Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » The Anywhere Machine » The official Avengers movie thread (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: The official Avengers movie thread
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I do have a complaint about the Avengers movie. Chris Evans was not shirtless in it. I feel ripped off.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes, in the movie they were definitely fish-like. Iron Man even made a "Jonah" reference. But you couldn't tell that from the trailer.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
An acquaintance e-mailed something interesting to me. But don't open the spoiler box unless you've seen the movie.

Click Here For A SpoilerSomeone wrote in with this comment on Tom Brevoort's Blog:
Joss Whedon has actually, in the last few days, mentioned... "For me, the greatest Avengers was the Avengers Annual that Jim Starlin did."

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting...veddy interesting.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I know I'm late to the party but how cool were Hawkeye and Black Widow!
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I thought those big ships were really cool too.
From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

- Scarlet Johansson was actually pretty damn fantastic. Her role was not only strong but filled with subtleties. She made Natasha stand shoulder to shoulder with the big guns, yet her character was never so over the top that she was unrelatable.

- Tom Hiddleston as Loki was also fantastic. He’s a bit overshadowed by the rest of the cast, but its too his credit that ever scene he was in worked for me. If Loki was played by a bad actor, the movie would have bombed. The opposite happened here.

Click Here For A SpoilerThe second scene was hilarious! Funny and brilliantly done. And yet, without getting too over the top about it—it was so Marvel. Heroes doing regular things, feeling regular exhaustion.

Here’s hoping the next one has Hank & Jan!

Hiddleston was a great Loki, he almost has me rooting for him (like I was in Thor)

I didn't get to see the second scene! I left when the lights came up ...

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
I know I'm late to the party...

It's never too late to join THIS party!! [Cheers] [Big Grin]

quote:
...but how cool were Hawkeye and Black Widow!

I'm delighted that all the Scarlett haters have been left eating crow. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Marvel: Six hero's to equal one DC hero!

[Wink]

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ann Hebistand
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ann Hebistand           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, Mr. Whedon, I'll do anything to get a role in the sequel...anything...
Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:

I didn't get to see the second scene! I left when the lights came up ...

Do you plan on seeing the movie again or do you want it spoiled?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Wasn't the dialogue in that second ending scene brilliant?

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeppers. Could not have been worded any better.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq:
Dave,

I think it is pretty kid friendly. There is a lot of rampaging destruction where if it were real there would be lots of dead people. From what I remember there is only one on-screen death and one scene Click Here For A Spoiler where a guy gets stabbed in the face around his eye. Although you don't actually see the actual penetration part of the stabbing

I'm just now catching up with the thread since I saw the movie today, so if my comments overlap with others, I'll edit my posts as I go along.

A few other deaths I noticed:

Click Here For A SpoilerHawkeye kills at least two guards while under Loki's control, and one of Loki's soldiers falls out of the helli-carrier while fighting Cap. Also, it wasn't clear to me if the guy whose eye gets plucked out dies or not.

While watching these scenes, the thought occurred to me that modern audiences are probably more sophisticated than they were when I was reading Avengers stories as a kid (and well into adulthood). Most kids these days probably realize people die in armed conflict, and heroes don't always have time to spare the lives of their enemies.

In fact, that's probably also a concession of translating the book to film. Super-hero tropes such as "heroes don't kill" would probably throw most viewers out of the story.

Although it's not shown, and the newscast at the end makes no mention of this, a lot of civilians had to die when all the carnage happened in Manhattan.

[ May 14, 2012, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
While everyone was pretty great, some real A+’s have to go to:

- Mark Ruffalo, giving probably the best Bruce Banner performance of all time. He basically revitalized the Hulk for me, even more than how well done the Hulk himself was. Which, by the way, he was—the Hulk was the breakout star of the show.

100 percent agreed. Ruffalo has emerged as my favorite portayer or Hulk/Banner, even eclipsing Bill Bixby.

Ruffalo was an inspired casting choice. He comes across as a middle-aged, frumpy scientist, not a Hollywood-handsome hero, as Banner is usually protrayed. Physically, he seems out of place with Downey, Evans, and the rest, but personality wise, he stole the show. He was utterly credible as a guy who is trying not to lose control in a situation where he and everyone else should be tense all the time.

The Hulk has never been one of my favorite characters, and yet, my favorite scene in the whole move . . .

Click Here For A Spoiler. . . was Hulk bashing the floor with Loki!

It's the kind of thing we all feel like doing to someone at some point, and it reminds me why Hulk is so popular: He lets readers vicariously vent their rage.

quote:

- Scarlet Johansson was actually pretty damn fantastic. Her role was not only strong but filled with subtleties. She made Natasha stand shoulder to shoulder with the big guns, yet her character was never so over the top that she was unrelatable.

Also agreed. Johansson really pulled off the fake damsel in distress bit in her scene with Loki.

quote:

- Tom Hiddleston as Loki was also fantastic. He’s a bit overshadowed by the rest of the cast, but its too his credit that ever scene he was in worked for me. If Loki was played by a bad actor, the movie would have bombed. The opposite happened here.

Yeah. The one issue I have with casting is that Hiddleston came over as a more convincing god than Hemsworth did. Loki is just delicious: spoiled, egotistical, a prince of the realm in every sense. Everything from his accent to his smile reeked of superiority. Thor not so much. (And yes, Thor is a good guy, but he was too humble, and his accent seemed forced.)

I agree with your other casting comments, too.

[ May 14, 2012, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: He Who Wanders ]

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.