Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Adventure Comics #9/512: Preview/Discussion (Spoilers!) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Adventure Comics #9/512: Preview/Discussion (Spoilers!)
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
We like to keep people on their toes.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raging Bull
Maverick

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Raging Bull           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not enjoying Adventure Comics at the moment.

No, I don't want to read Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton to get the whole story!

And the first story in this issue ("Part Four: Namesake") was heavy on unmitigated silliness and light on... well, anything actually happening.

Why does Gim need to be holding Yera up for her to stare meaninglessly at that giant monitor? Can't she just use her flight ring, like everyone else? (Or stretch her torso or something?) It's just an excuse to show "big" Gim, which is yet another lazy element in a prolonged scene in which Brainy spaces out for over five pages, while everyone else stands around begging him to do something.

And the "everyone use your powers all at once" (with "less than a minute, guys," until the destruction of, like, everything) provoked an actual LOL WUT out of me.

Gates: summon "every iota," "every erg" of "teleportation" and shoot it at... wait, huh?

The subsequent story, with Superboy and a bunch of other Legionnaires, was scarcely better... but at least we got to see Tellus (grasping his cranium in the standard "I'm using mental powers" pose), Quislet, and even Tenzil biting off some robot's head.

--------------------
♦ Translated from 31st century Texan to 21st century English ♦

From: The open range | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by EmeraldEmpress:
Apart from Mon-El I have not seen Garth either...

Well Garth is supposed to be out searching for the "missing twin" Mekt told him about. So his absence does make story sense, surprisingly.

(Now whether is makes ANY sense that Garth would run off on his own into a possible LSV trap based on his psychotic brother's word and seemingly not tell anybody, well no. No it doesn't.)

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'm enjoying the Legion's part in the finale of the last 4 (5? 6?) years of Superman stories. Tieing together Zod, Braniac, New Krypton, Mon-El and the creation of the Legion's homeworlds is a neat, boffo package, in theory at least. I'm thrilled to see Mon-El (long one of my all-time favorite DC characters) receive a starring role. Inserting this story between the Silver Age origin and his time with the Legion is brilliant, from a geeky continuity fanboy perspective, and compelling and logical. How did introverted, bookish Lar Gand learn how to be a hero? Now we know. And I hope it leads to a genuinely heroic Mon-El in the Legion's time, too, as opposed to the guy always flying off to be alone exploring the universe. But I agree it doesn't do much as an issue of Adventure Comics. But it's just SO nice seeing the Legion in action with Supergirl, Superboy, and Superman, I'm not too particular at the moment. And Levitz is right around the corner.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kidflash2fan
could be rabid

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kidflash2fan   Author's Homepage   Email kidflash2fan         Edit/Delete Post     
is it bad that i just dont care?

i havent cared about any of the big events since LO3W and when you brake that story down to the core it was whiny prime. THE DEATH OF ROND (GRRRRRR!!!!) and a way to bring back Bart and Kon/Connor. dont get me wrong over all i love every panel every second 3 times legion the brainiac 5 saving the day with reboot brainiac 5 being the claim one which still has me giggling

but to my knowledge there are three big events going down Blackest night -the batman stuff and the new Krypton story line..

and when i got some of the legion stuff i was utterly 100% lost. the art work is so bad for most that i have no desire to find out whats going on. and they have managed to only aggravate me by extending Querl's dad life- his death was supposed to be one where he could have walked away from so when plusar shows up pretending to be his father Brainiac 5 could have believed Plusar was his long lost believed to be dead dad. and Querl's dad the man was Douchebag- he instilled things in Querl that drove him insane for going against them.

i understand they are trying to show he was a better man then all the other brainiac's before him but you can do that with out making him a ball of nice wrapped in dementia. you can show he's a good man, but a stern father who expects certain things from his son that Querl nature went against

i feel the legion is being whored out here...we can't get the sales of these books up so throw the legion in. legion fans will buy them...Levitz is coming back in May. i can hold out for him. the only thing that could get me to want to read these books if they bring back sliver age KARA. or Rond... or there is an entire and mean front to back issue of brainiac 5 kicking the shit out of brainiac 1 and mean like going ape shit, OH CRAP brainiac 5 lost all his marbles and is trying to destroy the universe crazy on brainiac 1 , and he needs to say things like 'no came to my birthday party cause of you, got my ass kicked until i was twelve.' and then and only then will i be impressed with this story line

--------------------
  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

i do commissions

From: ny | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sir Tim Drake
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sir Tim Drake   Author's Homepage   Email Sir Tim Drake         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Bull:
And the "everyone use your powers all at once" (with "less than a minute, guys," until the destruction of, like, everything) provoked an actual LOL WUT out of me.

There needs to be an immediate and permanent moratorium on scenes like this. It's such a cliche. And as you correctly observe, it's especially bad when one of the powers involved is teleportation.

--------------------
Aaron Kashtan/Sir Tim Drake

From: Providence, RI | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
"Bouncing Boy is... sad at the imminent destruction of all that is. :-("

For some reason, I've been feeling really tempted to post this as my facebook status! Maybe on whatever day it is in December 2012 that the world is supposed to end...
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Tim Drake:
quote:
Originally posted by Raging Bull:

There needs to be an immediate and permanent moratorium on scenes like this. It's such a cliche. And as you correctly observe, it's especially bad when one of the powers involved is teleportation.
Awwww, but teleportation was the important one!
Gates teleported him back to the 21st century, the rest were just the batteries and containment field!
[Smile]

Marvel does those kind of scenes all of the time, and have for ages.
DC?
Not so much.

Jeckie took her mask off in Superman: the Last Stand of New Krypton, permanently, I think.
Hurray!

But that's another thread, I guess.

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with you Candle. I think Jeckie looks better now without that silly mask, and the white of her hideous costume looks a bit better with her white hair (sort of toned down and blended in if you will).
The story was average at best, but it's only one installment of the larger story anyway.
It was a bit odd how the Legionnaires in the past reacted so ho-hum at seeing Brainiac 5 appear, I think 1 or 2 of them had on a faint smile. They haven't seen each other in a long time (I don't think they know RJ was assasinated do they?) so I was expecting the reunion to be a bit more emotional somehow. Oh well, no time to get all mushy when the fate of the universe both past and present hangs in the balance I guess.
Ho-hum.

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Jeckie looks way better now without the mask. Absolutely. This is like the Jeckie of my childhood, Miss Royal Sexiness [Smile]

As for the "end of everything" bit: Yes, it made me yawn as well. So "been there, done that". I don't want to know how many rifts in time I have read about in the last 20 years. Just encountered one during my reboot reread (the silly Darkseid story).

My personal opinion on this is that less is more: You don't have to have the whole of Earth or the universe on the brink of annihilation to tell a good story. I really hope that Mister Paul Levitz will downtone the stories a little in his new LSH ongoing - you can only save the universe so often without getting boring...

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Well said, CK. Remember how great the story about rescuing Vi from the Imskian separatists was? Simple, personal, engaging, Mr. Levitz can write a story without the undead rising throughout the known universe.

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jimgallagher
www.dodeka12.com

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jimgallagher           Edit/Delete Post     
Chemical King for president! My thoughts exactly. I'm so sick of every comic book out there having to have ever-escallating levels of crisis.

Doesn't anybody ever just knock off a bank anymore? Or how about a nice simple mysterious disappearance?

--------------------
Buy my new graphic novel!
http://www.dodeka12.com

From: Champaign, IL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by jimgallagher:

Doesn't anybody ever just knock off a bank anymore?

No, but Fortress Lad did once knock up a bank!
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.