Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Let's talk about LSH #8 (potential spoilers aplenty)... (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Let's talk about LSH #8 (potential spoilers aplenty)...
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
That scene was confusing to me too, TL. I thought it was Ayla using her powers to make things float out of her way, but it looks like the artist forgot to draw her hands or something.

It looked to me that Ayla walked towards the throne in panel 1. Seeing PP wasn't there she turned to side in panel 2 and peeled back curtains which disappeared.

Dah enough of Cos and Brainy pissing all over the HQ to cover each other's scent. Someone (Saturn Girl?, Dream Girl?) should leash those two and teach them to heel. Give me MORE PROJECTRA, I want to see her kick Lemnos' butt.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SouthtownKid:
I must be the only guy here who would side with Cos.

Nope! I would be behind Cos for sure and not just 'cause he reminds me of Mal from Firefly. Unlike Brainy, I feel like Cos encompasses everything a leader truly is. No leader is without flaws, he tries to balance everything... yeah. I dunno. [Poverty Lad] I just can't help but be a fan.

That said, I think both sides have equal merit and I'll be curious to see if Cham takes what Cos said as an insult and sides against him and where Projectra falls and stuff. Yeah. Definitely interesting. And I wanna see how/if they can pull it all together again too.

When's the next issue????

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh and where was Phantom Girl on the splash page/fight scene too?

That makes it her, Cham, Lyle, Brin and Projectra that were missing from the fight... maybe we'll find out why next issue.

--------------------

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, Brin's still with Terror Firma, and Projectra just wants to be left alone, but Cham and Lyle's absences this issue were certainly conspicuous.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Insouciant Lad:
(2) For at least the 2nd time, we see in the roll call that Colossal Boy is from Earth. But I thought he is from a race of giants? Was he kldding? Is there a race of giants on Earth in the 31st c.? Of course the roll also said that Lightning Lad was from Trom a few back. These are editorial lapses really, right?

IMO, neither of these things are editorial lapses. Micro Lad is from a race of giants. Can they all shrink or is it just him? If it's all of them, it's not much of a stretch to think they can shrink down whenever it's convenient. Also, just because he's from Earth it doesn't mean that his people aren't simply settlers who originated on another world. Heck, his people could even be the Biblical or other mythological giants. We need more information before we can make a solid judgment about him.

As for Lightning Lad, I again don't think it's a mistake. It could just be that his origin changed.

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MYG
Once a Legionnaire...always a Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MYG   Email MYG         Edit/Delete Post     
Excellent story!!! I loved the realistic inner conflict within Legion HQ. You can't put that many characters together, from such vast origins, and not have some degree of conflict. I too missed Barry's art.

[ July 28, 2005, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: MYG ]

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!!!

From: Sayreville, NJ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
Warning: Negative post upcoming!!!

In my youth, there was one comic I looked forward to more than any other. The stories were good, the characters were great and the art was awesome. I never had to open a cover to see if the comic was worth getting. It always was.

Then one day, something changed. I got home, opened the cover...and the art style looked different. I turned the pages, and it was totally different. I was about 8 when this happened, but I already knew to check the credit box to see who drew this issue. To my eternal disappointment, the name of Dave Cockrum was absent and some upstart named Mike Grell was the new permanent artist. (Yeah, I'm talkin about Legion).

For 7 issues of this new Legion, some of that old magic of Cockrum's Legion was back. Even the fill-in by Leonard Kirk was very compatible with Barry's style... and was a nice job.

Then I open the cover to issue 8. At first, I though maybe this will be okay. But towards the art got worse! Towards the end, I was amazed that this artwork was even approved. I know art is subjective, but this looked like amateur hour...and I'm not happy!!!

Come on guys, we're only 8 issues into a new series, and you're already relying on someone we never heard of (and that would be okay if the art was good) to fill in. If you're having that much trouble finding a guest artist, I'd recommend skipping a month. From now on, I will be opening the cover at the store before picking it up.

One thing that did show with having a guest artist was the redundancy in Sun Boy's and Element Lad's costumes. In the 2-page spread where they face each other, they practically look identical. The red and yellow costume for Jan has got to be changed.

Very disappointing!

