Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview/Spoilers) (Page 5)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion of Super-Heroes #5 (Preview/Spoilers)
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
I really like the concept of this issue, and the art was dynamic, but both the art and the writing kept me irritated page after page.

The clock was the prime irritant. Good idea but not used well.

Are we to assume that the last page depicts Sun Boy at Stonehenge? And that Stonehenge was the "big old stones" that Dream Girl saw in her dream? If so, why in the world did "Stonehenge" not show up in Mon-El's Computo search? That's just silly writing.

Simonson does make the characters look older. Gravity Kid looks like he could be 60!

There's something about Levitz's dialogue that almost always seems off to me. I haven't figured out how to describe it though....

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:

Are we to assume that the last page depicts Sun Boy at Stonehenge? And that Stonehenge was the "big old stones" that Dream Girl saw in her dream? If so, why in the world did "Stonehenge" not show up in Mon-El's Computo search? That's just silly writing.

I assume this is setting up a further storyline. If not, the plotline is actually a bit of a waste.

I actually found it odd the Nura wouldn't have recognized Stonehenge even without a search. I mean, she's lived on Earth for years at this point, and one would think she would've encountered a reference to it at some point.

Another oddness as far as the clock goes is that the last page is set in a different time zone than the rest of the story, so it actually happens earlier than some of the scenes preceding it.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shining Son
oversexed young adult

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shining Son   Email Shining Son         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:

I actually found it odd the Nura wouldn't have recognized Stonehenge even without a search. I mean, she's lived on Earth for years at this point, and one would think she would've encountered a reference to it at some point.

(Here I go extrapolating into future society again)

Maybe not so odd. There's hundreds more civilized worlds in the 31st century than the one we know of now, each with fascinating things and mysteries (AND popular culture, news and politics), all competing for attention. We don't even know how many Earth mysteries and /or megaliths may have popped up after the 21st century but still become ancient by the 31st, and they're competing for attention too.

Add that thanks to the relaunch Nura's supposed to be just a teenager yet again-- or at least younger than she was portrayed a year ago-- and the odds that she would have run across references to Stonehenge in her few years on Earth are probably lower than it first seems.

From: Manhattan, NY | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

It's certainly not impossible, but there's still a bit of tension in that she's depicted as someone who seems to have done some exploring of Earth culture (she mentions eating in Paris), and apparently Stonehenge is still in use for Solstice celebrations, so one would think that it would've warranted at least some mention on the local Earth-news. As I said, it just strikes me as a bit odd.

And, on the subject of missing Legionnaires, I'm surprised the opportunity to see if Gim still celebrates Hannukah in this version was missed.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Candlelight
A forever cadet!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candlelight   Email Candlelight         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree about Nura not recognizing Stonehenge.
She should have.
Hasn't Naltor been portrayed as connected to the other magic based worlds, Soceror's World and Orando?
That being said, I kind of wonder why she and Glorith haven't connected. Nura IS a prophetess.

I'm also wondering about the timeline that the Legion is currently set in.
The Ranzz twins looked about the same as they did presoftboot, don't they?
I realize that 4 years doesn't make much of a difference in looks for late teens, early twenties, but it's a huge difference for the little ones.
[Confused]

--------------------
'In the twinkling of an eye'
I'll be dancing in the sky!

Come, join me!

From: Salem, Oregon USA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chemical King
Back in continuity

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chemical King   Email Chemical King         Edit/Delete Post     
Decent issue, great artwork. I liked the fact that so many team members had off duty moments. Some of those moments like Ultra Boys seemd forced, though. This issue tried to be "Day in our lifes" from Teen Titans glory days, and it failed. It was good, but not spectacular.

So if I counted correct, the Legion currently has 20 members? But who was the dead member next to Kid Psycho and Chemical King?

From: Bamberg, Germany | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
Statues are listed in the first page of the thread. Are you thinking of Variable Lad?
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
It's certainly not impossible, but there's still a bit of tension in that she's depicted as someone who seems to have done some exploring of Earth culture (she mentions eating in Paris), and apparently Stonehenge is still in use for Solstice celebrations, so one would think that it would've warranted at least some mention on the local Earth-news. As I said, it just strikes me as a bit odd.

Whether Nura recognized Stonehenge or not, Computo certainly should have pulled up the reference. That's the "silly writing" part.

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Well, I suppose it depends on the instructions they gave Computo. They really had no way of knowing that what Nura saw was on Earth, and I'm sure there's tons of weird "big old stones" throughout the known universe. Though one would think it would probably have come up before Stone Boy!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally read this one last week and found it to be a breath of fresh air! It's probably the first normal-sized issue I've truly enjoyed since the book went down from 30 pages and $3.99. (If any book NEEDS 30 pages, it's this one, IMO.)

It wasn't perfect, but I've been missing characterization and downtime in this series for a long time. There were little nuggets for most of the chacters, and I'm especially loving how Paul is embracing the Vi/Ayla relationship . It's especially cool that it's not a Big Deal and just a normal thing.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of Walt Simonson, but his art seemed scratchier than normal and perhaps inappropriately inked. In fact I'm not toally sure I would've recognized it as his if he weren't credited. Not sure if this reflects a new style for him or what. Not horrible, really, but not what I was hoping to see from a hero of mine.

Overall, it was nice to finally get an issue that I enjoyed after a long wait. The last exceptional issues of Paul's LSH I've read were last year's annual and issue 6 of the previous series (another character-focused one, btw.) I hope we get to see more of our Legionnaires as characters and less as plot devices as we have from the LSV storyline thru the relaunch, IMO.

[ March 03, 2012, 03:32 PM: Message edited by: Lard Lad ]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Easily the best issue of the series so far, imo!

I absolutely agree!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by razsolo:
I actually prefer the name Duplicate Damsel over Duplicate Girl...I get people don't like it because it' a mouthful, but it's not like it's any worse than Princess Projectra or Matter-Eater Lad...I like the alliteration and the endearingly proud usage of hokey codenames which is a Legion tradition [Wink]

Me too [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.