Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » MadroX and X-Factor Investigations (Page 8)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
I love PAD and I love Sook so I picked up #1 because... well, because it was the two of them, and then I picked up #2 because I enjoyed the first issue and I think I'll carry on getting it. That's not faint praise though sicne I have virtually never read any X-Men stuff and this is the first X book I've ever actually gone out and bought and as such i have almost no clue about any of the characters and what they're like and stuff. PAd had, so far, written them so that completely new readers can just dive straight in though. Sure there are things that i don't get but it's not a case of me sitting there and feeling like I have no idea what's going on (which to be honest can be a fault of PADs much as I love his writing).

That being said though can someone give me a basic run down of who the characters are and what they can do? Obviously I may be opening a whole can of worms here what with convoluted X-history but a potted history would be muchly appreciated. [Smile]

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
The non-convoluted backstory (from what I remember):
Jamie Madrox (The Multiple Man): The mutant one-man army. His own best friend. Kinetic force triggers his ability to create "dupes", and he seems to have an unlimited supply. PAD depicted him in his previous X-Factor run as something of a prankster and a goofball, but also introduced a dark side. He was deeply affected by the time in his life when his parents died and he was completely alone with only himself for company. Spent years working with geneticist Dr Moira MacTaggart on Muir Island. She's dead now.

Guido (Strong Guy): Jamie's straightman and butt of many jokes, Guido used to be bodyguard to intergalactic rock star Lila Cheney. He's strong.

Rahne (Wolfsbane): Former New Mutant. Very religious background, was almost killed for it when her powers emerged. She has two modes - the "werewolf" mode and full on four-legged wolf. Used to be a lot more shy and demure. Had a very special bond with fellow New Mutant Danielle Moonstar (who was empathic with animals). The aforementioned Dr. MacTaggart was like a mother to her.

Siryn (I forgot her name): daughter of the mutant Banshee (who might've just been killed off in "X-Men Genesis"), she inherited her father's sonic abilities. Of note is that Banshee was in a long-time relationship with the ubiquitous Dr MacTaggart, making her and Rahne "sisters" of a sort. She and Jamie also have a past. She's also a recovering alcoholic.

The others I'm not too clear on in terms of backstory...

[ January 03, 2006, 05:57 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Rictor: Son of mexican gun dealers. Hung around with the original X-Factor (which was made up of the original X-Men). Went on to join the New Mutants, a team that included Rahne. Rahne and Rictor were an item, but that seems to be in the past. Was later a memeber of X-Force with Siryn (Thressa Roarke Cassidy) and his best friend, Shatterstar.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

From Comicscontinuum:
After selling out more quickly than the first issue did, X-Factor #2 is going back to press, Marvel Comics announced on Tuesday.

Holy Canoli! Who'dathunkit?? I'm just glad to be able to enjoy a new title without the threat of cancellation hanging over its head.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
That's great news to brighten my morning. Thanks, Drake.

One last bit of information for you, Bevis: Rahne's surname is Sinclair.

I don't know if any current X-Factor readers other than myself are also fans of PAD's first Hulk run from the late 80s through the mid-late 90s, but I thought I'd mention that the old guy with the long white beard and hair looks to me a bit like the presumably deceased Agamemnon from the Pantheon (although Aggy had a long white beard and a bald head.) Maybe it's just a coincidence and doesn't mean anything...or maybe PAD has plans. It wouldn't be the first time he would bring characters from one Marvel title he wrote into another Marvel title he's writing. Which makes me hope that maybe we'll see the new Scorpion and/or her mother in X-Factor (they appeared in Hulk during PAD's brief second run, in the House of M tie-in issues.)

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It's good news that the title sold out. For Marvel, for readers, and for PAD.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
I don't know if any current X-Factor readers other than myself are also fans of PAD's first Hulk run from the late 80s through the mid-late 90s, but I thought I'd mention that the old guy with the long white beard and hair looks to me a bit like the presumably deceased Agamemnon from the Pantheon (although Aggy had a long white beard and a bald head.)

Actually, he bore a suspicious resemblance to Bucky. And died in Hulk 425.

quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
[QB]It's good news that the title sold out. For Marvel, for readers, and for PAD.

Actually not. I nearly didn't manage to get this issue.

And as for PAD: http://peterdavid.malibulist.com/archives/001018.html

[ January 05, 2006, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
[qb]I don't know if any current X-Factor readers other than myself are also fans of PAD's first Hulk run from the late 80s through the mid-late 90s, but I thought I'd mention that the old guy with the long white beard and hair looks to me a bit like the presumably deceased Agamemnon from the Pantheon (although Aggy had a long white beard and a bald head.)

Actually, he bore a suspicious resemblance to Bucky. And died in Hulk 425.

Yes, I already knew that, which is why I referred to him as "presumably deceased." [Razz]

Lots of dead characters are coming back to life, and I'm guessing Aggy's next in line. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm right. Time will tell. [Wink]

--------------------

Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
This guy's from the future, remember? (he's working off memories and historical records from his own time).

Given PAD, he's probably a far-future version of the very guy he was talking to. [Wink]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

We have no way of knowing right now whether this guy is telling the truth about being from the future, or whether he's fooling the villain because he has an agenda of his own. As I said, time will tell. [Smile]

--------------------

Reboot

#3.

"I'm Layla Miller. I know stuff."

Ouch.

[ February 02, 2006, 06:18 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------

DrakeB3004

I'm glad we're getting right into Layla Miller and what she's about. Good to see she's still intimately tied into Decimation and the larger story.

Like I said before, the tone and elements reminds me a lot of Buffy (or maybe Angel since it's more urban and darker). It looks like we'll be getting smaller cases revolving around a larger arc involving Singularity.

And PAD continues to explore the character implications of Madrox's abilities - moreso for what they mean to him as a person than just use of his powers.

DrakeB3004

quote:

While this puts a damper on being sold out, my unqualified notion is that if Marvel supports the book with reprints, then it might counter the effect David is talking about. And I think it's still good press -- among fans I think just hearing something sold out might pique someone's curiosity, especially if they're already familiar with the characters or were on the fence about checking it out.

[ February 02, 2006, 07:15 AM: Message edited by: DrakeB3004 ]

Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
quote:

While this puts a damper on being sold out, my unqualified notion is that if Marvel supports the book with reprints, then it might counter the effect David is talking about. And I think it's still good press -- among fans I think just hearing something sold out might pique someone's curiosity, especially if they're already familiar with the characters or were on the fence about checking it out.
But if they have to wait a month for a possible reprint, will they? Besides, the Law of Diminishing Returns on "sold out" notices kicked in at least a year ago, and they tend to generate more cynicism than interest these days.

And I didn't see any B&W X-Factor #2 covers today anyway...

[ February 02, 2006, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------

DrakeB3004

Just based on my own reactions, I'll usually take notice if I hear something has sold out but whether or not I try a new book will be based on general buzz and my feelings or initial interest in a property. My general feeling is that if there's enough buzz to get someone to think "maybe I'll check it out" it's not a matter of them waiting for the book, but a matter of getting them to pick it up and flipping through it the next time they happen to see it on the shelves.

But I never took marketing or anything, so ...

This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.