Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » The Legion of Super-Heroes » Legion stories that haven't been done to death... (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Legion stories that haven't been done to death...
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
This may be my own weird thing but for some reason I've always wanted to read a locked-room, play-fair murder mystery featuring the Legion. Like maybe on a star-ship or something.

I know there were a few sort-of mystery stories in the Adventure-era, and there was that 'Who Shot Laurel Kent?' from the Baxter-era, but none of them really fit the bill of an Agatha Christie style murder mystery as far as I recall.

Obviously a story like that would be too 'small' and self-contained to feature the whole team, but it would be great for a spotlight issue on one or two members - say Saturn Girl and Chameleon Boy for example? Or Invisible Kid and Phantom Girl?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome46:
I read it, BB. I was just teasing you. (Brother/brother incest is a huge thing in Supernatural fandom/fanfic. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. It's one of those things that I wrongly assumed everyone knew.)

And even when I do disagree with people, I'm not "trying to start childish internet wars." Did I miss the bulletin where we were all required to agree with one another all the time about everything?

[Confused]

I'll let others decide whether they believe that to be a HUGE departure from your original intent.

You made no reference to "disagreement" in your post. It was a simple, clear intent to change the meaning of another's post and then make fun of the poster and the post. In the brief time I've been here, this is the second time you've "snipped" to change the meaning of one of my posts and maybe, maybe there is a problem with something you assumed that everyone knew, that the reference to Walgreens was a way to call me "white trash."

Anyhow, my preference would be you not quote me, agreement or disagreement. Based upon brief exposure, I don't consider you a particularly ethical poster.

Walgreen's = White Trash?

That would mean that we're both "White Trash," since I live ten minutes from Walgreen's and shop there all the time.

[Roll Eyes]

I already apologized here for my assumption about a perfectly harmless subject. If that isn't good enough, then you seriously need to take this to a mod. Because in my humble opinion, you're making a huge damn fuss over nothing.

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by Blockade Boy:
quote:
Originally posted by cleome46:
I read it, BB. I was just teasing you. (Brother/brother incest is a huge thing in Supernatural fandom/fanfic. Sorry I didn't make that clearer. It's one of those things that I wrongly assumed everyone knew.)

And even when I do disagree with people, I'm not "trying to start childish internet wars." Did I miss the bulletin where we were all required to agree with one another all the time about everything?

[Confused]

I'll let others decide whether they believe that to be a HUGE departure from your original intent.

You made no reference to "disagreement" in your post. It was a simple, clear intent to change the meaning of another's post and then make fun of the poster and the post. In the brief time I've been here, this is the second time you've "snipped" to change the meaning of one of my posts and maybe, maybe there is a problem with something you assumed that everyone knew, that the reference to Walgreens was a way to call me "white trash."

Anyhow, my preference would be you not quote me, agreement or disagreement. Based upon brief exposure, I don't consider you a particularly ethical poster.

Not knowing anything about Supernatural or it's brother-on-brother love themes, I was also a bit confused by cleome's initial post, BB.

But I didn't read her post as an attack on you.

If you were already feeling defensive from something she might have written before then I can see how it might have lead you to that conclusion... but I think this might just be a case of a joke that didn't translate so well online.

(From someone who mis-interpreted a post not long ago and took offence unnecessarily.)

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
This may be my own weird thing but for some reason I've always wanted to read a locked-room, play-fair murder mystery featuring the Legion. Like maybe on a star-ship or something.

I know there were a few sort-of mystery stories in the Adventure-era, and there was that 'Who Shot Laurel Kent?' from the Baxter-era, but none of them really fit the bill of an Agatha Christie style murder mystery as far as I recall.

Obviously a story like that would be too 'small' and self-contained to feature the whole team, but it would be great for a spotlight issue on one or two members - say Saturn Girl and Chameleon Boy for example? Or Invisible Kid and Phantom Girl?

I love a good Agatha Christie story!!!

There was one Golden Girls episode where they found themselves in that exact situation. Dorothy solves the case!

and ... I loved the Who shot Laurel Kent story!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I absolutely love the "locked spaceship" mystery idea!

"Murder on the Nova Express!" for the win!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
[Yes]

I would read it! (Sadly, I don't know who should draw it now that Gene Colan is no more. Maybe they could reunite Simonson/Palmer.)

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Oooohhh my mind has just run with the idea and now I've got this great plot in mind featuring Saturn Girl, Chameleon Boy and Shrinking Violet on a broken down space-cruiser while a murderer stalks the passengers.

