Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview/Spoilers) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview/Spoilers)
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=11156

Looks like a catch up issue, checking in on all the Legionnaires. Interesting that the Losties have been gone for a year. With the supposed compressed timeline stuff, that's a big gap.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I like issues like this from time to time, a regrouping.

A year does seem like a long time and it's a big gap for the LOST timeline based on hours.
Hundreds of hours but still.

Walt Simonson drawing the Legion.
Wow!
And his take is certainly different.
Everyone looks older, but still very good.
[Yes]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
wow....the statues of 7 legionnaires.....brrr....especially Quislet....

and no mention of XS!!!!! grrr......

[ January 17, 2012, 12:22 AM: Message edited by: superboymddjr ]

From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I really don't like Simonson's art here.

On the other hand, I didn't like it in his classic Thor run, either, but the amazing writing allowed me to look past it and just go with the great story.

On the other, other hand, Simonson isn't writing this story, so I'm thinking I'm gonna be stuck with gritty Simonson art and no amazing Simonson writing to make it go down smooth...

On the other, other, other hand, Urk! Heh!

Also, Gravity Kid and Power Boy! Gone, but not forgotten!

Or, worryingly, we are being reminded of them for a Chekhov's Gun reason, so that they are fresh in our minds when Takron-Galtos gets blowed up and they are redshirted...

Argh! I just leapfrogged from enthusiastic back to anxious! I need a nerve tonic!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Candlelight:

Walt Simonson drawing the Legion.
Wow!
And his take is certainly different.
Everyone looks older, but still very good.
[Yes]

Checked out the 5 page preview in the link and I like it a lot too, but can't help grumbling:
"So they bring back the older versions, then a few months later they youthefy them for the relaunch, and a few months after that they look older again? Grr."

Normally I'd just chalk it up to a different artist's style, but given the unusual circumstance of the characters' age ping-ponging so very very recently you'd think they'd be a tad careful with that particular stylistic gap for at least the rest of the year. I wonder if this was a fill-in issue where the art has been waiting since before the relaunch?

Couldn't recognize a lot of the Legionnaires in that hall of statues. Has anyone made a list?

LOL'ed at Jacques's Phantom Girl joke.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Silver Age Lad
Part-time member living in another century

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Silver Age Lad   Email Silver Age Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Shining Son:
Couldn't recognize a lot of the Legionnaires in that hall of statues. Has anyone made a list?

First panel:

Invisible Kid and probably Ferro Lad & Earth Man

Second panel:

Karate Kid
Chemical King
Variable Lad
Kid Psycho
Can't tell probably Gates
Tellus
Chameleon Girl
Wildfire
Tyroc
Timber Wolf
Dawnstar
Ferro Lad

--------------------
"Our devotion to each other was unexplainable"
"You were kids"
"No Batman, we were Legion"

From: Ancient Kingdom of Northumbria, UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:

From this page:
http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?pid=11156&pg=5

Third Panel: Invisible Kid I with the head band, and what looks like Earth Man's boots.

Fourth Panel:

Left Side: Karate Kid, Chemical King, Variable Lad, Kid Psycho

Right Side (Back to Front): Gates, Tellus, Chameleon Girl, Wildfire, Tyroc, Timber Wolf, Dawnstar, Ferro Lad.

From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
Thanks guys!

I saw the wings and assumed Dawnstar but the face looked so darned caucasian I had to wonder [Smile]

I actually recognized everyone on the left side except Variable Lad, don't remember ever hearing of him. Closest I could figure was Dr Gym'll.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:

I actually recognized everyone on the left side except Variable Lad, don't remember ever hearing of him. Closest I could figure was Dr Gym'll.

He's Gym'll nephew, from last year's Adventure Comics run.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Odd that he gets a statue, since he was an Academy student rather than a full-fledged Legionnaire. Shouldn't Mentalla have a statue if he does?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Jan must be trying to impress Harmonia, as he's never been all *that* much of a cold fish. Never the life of the party, he's not been above the banter he's criticizing before.

Maybe he's jealous of Dirk and Brek's friendship?

I don't like what I'm reading, at least as far as Jan goes. Though it was nice to see him support a grieving Cosmic Boy. Maybe it was the character going immediately from that to the cut-ups that made him so aloof?

Oooor- Harmonia's an evil emotion-manipulator sowing dissension in the ranks....

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Odd that he gets a statue, since he was an Academy student rather than a full-fledged Legionnaire. Shouldn't Mentalla have a statue if he does?

Well he did die defending the Legionnaires, so it's not a stretch to think he was given posthumous membership. Kid Psycho wasn't a full fledged member either (though he had honorary or reserve status I think).
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
huh? If the Legion Lost crew became lost a year ago, then that means Earthman's death and Mon-El giving up the GL ring happened at least a year ago. Doesn't quite fit with recent Shady sobbing at his grave. Also the scene in the 1st issue of Mon addressing the team on their recent losses and recent additions.
Why did they do this?
Really curious what age the Ardeen-Ranzz twins will be when (if?) we see them again.

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess since Triplicate Girl/Duo Damsel is now Duplicate Girl, her statue is relegated to the back row or has been removed entirely (I know, personally, I'd be a little creeped out going to the Memorial Room and seeing my own image there).

BTW, have we gotten an explanation yet on how Luornu actually got amped up to Duplicate Girl?

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Superboy-Supergirl
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Superboy-Supergirl   Email Superboy-Supergirl         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

She did have one b4...don't know why its missing here.

--------------------
Bring back the super-cousins

From: nyc | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.