Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Long Live the Legion! » Let's talk about LSH #8 (potential spoilers aplenty)... (Page 6)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Let's talk about LSH #8 (potential spoilers aplenty)...
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi Guys
I really appreciate so many of you missing my artwork - this was the issue that I had to completely miss following the deaths I had to deal with earlier in the year - I'm back for the end of #9 and hopefully won't have to miss another for a long long time! It's nice to see other peoples' take on the LSH, but I have to admit I'd really love to be able to draw EVERY page the're on myself! [Smile]

Things really 'kick-in' with #10 and I hope you'll feel all the groundwork we've done pays-off!

Sno-Cone will be around for the next few issues for sure!

Thanks again!

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by ferroboy:

As for Lightning Lad, I again don't think it's a mistake. It could just be that his origin changed.

But how can Lightning Lad be from Trom if his twin sister is from Winath? Assuming Garth and Ayla are still twins. We know that Garth has a sister at least.

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
wow, the fill-in artist gets no love. that's got to be a rough gig.

By the way, does anyone else find it interesting how much time Element Lad and Phantom Girl spend together? First time we see them Phantom girl is providing dating tips from a batman comic, in this issue they are hanging out watching Angel (I wonder if it's the public domain by then). Just friends or will there be a transmutation into something else? [Smile]

From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wamu2
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wamu2           Edit/Delete Post     
by the way, is Sno-Cone a person, company, computer program? and why are people happy to see the name? thanks.
From: chicago, IL | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SiliconDream
I'd rather not be

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SiliconDream   Email SiliconDream         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Tromium:
Previously, it seemed to be the case that Jo's default state was invulnerability. My memory about it is hazy, but after his power-switching ability became established (he didn't have it originally), I don't ever recall an OFF state when he was completely impotent and unprotected, as he obviously is in this scene. Perhaps the less disciplined 3boot Jo he hasn't yet internalized the ability to automatically protect himself, or if he has, Imra's mental command caught him completely unawares. Maybe that shouldn't have surprised me, but it did, particularly insofar as Imra never even contemplated using this mind trick on him before. God knows it would have come in handy when he went berserk on a number of occasions in the past (e.g., Legion Lost).

From his self-description in #6, it looks like this Jo no longer has default invulnerability, and the explicitly conscious nature of his power-shifting ("If I imagine myself strong...") probably makes it more open to telepathic control. In this particular scene, I assumed he was already in super-strength mode preparatory to pounding on Cos.

quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
I also don't believe Karate Kid could fling Colossal Boy around like a gnat. For all his skill, he doesn't have super strength and Gim would weigh several tons in his giant form.

He did punch 70,000 tons of snow off a building a couple of issues ago, and in previous incarnations he's bounced Daxamites into other solar systems and countered earthquakes with a stomp. He's pretty good at faking superstrength when he needs to.
quote:
Also, if the HQ's walls are this easy to punch holes through, then God save them when the Fatal 5 or Mordru shows up.
It actually doesn't look like this Legion has anticipated serious battle on its home turf...just look all the future victims camped out around the HQ. Heck, they were the ones which saved the headquarters from S.P. demolition. However, I think the first Terror Firma fight was supposed to be a wakeup call that some bad guys out there aren't deterred by peaceful dissent and mass demonstration.
quote:
And what exactly was Dream Girl supposed to do against Colossal Boy in a fight, other than use her precognition to avoid him?
Probably just annoy him by buzzing his face and such--presumably most people in the fight weren't out for blood, after all.
From: Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
After the good issues 5, 6 & 7, this issue don't work for me.
A very weak story and poor art.
Barry come back!

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by wamu2:
by the way, is Sno-Cone a person, company, computer program? and why are people happy to see the name? thanks.

Sno Cone Studios is the company that did colors for the last Legion series. The poster mechana is an employee of Sno Cone (and the person specifically responsible for coloring the last series).
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by SiliconDream:
He did punch 70,000 tons of snow off a building a couple of issues ago, and in previous incarnations he's bounced Daxamites into other solar systems and countered earthquakes with a stomp. He's pretty good at faking superstrength when he needs to.

The snow thing was about striking in precisely the right spot to cause the snow drift to shatter, not about being strong enough to move 70,000 tons and when did he knock a Daxamite into another solar system?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I could see him knocking CB off-balance, and causing him to fall through the wall. But, if so, I'll agree that those are awfully sorry walls.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     
Hi everyone. For those of you that have asked, I colored about 1/3 of #8. The majority of it was done by my lovely and talented co-worker. (Last time we spoke on the subject he preferred to remain anonymous, so I omit his name out of respect for his privacy, and not 'cause I'm trying to hog the glory!)

We were actually tring to stay fairly consistent with previous issues, but I guess some personal style inevitably comes through and makes things look a little different.

Thanks to all who said kind things!

From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rjbrande
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rjbrande   Email rjbrande         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:
But how can Lightning Lad be from Trom if his twin sister is from Winath? Assuming Garth and Ayla are still twins. We know that Garth has a sister at least.

Maybe it's the 31st century version of being born in a taxi cab, except in this case it was a threshold...
Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mechana
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mechana           Edit/Delete Post     
Special thanks to Scott for his subtle but generous support. [Wink]
From: Canada | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Just read it! (after getting a tooth implant and killing a snake...what a day! But atleast i went to the store just to buy Legion.)

I think Kevin Sharpe did a fine job! I know Barry is the MVP of this series...by far...heck he's carrying the series! But Kevin did a good job. Sure some of his faces weren't that great and some panels spotty BUT I liked lots of it and see potential. I would like to see him fill in in the future again with a better feel for the title.

I liked Kevin's cartoony faces! And that double page spread where the members hear Cos' rant??? I love Barry's work but that is the best Phantom Girl and Ultra Boy have looked IMO thus far! As a big fan of both character Kevin got points for how he drew them!!! (don't worry Barry this is YOUR Legion. They might reboot once again if you leave. [Wink] )

Note: The panel with both Element Lad and Sun Boy is a fine example that Jan needs a color change! Both have a sphere on their chest's and same colors??? gah!

To the story? OMG I liked it. I read the spoilers about them acting like high school immature kids...and was cringing. Heck no at this rate I will take any action including a major spat between members! Infact it was in tradition with all former great team spats. I thought some things in the series seemed forced but this issue didn't.

Pretty good issue. yeah I miss Barry but Family Feud fight and kevin's PG and UB more than made up for it!

(but I can't wait for a subplot that has nothing to do with all this stuff)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barry Kitson
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barry Kitson   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The answers to the Lightning Lad planet of origin is explained in #9 - I promise! [Smile]

Hi Mechana - I haven't actually seen the coloring on #8 yet - but I'm looking forward to seeing it! (Everyone here sees the printed book before me!)

--------------------
Cheers
Barry

www.barrykitson.com

From: UK | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by mechana:
Hi everyone. For those of you that have asked, I colored about 1/3 of #8. The majority of it was done by my lovely and talented co-worker. (Last time we spoke on the subject he preferred to remain anonymous, so I omit his name out of respect for his privacy, and not 'cause I'm trying to hog the glory!)

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!

[Bouncing Boy]

Nobody colors the Legion as well as Mechana (and her co-workers at SNO-CONE Studios, of course) It's so nice to have you back on the series! And hearing Barry say that you'll be doing at least the next couple of issues really makes me happy. Can't wait to see you're colors on his art. That will be just awesome! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.