I won't give too much away but let's just say that all is not what it seems, and the Legionnaires might find that the killer is a lot closer than they realise!

Hire me DC!

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Its Chameleon Boy!!!!! [Bouncing Boy]

Also, I could see ... Dream Girl, Saturn Girl, Cham and Brainy ... in a competition ... like the writing competition that spawned the story Frankenstein ...

Four (or more) Legionnaires put their detective skills to the test in a somewhat recreational bout ... in what seems a cut and dried murder case ... and things quickly become more than they seem!

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46

Oh, I would uh, kill for a reunion of the "Universo Four!"

(But I don't want to read Cham as a murderer. I was annoyed enough with that "Durlan Killer" arc last year. That story made my teeth hurt. [Frown] )

--------------------

Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Its Chameleon Boy!!!!! [Bouncing Boy]

^ haha Would I be that obvious? [Wink]

Or maybe it's a double-bluff and it does turn out to be Chameleon Boy after all?

Or maybe it's a triple bluff and it's actually one of the others? Or none of them at all?

Let's just say, I like to be surprised... and I've thought this one through. [Smile]

cleome46

I smell a "mirrorverse" story. [Big Grin]

(I suppose those really have been done to death all over, though.)

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hee-hee... the title of this thread and a potential LSH murder mystery makes me giggle.

Love 'Murder on the Nova Express'... would you rather read a story with the Legionnaires as suspects or detectives?

If the former, the cast could be pretty large. Esp if a sub-division (the Universo Four or the Espionage Squad) are the ones doing the detecting. If the latter, the number of investigating Legionnaires should be small.

The two would make for vastly different kinds of stories. I can see benefits in both.

I guess I'd prefer the scenario with a few Legionnaires either called in to investigate, or happening to be on board for some reason or other. I love the idea of 'the Universo Four', but I'd like to remind the board that Element Lad has acted as a pretty decent detective in at least one story. Jan, Brainy and Shrinking Violet would make a pretty terrific small cast.

Maybe an established LSH villain or two would be on board?

The idea of a bunch of Legionnaires as suspects is pretty intriguing too. Maybe a 'locked HQ' mystery that doesn't involve murder, but some other crime which wouldn't require the culprit to become a villain and face expulsion from the team.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Hee-hee... the title of this thread and a potential LSH murder mystery makes me giggle.

HAHA!

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Love 'Murder on the Nova Express'... would you rather read a story with the Legionnaires as suspects or detectives?

Tonight on the Legion of Super-Heroes ... They have to clear ... THEMSELVES! *dun dun dunnnnn*

[Smile]

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I think to make it most interesting, you'd have to have at least a couple of Legionnaires as suspects (if it's a multi-parter, at least one issue should end on the cliffhanger of the evidence pointing to one of the Legionnaires), though I'd want a variety of characters as suspects. The murderer should actually turn out to be someone who matters, rather than just Joe Martian who happens to be traveling on the spaceship.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
Big yes to lots of these ideas!

Love Mystery Lad's suggestions of follow-ups to Adventure stories (even if just mentioning these worlds and creatures and races, and letting us know that they still exist). Also of developing relationships / friendships that affect the larger story and aren't (like Thom and Dirk's one-time friendship) going to be abandoned for the shiny new thing.

I totally agree with Invisible Brainiac about more downtime. An issue dedicated to a 'day in the life' could be a great way to focus on the ginormous and compelling 31st century background, as well as flesh out some characterization beats. (The Simonson drawn issue, IMO, fell down in that they felt it necessary to show *every* Legionnaire, leaving room for nothing more than cameos, really.)

All four of Harbinger's ideas appeal to me. I've already written about Myar, the Alchemy Planet, so that's a silver age concept I'd love to see explored. Invisible Jacques either needs to be developed, or sidelined. He's a waste of space, currently. More on Lallor and the Wanderers, of course, would be great, or even more on the Subs or the old-school Academy students. It's been a long time since the days when those others would be called in to deal with a crisis. (Where were the Subs during the Takron-Galtos breakout, anyway? The Legion used to occasionally call up the reserves and Substitutes for big stuff like that...)

We've seen a little bit of the investigative / Legionnaire j'accuse! stuff over the last decades (Jo on Rimbor, framed for the murder of An Ryd, Threeboot Cham investigating the 'locked room murder' of the police prisoner and catching Jeyra Entin, etc.) but, well-written, there's always room for more of that!

A murder mystery in which Chameleon Boy turns out to be the corpse (because they faked the death of someone who was about to be assassinated, to flush out the real assassin!) could be funky!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.