Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Let's talk about LSH #8 (potential spoilers aplenty)... (Page 9)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Let's talk about LSH #8 (potential spoilers aplenty)...
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
You know what? Get me Levitz. Let's pitch this one.

The Brainy Bunch

Brainy and Cos are neighbours in the 30th century suburbs... of space. Brainy and Dreamy live a quiet life in this suburban bungalow/split level. Until Cos and company move in next door and build this monster house (gaudy yellow and red, in the shape of a rocket ship) blocking out their afternoon sun. Monthly hilarity ensues. [Big Grin]

Well maybe if Levitz, Didio and Wacker went completely insane they'll accept my pitch. They can pull a Jemas and fire Waid for not going along with it. I can hear the internet splitting in two already.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I can see it now -- Garth and Ayla move into the attic and start to have a little more than sibling affection for one another...

The housekeeper Marla will admit to being a man who takes profem (much to Jan the Butcher's dismay, confusion then eventual acceptance).

A certain super-pet gets retconned out of existence and is never mentioned again.

And then annoying cousin Spiffany moves in and it's downhill from there...

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harbinger
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Harbinger   Email Harbinger         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Harbinger:
I don't want to have to wait another month for no. 10, but guess thats the price I pay for my addiction.

Do you know something we don't 'binger? The rest of us have to wait another two months for #10. [Wink]
Two months? [Frown]

<edited five minutes later to the sound of penny dropping!>

D'oh!

I meant number 9 of course [Embarrassed]

[ July 30, 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Harbinger ]

--------------------
"Tempus Fugitive" the final part of the Adventures of Dream Boy series, set in the Three-Boot Universe. Read it only in the Bits o' Legionnaire Business Forum.

From: here, more often than not | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Excellent montage TL! It just needs a shadowy figure in the center box. [Smile]

I thought Lyle was in the middle... [Wink]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starbucks Kid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starbucks Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
heck he's carrying the series!
Barry's work is great, no question about it. But I'd hardly say that the artwork is what's carrying the series. This has been the best LSH storyline we've seen in a long, long time. A couple of other people have already mentioned that they find the characters to be real and I couldn't agree more. All of you Waid-haters really need to stop and give a little credit where credit is due.

Also, GOD FORBID that teenagers and twenty-somethings act like young kids and disagree on things!!!

Here's what I took from it:
Another great story, action, character development, and more cliffhangers that leave me wanting to read the next issue. Cheers to the dev team for giving me my money's worth! That's what good comics are all about.

Hope to see you back at the pencils again soon, Barry.

Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Finally read it.

I don't get all the hatin' on the fill-in guy. Sure, we all miss Barry when he's away, but this guy was good enough. I found his Garth, Jan and in particular his Colossal Boy very cute! And that butt-shot of Tinya on the 2-page spread was worthy of Cockrum himself! Yum! I've never really considered Tinya the Legion hottie before, but so far in the 3boot... she is!

In an issue featuring the entire team, Cham and Lyle's absences were conspicuous.

Cham-- poisonously bitter? I haven't seen that. Yet.

Jan-- pseudointellectual? heh. Very insulting.

Ayla: The Most-Slapped Legionnaire of them all!

Projectra: How I adore her! Can't wait to see her start kicking everyone's ass. Or lapse into a coma. Whichever. I'm there for her!

Cos & Brainy: They're on my nerves. What Brainy did was particularly mean.

Pretty sweet cliffhanger ending there, too.

Good issue overall. I'll give it a solid 7.5 out of 10 butts kicked on the buttkickometer. (the .5 is a bonus for featuring most of the Legionnaires in one issue!)

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
Projectra truly intrigues me in this version.

Can't wait too find out what she does next.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rjbrande:
Really miss the Kitson art when it's not there, but this was easily the best issue of this run. Easily

Funny how two people can get something completely different out of the same thing. I thought this was easily the worst issue of the run.
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SiliconDream:

Another impressive power demonstration for Cos, what with making and breaking forcefields.

I find it interesting that Mark has chosen to give Cos such a power boost (he was plenty powerful enough as was, IMHO) even as he all but neuters Element Lad.

quote:
Originally posted by SiliconDream:
And he showed a good mix of instability, power-trippiness and honest interest in the team's welfare and ideals--it's hard to decide whether he or Brainy are on a better path, as it should be.

I guess I got something totally different out of this issue. I thought Cos was a complete prick. Worse, he was a winey, self-involved, hypocritical, power-mad, prick.

Personally, I hope he loses the both the power struggle and his membership. He can't fork of the first, last, and security deposit on a cozy rent on Shanghalla soon enough for me.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
I don't know if it's the artist that made it seem like "overacting", but I was not impressed with the Brainy/Coz power play. Mainly because it seemed really jeuvenile. Rokk loses his temper, Brainy tricks him with the open channel thing (I almost expected him to go "nyah nyah"), Jo loses his temper etc... even though the core of their differences are interesting, it played out like a high school brawl, imo. Coz also comes off as a major stiff -- he breaks into Brainy's lab then espouses trust within the team? He deserves to lose the team.