And what's worse, the artwork meant that the story really had to stand on its own. And you know what? I'm already bored with it. Legion versus Legion. B-O-R-I-N-G!!!

You know...I've been singing the praises of this book since issue 1. I won't say that I've changed my mind in all of one month, but another issue like number 8, and I think sales will start dropping.

No good people. Not good.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
it's true, kcekada, that Barry Kitson's absence was a loss for the issue. but the fill-in art was not "bad" just not what we're used to.
i remember reading the JSA title in it's first year, and every time the regular artist Stephen Sadowski missed an issue it hurt. it hurt real bad. but the title went on to become on of DC's consistant top sellers.
(speaking of Sadowski--he'd be great as a fill-in or back-up artist on the LSH)
the other option is to go the Ultimates/Planetary route and wait sometimes 6 months or longer for the next issue, but it's all by the same creative team. it's a tough call.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kcekada
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kcekada   Email kcekada         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, as I said, art is subjective. But I thought that this was BAD. It started out okay (but not as good as it should be for this book). But it got really crappy as the story went on.

Sadowski is supposed to be working on an upcoming Legion story. I wasn't a big fan of his work on JSA at first. He improved in time. I though Leonard Kirk was wonderful...and Rags Morales was awesome. Not a big fan of the current JSA artist.

I'll admit that art plays a huge role in how much I enjoy a comic. I haven't even read all of 8 yet, because I can't stand looking at the pages.

Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Gorilla Nebula:
too bad Barry didn't draw this issue though. he would've captured alot more of the subtlety and the characters wouldn't have come off quite so hysterical.

This is what I was thinking... I just didn't think it through enough to write it down.

quote:
what was Brainy's "tak" on the computer during their talk?
That was him turning on the flight-ring broadcast.
From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Insouciant Lad:
Jo goes into bezerker mode because he's called a jerkwit?

Only a jerkwit would do that. . .
What's a "jerkwit?"

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

quote:
Originally posted by Tamper Lad:
I have a question/comment on the scene when Light Lass goes to see Projectra. Is she peeling away curtains that aren't really there in the third panel?

That's what the coloring effect looks like to me.

She was lifting Projectra's throne. You can see the curvy legs of it poorly depicted floating above her.
Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

quote:
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:
did the dialogue seem off to anyone else? seemed kinda genric...or unrelated to the images.

Yes.

quote:
i usually am bored with team fights itself issues but this time there were certain legionaires i wanted to see smacked down.
Quite a few of them let slip some words that won't be too easy to forget. I think it would be a nice touch if some resentment lingered even after they made up, but nothing overbearing.
Consilience Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Consilience Kid   Email Consilience Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Dunno... I kinda liked it.

I'm far from the most discriminating or devoted fan, but I enjoyed it. The art wasn't glaringly bad, though it did lack the grace of Barry's work. (Is it just me, or did the artist misdraw the 'shirt' part of Sun Boy's costume?) Light Lass didn't look like herself... eh. Actually, now that y'all have got me looking for problems, I can see plenty of them. But upon first reading, I didn't really notice.

Story, though, was good. Brainy nailed Cos beautifully, used his authoritarian style against him in an elegant and perfect way. I like Cos a lot, but he's really been his own worst enemy in this new series. It makes me wonder what kind of deal he has with Imra and Garth to have them be so loyal.

I can see why some of the more devoted fans are upset with the teenage hysterics on display, but I thought it was a freaking hoot. I really tire of idealized hero characters, I need realism to relate fully. I became a fan during the 'Archie Legion' *cough*, but I still was irritated at times by the glossy perfection that stuck to everyone. They didn't seem like real people. It's nice to see teenage superheros actually acting like real teenagers, and not being mini 30 year olds with a few pimples and cliche high school 'problems' (not that *any* of them would *ever* get a single pimple *ever*).

I've been waiting for the Cos/Brainy thing to catch fire for months. This was a satisfying explosion, at least.

From: Vancouver, BC | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente

quote:
Originally posted by Consilience Kid:
Is it just me, or did the artist misdraw the 'shirt' part of Sun Boy's costume?

Not just you. It was weird and... extra pointy.

--------------------

Context... who needs it?

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.