say it's worth a watch to judge its merits for yourself.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Dev - Em
KIA

Netflix?
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
2012 was a SYFY movie so expect that.

It was serviceable. i *almost* gave up early because the acting at first was... well, some of the actors are better than others. But I hung in there and was glad I did.

Lots of cool apocalypsey disaster scenes, but the zombie makeup was hit and miss. Some of it was even giggle-inducing.

I liked that it took several concepts from several zombie movies and used them here. There is also a very nice shoutout TWD fans will spot easily.

I give it a B- because we have to cut SyFy movies a bit of slack. [Smile]

I know we talked about this one on FB, but...I loved the Saturday afternoon feel of this movie.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Netflix?

Yeppers! And I enjoyed 2012 well enough too!

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I asked this of someone else on the first page of this thread, so I figure I might as well ask Lash:

Have you seen "Zombi", the recut of the original "Dawn of the Dead" for the European market? It moves like a bullet train and has a kick-ass score by Goblin. Not to be confused with Lucio Fulci's unrelated but equally brilliant "Zombi 2", or "Zombie" to us Americans.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I have not seen that. I usually try to catch what I can on Netflix and On Demand (and of course whatever new theatrical offerings are released) but that is not one I have come accross.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Isn't Zombi 2 the one with the Shark fight?

Lashie...Totes watching DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND tomorrow. Maybe Q2 as well...depends on time.

Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
DEVIL'S PLAYGROUND

Wow, this one will be kinda hard to describe, quality-wise.

It is NOT low-budget by any means... there are some amazing FX and big-budget shots going on here... but at the same time it kinda "feels" low-budgety. I would describe it as-- a zombie movie fan takes film classes, and somehow manages to drum up about 2-4 million to make a movie, but doesn't have quite the experience to fully realize the potential despite hiring some good folks to work on it?? That's the best way I can think of to describe the feel of this flick.

It's British, the outbreak is caused by trial runs of a performance-enhancing drug conducted on 30,000 people... this in effect turns them into NINJA ZOMBIES-- I mean, some of them seem to almost have Spider-man level agility!

When it's all said and done, I'd say it's worth a watch to judge its merits for yourself.

Watched it, listened to most of it. Missed some of the stuff at the beginning due to the sound being so freakin low for this one.

I liked it overall. Pretty straightforward, 28 Days later feel to it...with the source and all that.

There were some decent effects. Some good running by the Free Runners as the infected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6xEkjeV60Q

Fun movie, wouldn't rush to watch again, but would not turn it off again either.

I'll give it three and a half out of five axes.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Yeah the sound was TERRIBLE on this one, but I always watch with captions (and ONLY watch the ones that offer captions).

--------------------

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, how long's it gonna be before they cross killer insects with dead people and make...

ZomBee!

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

quote:
Yeah the sound was TERRIBLE on this one, but I always watch with captions (and ONLY watch the ones that offer captions).

I can normally watch a show/movie with the sound on around 20 - 25, this one I had up to 60 at some points just to hear dialog.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

THE EVIL DEAD remake is coming, and here's the first official picture from it! (click link below)

Without a doubt, this was one of the most horrifying films of the early 80s and I actually prefer its sheer unbridled horror to the campier elements in the sequels.

I think the scariest thing to me was the "possession zombie" aspect. There's virus zombies, rage "zombies" and voodoo zombies, but demon zombies just take things to a whole other level:

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/10/13/the-evil-dead-remake-trailer-comic-con/

--------------------

This topic comprises 9 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.