I can understand them acting like teens if that's what they are then fine but having these teens act this childish and having them as major players in intergalactic politics is a harder pill to swallow (well ok, yeah - real life politicians don't really act any better ...).

At the risk of a "what he said" post, I'll just add that I agree completely, except that it might have been okay with me if this issue HAD read like a high school brawl. Instead, for me, it read like a middle-aged man's conception of what a high school brawl might be like.

This issues dialogue read less "true" for me that the stilted hipness of a late '60s Teen Titans comic.

I was really unhappy with this issue, but maybe that's because, until now, I was ready to call the threeboot Legion the best version of the team ever. Now, well, the jury has been sequestered for a recount.

Awkward Pause Boy
Candidate

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Awkward Pause Boy   Email Awkward Pause Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Two things I keep forgetting to mention.

Why is Ayla explaining to Triplicate Girl that Cos broke into Brainy's lab? Triplicate Girl participated in the break-in. Was Triplicate Girl just being her triplicitous self, or might some of her not know what the rest is up to?

Also, the line from Nura about them leaving in the next 85 seconds is a nice touch. It's like these characters are their characters all the time.

From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

--I hope Lyle's dad actually thinks about what Lightning Lad said and looks into his promotion.

Ac couple of things bothered me about this. For one, Lightning Lad made reference to Lyle's dad having been a low level SP the last time the Legion deal with him. Now, maybe Lemnos is playing tricks with my memory, but I thought he was something of a mucky-muck, like the head of Earth, or Metropolis, or some such division. I definitly got the idea that Lyle's dad was somebody. I recall Lyle getting bitched out for not telling that his pop was a big a whoop with the SP's as he was.

But let's say that he did get some sort of Lemnow inspired promotion. NO ONE in the entire SP would overlook not knowing how that happened. Police departments, as much or perhaps more so than other organizations, are highly political. People OBSESS over their place in the pecking order.

My newspaper has been covering some changes in rank in the local Sheriffs' Department, in which some got promotions and some ended up with a seeming demotion. Prevailing opinion seems to be that the two most likely candidates for Sheriff next year are being put on an even kiel, while a few levels of supervision are being added between one man and his son.

But anyway, my point is, everyone has been talking about this. People do not just say, "Hmmm, so-and-so who used to be either above or below me is now my peer," and go about their business without comment.

Lyle's dad would have questioned his promotion by now if for no other reason than becasue everyone around him would have been questioning it.

quote:
--The Projectra scene was touching. Is her gain just "powers" or something else?

I assumed the gain is powers. But there was one panel I did not quite get, in which it looks like Light Lass is walking through an illusion, nonplussed. I am wondering if Projectra had illusion powers, although I had read her last appearance as indicating her wealth was her only "power."

quote:
--The Legion "coffers" being full is another new mystery. Lemnos's doing? Connected to Projectra's "gain"? A donation from R.J. Brande? Dare I suggest... Lester Spiffany?

Lester would be neat. I assumed Lemnos. He did say that he has manipulated things for the Legion's benefit. Certainly, if he is hoping to maneauver them into some grand battle, having everyone give up and go home because they are too broke to carry one would be a bad thing.

quote:
--So apparently there's a limited number of spots on the team (limited by the number of flight rings, perhaps?), and if one Legionnaire quits, someone from the encampment gets a chance to join? Interesting.

I have read previous issues as meaning that ALL the kids are Legionnaires, but the main team consists of those 15-20 who have rings, of which there are a limited number. I would think that, yes, if a ring becomes available for any reason, the team would hold a try-out to see who would get it.
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Brainy may be an "egotistical sociopath" but if I had to choose, I'd choose him over Cos in a heartbeat. When Brainy insults someone, at least he does it too his face. Cos is a freakin' hypocrite.

Agreed. Cos sounded more like an appropriate leader for Terror Firma.

quote:

I don't recall Chameleon ever being "poisonously bitter", but it might be a clue that he'll wind up siding with Brainy.

I completely did not get that remark either. Seemed the absolute antithesis of the character, thus far, as portrayed. Did it make sense to anyone?

quote:

- What is Cos doing to Sun Boy when he say's "Because it makes me look like an idiot"? I can't figure out what's grabbing hold of Dirk.

It looked to me like he was controling the metal in the floor on a molecular level, rearranging it into a sort of semi-viscous solid.

quote:

- Imra commands Ultra Boy to turn off his "super-strength", rather than his invulnerability. Strange.

It would have been interesting if just turning off the super-strength had resulted in Jo still getting in a normal strength pop to the jaw.
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Roll Call Weirdness:

1) Why is Lyle there?

Presumably becasue his father plays a significant role in this issue?

quote:

2) Who the heck are the new weird sillhouettes?

I only saw one weird sillhoette, the one that looks stangely like a Lone (ware)Wolf. The other option is that it is not a hint. Perhaps the fill-in artist simply made something up and nobody thought to correct it?
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

quote:
Incidentally, I find it odd that both the issues with fill-in art depart from the standard sillhouettes for the roll call.

Lending creadence to the editorial oversight theory.
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.