Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » Self Love (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Self Love
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
(The point of this thread is really the last paragraph, so either skip there directly, or spend a minute reading about why I'm so great [Smile] )

So... I'm riding in a mirrored elevator today, all alone, and I started to really take a look at my own reflection.

"You know," I thought, "you're not a bad looking dude." Almost immediately I starting thinking how narcissistic that was... then, after a moment I wondered why that was necessarily a bad thing.

Why on earth did the tradition start that pride or vanity is a "deadly sin" and humility such a virtue. As long as you're not selfish in your actions, I think a degree of vanity actually is a huge boost to one's confidence and, accordingly, the quality of your life. Too often I am, and I can only imagine most others are, hypercritical of ourselves, focusing on the things we don't like in our lives - our appearances, our personalities, our social interactions (even now I'm looking at this sentence and mentally criticizing its grammar).

But, if I were to take a step back and be absolutely honest, I have to say I probably like myself more now than I ever have in my life. I have a great relationship with my wife; I'm an awesome dog-owner; I'm really good at my job; I finally found a hairstyle that I think really works; and I'm able to - using clever double entendre thread titles - to lure you over to read about it. [Smile]

St. Augustine called pride, "the love of one's own excellence." Along that line of thinking, I'm starting this thread as a place where you can explicitly sing your own praise.

What do you really love about yourself? Why are you excellent?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I really love myself in the shower sometimes. No stress, no mess.
Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
'if you don't love yourself ... how the hell you gonna love anybody else'

i saw that on tv.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Also what matters is how hot others think you are, Ex.

And for the record: You're REALLY hot. Tell your wife I said she's a lucky lady! She better give you extra [Love] 's tonight! [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
Ram Boy, I would suggest not restricting your self-love to shower stalls. Love yourself everywhere, regardless of mess!

Anyway, it is true: can't love others til you love yourself... so I hope everyone practices self-love everyday.

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Looking at this post a day later, I realize how pompous it sounds... but that's sort of the point.

What I was really getting at was a thread where you could indulge your own pride in yourself, in a way that might not be socially acceptable were you to say it at work, for instance.

Do you secretly think you're the best coach on your kid's baseball team? Do you think you're the snazziest dresser you know? Do you think that you could totally be the next American Idol if you just got the call?

In short... why are you awesome?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I think my artwork, specifically my collage work-- is effin' awesome.

So what if nobody shells out money for it. I'll be famous after I'm dead. So there!

[TimeTrapper]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Learning to love yourself, it is the greatest love of all!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Ram Boy
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ram Boy   Email Ram Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil:

Do you think you're the snazziest dresser you know?

YES! A million times YES!

(the fact that I do it on a BUDGET and without resorting to being a label whore makes it even more awesome...toot, toot)

Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with you completely, Ex, though I should practice it more than I preach it sometimes. For awhile now I've been pretty down about my appearance since most of myself, I've been pretty confident in my looks and charm. Staying in shape is hard!

But on the other hand, I'm so damn happy about my wife, baby, dog and family life in general that I feel a ton of pride for it. And I'm incredibly good at my job with people from all over the world wanting to work with me. This year I'll probably make more money than I ever thought I would when I was 20 years old.

Plus, I figure I'm the be-all, end-all in decisions on what is 'good' or 'cool', so I assume people who agree with me are very smart with good taste and those that don't are probably lacking in areas of intelligence and good looks.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sketch Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sketch Lad           Edit/Delete Post     
My parents raised my brother and I to believe that we can do *anything* we want because we are so smart and skilled and capable; even our good looks will add to our success. It was a great boost of self confidence to carry around for when we got out there and the rest of the world just wanted to knock us down and keep us down. I've overcome a LOT of adversity.

Along the way, I managed to surround myself with people who are there for me, and I'm there for them. Not only do I love myself, but I share that love. If you're my friend, I'm all in. I am ferociously dedicated to my family.

One of my new favorite things to do is to take self portraits and Photoshop them to make myself look Hollywood great, and use those images as my profile picture on Facebook. The title of that folder is "narcissism."

I am also my own worst critic, so I do have a sense of humility. I do NOT think I'm perfect!

I'm proud of how nice I am!

--------------------
STARSEARCHERS WEBCOMIC

kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
i'm Funny,i find myself to be very humorous and i think people are weird when they dont laugh at my jones

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Exnihil: What I was really getting at was a thread where you could indulge your own pride in yourself, in a way that might not be socially acceptable were you to say it at work, for instance.
I think it's awesome when people are aware of both their successes and their failures.

We see people every day blaming their failures on forces beyond their control, other people, etc. but I find it every bit as troubling when I hear people refusing to give themselves credit for the amazing stuff they've accomplished. I think it's just as bad for your ego to deny yourself credit for the awesome, than it is to try and shift blame for the not-so-awesome, or come up with excuses for why you didn't mess something up.

In my experience, the people most likely to shift credit, or say they were lucky, or otherwise externalize their own successes, are the ones most likely to have a built in excuse to fail, since they aren't even acknowledging that they *can* accomplish something, let alone blaming the right person when they fall down.

We've got this George-Lucas-inspired rationale that some feelings are 'good' and others are 'bad.' Love is good, fear is bad, hope is good, anger is bad. Horsepucky. Sometimes it's *right* to be afraid. Some things *should* make you angry. And you don't have to look real far before you see people whose lives have been destroyed by obsessive love or unrealistic hope.

Every feeling has it's place, and when one takes it too far, can become toxic. Too much pride can lead to unrealistic notions of self (and general jerkishness towards others), while too little pride can lead to depression and feelings of worthlessness.

So, self-love is cool, in moderation.

Even the kind that Dr. Joyce Brothers' espoused. [Smile]

Me? I'm a hard worker, a decent writer, terribly creative, occasionally hilarious, and spend every day trying to live by the values of a carpenter who died 2000ish years ago.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cLSHeome:
I think my artwork, specifically my collage work-- is effin' awesome.

So what if nobody shells out money for it. I'll be famous after I'm dead. So there!

[TimeTrapper]

pictures!!!! [Big Grin]
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Here ya' go. Out of date, but you can click on the thumbnails and cruise around if you wanna', Power Seid.

[Cheers]

I'm hoping to have more current stuff available for viewing sometime next year.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.